Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which mic?

• 01-05-2014 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I think i posted this in the wrong forum earlier. I'm not sure if this the right one either so please let me know if it's not!

I've started using my Gopro for recording spins and track days on my motorbike. Im still in the early phase of figuring out basic editing but I'll get there eventually! It's the HD Hero 1 I have so no external mic input and the sound quality sucks. Engine and exhaust noise is muffled, even using the skeleton door. I'm thinking of buying a Zoom H1 and using an external mic at the back of the bike, near the exhaust, to record a seperate audio file. As I haven't a clue about recording sound, which type of mic would be suitable? It would need to be fairly cheap and small enough not to get in the way. Wind noise could also be a problem at high speeds so I suppose some kind of sock would also be needed. Anyone have any experience of recording sounds like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Zoom H1's on board mics would work perfectly. I use redhead windcovers on my audio recorders and would recommend them. Pricey, but they should get rid of wind noise well even moving at speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭sean61

Zoom H1's on board mics would work perfectly. I use redhead windcovers on my audio recorders and would recommend them. Pricey, but they should get rid of wind noise well even moving at speed.

I'll probably still have to get a mic because I've nowhere to mount the Zoom to the bike. I plan on keeping it under the seat and running a mic near the exhaust. Would an ordinary lavalier mic be good enough? I'd say the bike goes over 100db so it might be a bit too loud but I've no experience with recording audio so I could be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Lavalier wouldn't be great for that kind of audio. You could get a clamp to mount the zoom to the bike - manfrotto superclamp for example, that's how I've gotten audio, but it's been a pedal bike, not a motorbike. Should still be a spot to clamp to the bike though.

Here's a video of someone who's mounted a camera (gopro I'd assume) to their bike with a manfrotto clamp - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp53Lb7ah3M

Would work just as well with your zoom H1.

Advertisement