Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computer wont turn off

Options
  • 24-08-2014 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

Hey, I've got an older Intel DG965WH (early core 2 duo board) that I bought second hand and I'm trying to use as a server. But I have this weird issue and I've no idea what is causing it so I thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone has any ideas. When I turn the machine off, it turns itself back on again after a second or two. So far I've tried disconnecting it from the lan, disabling the lan in bios, removing pci devices, replacing the power supply, disconnecting the front panel, removing the motherboard from the case, updating the bios, downgrading the bios, upgrading the bios again. It will turn itself on after a second or two, even when the power is disconnected and reconnected. It happens on both linux and windows.

Can't think what else to try here, anyone have any ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Knasher wrote: »
    Hey, I've got an older Intel DG965WH (early core 2 duo board) that I bought second hand and I'm trying to use as a server. But I have this weird issue and I've no idea what is causing it so I thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone has any ideas. When I turn the machine off, it turns itself back on again after a second or two. So far I've tried disconnecting it from the lan, disabling the lan in bios, removing pci devices, replacing the power supply, disconnecting the front panel, removing the motherboard from the case, updating the bios, downgrading the bios, upgrading the bios again. It will turn itself on after a second or two, even when the power is disconnected and reconnected. It happens on both linux and windows.

Can't think what else to try here, anyone have any ideas.

Is there any pin which might be responsible for wake on lan or other kind of 'wake'? Something wrong with the power button?
    Any beeps when it is starting up?

Look in Bios for 'Remain off after power failure' in power management area.

Try to shutdown this machine using cmd: shutdown /p /t 001 or shutdown -h (linux).

I bet something is wrong with power button itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

If it's a laptop take the battery out. Desktop pull it out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

sebphoto wrote: »
    Is there any pin which might be responsible for wake on lan or other kind of 'wake'? Something wrong with the power button?
    Any beeps when it is starting up?

Look in Bios for 'Remain off after power failure' in power management area.

Try to shutdown this machine using cmd: shutdown /p /t 001 or shutdown -h (linux).

I bet something is wrong with power button itself.

There are no pins on the motherboard for wake on lan, and no beeps on startup. The bios is set to stay off after a power failure. I don't think it is a problem with the power button, as I've removed the motherboard from the case, to see if it was an electrical short, and it still happened. Also comes straight back up if I call shutdown -h.
    If it's a laptop take the battery out. Desktop pull it out

You mean the bios battery? Tried that overnight and it still happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Check the front panel headers on the motherboard for a visible short, in particular the two power switch pins.
    You could try giving the whole board a blast with some compressed air. Maybe a tiny piece of metal is shorting something somewhere.
    Failing that I'd say you've got a faulty board.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

yes to air, but no to canned air. I would rather go for ultrasonic cleaning as it's perfect for electronics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Turn off all Power management in the BIOS

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

maki wrote: »
    Check the front panel headers on the motherboard for a visible short, in particular the two power switch pins.
    You could try giving the whole board a blast with some compressed air. Maybe a tiny piece of metal is shorting something somewhere.
    Failing that I'd say you've got a faulty board.
    I'm leaning towards faulty board to be honest. I've tried disconnecting the front panel connectors, and their aren't really any extra pins, so it can't be that one of them are shorted.

I don't have any compressed air, but to be honest I don't think this is the case either, the board is almost shockingly clean. I think the board is probably faulty, but it was cheep to begin with so it isn't the end of the world. I was planning on using a raspberry pi as a print server, so I've hooked up that pi to the power pins via an optocoupler and I can use that to short the power pins for 10 seconds, which does seem to make it turn permanently off. Bit of a hack but it does seem reliable.

Advertisement