Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WIN one of 5 pairs of tickets to see 'Waiting for Godot' at Smock Alley Theatre

• 05-08-2014 9:49am
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Community Manager

We are delighted to have 5 pairs of tickets to give away to see 'Waiting for Godot' in Smock Alley Theatre! Tickets are for Sunday, 10th August 2014 Saturday 9th August 2014.
    317230.jpg
    Smock Alley Theatre presents Samuel Beckett's MASTERPIECE of world theatre WAITING FOR GODOT

A country road. A tree.

Evening.

Vladimir and Estragon wait endlessly for the arrival of Godot, discussing religion, contemplating suicide and crotch rot on a comical wordplay of poetry, dreamscapes and nonsense.

A tragicomedy in Two Acts - Beckett's play pioneered an expressionistic minimalism that captured the existential post World War II Europe and man't inexhaustible search for meaning.
    "They give birth astride a grave, the light gleams in an instant then it's night once more"

This play remains one of the most beautiful and allegorical of our time.
    You can read a review of from your Mod, The_Morrigan here. All we ask is that winners post something here in the Theatre & Performing Arts forum next week about their visit to Smock Alley to see Waiting for Godot after they have seen it :)

The play centres around Didi and Gogo waiting...to be in with a chance to win a pair of tickets, post what you think was keeping Godot late from his very important appointment with the two? Winners will be chosen at random so feel free to post whatever you think - there are no right or wrong answers! Good luck.
    • Winners will be chosen at random on Friday 8th August and informed by PM
    • Tickets are for Sunday 10th August Saturday 9th August and are not transferable
    png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAABAAAAAQCAYAAAAf8%2F9hAAAB30lEQVQ4EZVTSy8DURT%2BZjpm6GhL0pKQphYeCZF4hIVEWLDowsaCxMJC8AP8AMI%2FsBQWFhKPxMpGbIgFK6vWe0WoRVOPPihth3vmTm%2FTUuEs7r3zzfnO950zdySw6Nz6%2FKT9v3EyIknSX8idHiZSBRzcA1fP%2BTK%2FFiDiXBdQo%2BdI%2Fp00wklFALI4FRxm2oCl%2FnwypXS7E8gYGZH9YwFSHWvgOUehd0zsPYJ2CqcqI5lK8pdszXmxICIP1fGHueMXLAcS0BQNTW4bemqAu1gGhmElsy2vAKkWkl12F3RNR2UpJwUjKSisYDZEC44SYKqFw2SXlLNkQvuZ%2Bn3cwFkkzYppkCWeKwqQMhWhWAly26RMQV%2BhsQLYvXmHqqgwIMOwbo5ooa%2FWzDUXFxuUXmp5ZgjNhWLjIg67Wo50sRnwNGC%2Bx4mnwxQ%2BmMp0M7tEHjY8Zv%2BU9V%2FtUmG5N9OFg1CCJxJKn2p1IDcowm6jbHiygnaPzXRw%2FgRQF2IG69dAlCSLhNehYKpVx2Iv4PcBUuEQ6Y5P7mdMm1Qj%2BmFg8%2BoVg9thE%2FM6bBiu1zC%2B94a1ixSyv5%2B0cDmaJxtP6jh%2FaADtii0Nt%2BMR3sqQwJxlMXT4AswBp5lGCosU6eIbPNu0KX0BMmqe8Db%2Bbr8AAAAASUVORK5CYII%3D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Godot had passed away during the night. He was in fact the late Godot rather that the Godot who was late.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

Missed the bus??!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Alarm didn't go off.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

Leaves on the tracks, DART cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

In all likelihood, Godot got laid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

I'd say he got cornered by a chugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

Rush hour traffic! Can't be helped! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Elephant parade blocking the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Too busy arguing on a thread in AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Godot? Sure he just went onto Boards.ie to check one thing, but somebody was wrong....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

damn, am away that date, good luck other people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 localboy14

Godot was out chasing after his cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

I'm reading The Quantity Theory of Insanity by Will Self.

One of his protagonists (a psychologist) develops the theory that the mental illness of any single individual is linked to the quantity of mental illness in that social group - as one person is cured there is a corresponding degeneration in the mind of others!

I often wonder was Self thinking of Pozzo's observation that

"The tears of the world are a constant quantity. For each one who begins to weep, somewhere else another stops."

Well, I was.

Oh, maybe they were waiting for two other lost souls somewhere in the world to start waiting - so that they could stop - A Quantity Theory of Waiting?

Godot? Perhaps he was waiting for the next two lost souls - in 1953 - who knows? Maybe Audrey Hepburn and Elizabeth Taylor would arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Godot was trolling them both and had no intention of showing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 J_Farr

Godot was only granted a licence for 3 concerts! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4 basilt

Godot couldn't find anything nice to wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Godot was their imaginary/dead childhood friend, they are trying to recapture their youth but will forever fail to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Late for the sake of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tbeans

He was only home from Coppers with an hour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

He got trapped in AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

He couldn't get his hair right

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

There has been a *slight* mix up, the tickets are actually for Saturday 9th August as there is no Sunday show. Hopefully you are all still available on Saturday in case you win :D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭col89

Awaiting the arrival of Garth Brooks at the Aviva Stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jerry12

Godot was waiting for Mrs. Godot to finish changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 J_Farr

They gave him the wrong date! ;P

Btw Saturday suits me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭seany76

I have heard much talk of this play but never seen it..

I think Godot was dead!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

I'm not waiting for Godot, Godot's waiting for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Godot was waiting to see if Vladamir and Estragon could figure out that he didn't exist...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

There has been a *slight* mix up, the tickets are actually for Saturday 9th August as there is no Sunday show. Hopefully you are all still available on Saturday in case you win :D
    Sadly I'll have to bow out of the draw/raffle, I'm already spoken for on the Saturday.
    Good luck to all involved.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement