Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

getting a pistol

• 24-08-2014 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Can any one help me was thinking about going down the road of getting a pistol. Is it the sane process of getting any other firearm. Do I need alarm, cameras have two firearms at the moment. Do it need to join a club before appling.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The only pistol you can get is an unrestricted .22lr one.

As an unrestricted pistol it does not entail the same security as a restricted one, but if you have two firearms already then this will make three and push you into the next category of security requirements.

The application process is the same as any other firearm with the caveat that range membership is a mandatory requirement. There is no other reason to hold a pistol (only target shooting).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Emmet1022

Cass wrote: »
    The only pistol you can get is an unrestricted .22lr one.

As an unrestricted pistol it does not entail the same security as a restricted one, but if you have two firearms already then this will make three and push you into the next category of security requirements.

The application process is the same as any other firearm with the caveat that range membership is a mandatory requirement. There is no other reason to hold a pistol (only target shooting).

Thanks Cass have alarm on the house its not monitored tho. Only found out their was a pistol range in Waterford today so going to see about it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

check the garda list of authorised pistols and then check with your local Garda firearms office to ensure there won't be any snags getting it licenced, also enquire what security arrangements your local Super requires as what is listed on the Garda legislation is minimum requirements for security he/she may look for a higher level security, and as already mentioned above you will need to be a member of a target shooting club. You will also have to get the magazine of your pistol permanently modified so that it can only hold 5 rounds of .22 ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

Emmet1022 wrote: »
    Can any one help me was thinking about going down the road of getting a pistol. Is it the sane process of getting any other firearm. Do I need alarm, cameras have two firearms at the moment. Do it need to join a club before appling.

Make an appointment to meet you local Super. Ask him directly what he requires of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,420 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

There's no need to meet your super.

Have your range membership, safety course, references, safe etc. sorted and just call your FO to ask if the super requires extra security. The safe is the minimum you'll need to you'll have to have it either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

Blay wrote: »
    There's no need to meet your super.

Have your range membership, safety course, references, safe etc. sorted and just call your FO to ask if the super requires extra security. The safe is the minimum you'll need to you'll have to have it either way.

Yup. There is no need to meet the Super. But some Supers require meeting with an applicant before granting a licence. Not all of course but some. It's a good way to speed up your application too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Emmet1022

Thanks for the info lads. What happenens if I pay for the club and get refused the licence ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Thanks for the info lads. What happenens if I pay for the club and get refused the licence ?

That would depend on the club you could be aswell double checking with the club before you she'll out a few hundred euro!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Range membership is a prerequisite for pistol ownership, but there is no guarantee that the club will refund you in the case off being refused. In some clubs eyes they dislike people joining simply to get a license.

However refusals once you have club membership is not overly common, and being a member can only enhance your chance later if there is a refusal. So you could start with another gun and work up to a pistol.

However that is worse case scenario. As said above have a chat with the range operators as it's pretty silly, even though i said it above, to join if you have no pistol or buy another gun if you have no interest in shooting anything else bar a pistol.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

Thanks Cass have alarm on the house its not monitored tho. Only found out their was a pistol range in Waterford today so going to see about it tomorrow.

pray tell,,,, where this pistol range is in Waterford ???????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭clivej

Don't know about Waterford but there is one in Gorey.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

clivej wrote: »
    Don't know about Waterford but there is one in Gorey.

Where in Gorey please and who runs it????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭clivej

Savage93 wrote: »
    Where in Gorey please and who runs it????

Gorey & District Rifle & Pistol Club

Can't find the details but there is a comp. on there next weekend

Facebook page
    http://on.fb.me/1pfBKCN

Advertisement