Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Birthday Gift Suggestions for an O or an O

• 25-07-2014 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Ok I need suggestions, seriously! There is a birthday 'do' coming up for a chap who has reached the big seven-oh. I don't know him well enough to know what gift to bring and I'm panicking so thought it best to turn to O & O's. I also thought it might make an interesting thread. So chaps and chapesses, suggestions for a birthday gift for an oul'fella, and throw in your suggestions for oul'wans too. (Remember, I'm skint!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

make up a basket of tracklements & preserves

a cheap plastic basket from a supermarket or hardware place

half fill with shredded paper

add a jam, a mustard, a chutney (odd number of items works best) homemade or bought as nice as you can afford.

tie a ribbon on it

jobs a good un

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I have a whole list of stuff.
    Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    ... (Remember, I'm skint!)
    Oh. Never mind.

In reality some of the nicest gifts I've ever had have been home-made. At this time of the year fresh/wild fruit is abundant. Conceder making a blackcurrent (Créme de cassis) or a blackberry (Crème de mûre) liqueur. Easy and quick to make and reasonably cheap.
    "How to" link: http://promenadeplantings.com/2012/09/08/creme-de-cassis/

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

If you cook or bake then homemade is an easy solution for you and people love the results.

Lemon curd, onion marmalade, shortbread biscuits,chocolate truffles. Jar them up, put a bit of material over the lid and tie a ribbon round that, into a basket or pretty box and off you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

All good. I can do that. And here I was thinking of Micky Mouse socks! :rolleyes:

Advertisement