Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Law in Maynooth

• 27-07-2009 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi!
    Im seriously thinking of doin Law but I have no idea where to do it!
    I was thinking of doin Law & Arts in Maynooth but im unsure.
    I was wondering if people could shed some light on info about the course like:Are the lecturers good?,progression after course etc...
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭BarryDoodles

<edit>

I'm going into second year law and economics (took economics as my arts subject) and am currently spending the summer acting as a researcher in the dept. of Law and Business.

<edit>

On the 'arts' side of the degree, Law is competetive. Alot of people are struggling after they graduate and the arts side adds an extra dimension to your degree and may be the difference between employed or unemployed.

<edit>
    Go to the legal discussion forum and see how difficult things are in the legal profession lately. Your primary degree is only part of it. The extra qualifications are what makes your C.v that is research, society postions, external courses etc.

I apologise for the grammer and spelling, i'm in a bit of a state with a hangover at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 eze

Hey BarryDoodles,

Helpful stuff. Basically after getting less than i expected results in my leaving this week I know i won't get my first choice of Bus&french DCU but had arts down as the second choice. So really I was thinking..Law Bus French. And probably drop Law after first, thats how it works yea?, but it may be the case where I like it i'll stick with it and drop one of the others. Is it worth doing just to get a taste or is it really for people who want to do law? Even after doing it for a year will it even be worth noting later on for a job when i graduate?

Any help is much appreciated. Cheers

An arts student selects three subjects in first year and then in second year selects two subjects of the three.

Should you select Business and French you'll walk out with a BA
    Should you select Law and blah you'll walk out with a BCL (better)

If you want to continue Law into second year from arts you need to score above 60%...this conflicts with drinking and general adventures which form the most part of first year (or atleast did for me)

French has its own problems getting into decond year (prolly harder than law from what I hear)

As for after college think of you C.V, Two modules in contract law will look quite good. Personally I intend on jamming Politics <snip> on my C.v so that I can show grounding in the analysis of power, political arena etc etc

On a completely different note Law in UCD 470, Law in Maynooth 475 Swish :)
    I'm dying to see these First year Law through arts people...arts students are always so crazy :p

P.s lol "eze"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

French has its own problems getting into decond year (prolly harder than law from what I hear)

Out of interest, what are the problems you've heard about with getting into what I can only assume is supposed to be second year??

The above posts represent a hungover students opinion and not fact.

In the past year NUIM's Law Department has moved building. Welcomed Arts students. Welcomed new lecturers and said goodbye to others. Created Links with law firms offering training contracts. Started a magazine. Held Mock trials. Organised a Ball. This shows great progress and I hope it continues.

Personnally a sad fact is I was so utterly consumed by the leaving certificate, I had no idea what to expect from college. This problem is faced by thousands of students each year. It is Boards.ie function to provide support and information as well as discussion in the form of peer-to-peer message boards and personal experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Little_olivia

I was looking into doing law OR an arts degree in UCC with the aim of ending up working in Journalism. I need a broad wide-ranging, respected degree. Would anyone recommend this degree from this perspective? Bearing in mind I live in cork and would have to move up to Maynooth for this degree.

Advertisement