Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long lasting fallout from storyline

• 19-11-2014 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭

Was just wondering apart from Barbara being shot and put in a wheelchair (until the reboot) what other events in comics that had a major fallout, either for the world or a character, are there that haven't been changed back(again, treating pre and new 52 as 2 separate worlds)?

So rules out Knightfall, Death in the Family and Death of Captain America.
    I know the Ultimate comics are meant to have the rule of once a character dies they're dead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was just wondering apart from Barbara being shot and put in a wheelchair (until the reboot) what other events in comics that had a major fallout, either for the world or a character, are there that haven't been changed back(again, treating pre and new 52 as 2 separate worlds)?

So rules out Knightfall, Death in the Family and Death of Captain America.
    I know the Ultimate comics are meant to have the rule of once a character dies they're dead.

Ultimate has broken that rule a few time, the most recent was a big mistake.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The old joke was "Nobody in comics stays dead except Bucky and Uncle Ben". And then Bucky came back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Superman ruined everything.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Superman ruined everything.

To be fair I think you need to blame Jesus for popularising that particular storyline ;)

I think the regular use of resurrection/they didn't die/clone/parallel universe version storylines is one of many aspects of superhero comics that I've found I'm just not interested in. The thing is, once or twice as a storyline it can work quite well - but when the hook is supposed to be shared-universe storytelling you start wondering after a while how come every time someone dies we get the teary "OMG THEY'RE GONE FOREVEEEEEEEEEER!" type wailing and gnashing, when at this point everyone on just about any superhero team knows at least one person who's come back from the dead. (That was one thing I did like about Final Crisis, that Morrison introduced the line at Martian Manhunter's funeral where Superman says something like "We'll miss him every day...and pray for a resurrection". The rest of the event was arse, mind you, but that - and the Final Crisis Aftermath: Escape miniseries - was good.)

Advertisement