Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waiting for Godot - Smock Alley Theatre Dublin until 23rd August 2014

• 30-07-2014 1:31pm
    Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭

From the Smock Alley Website
    A country road. A tree.
    Evening.
    Vladimir and Estragon wait endlessly for the arrival of Godot, discussing religion, contemplating suicide and crotch rot in a comical wordplay of poetry, dreamscapes and nonsense.

A tradicomedy in Two Acts – Beckett’s play pioneered an expressionistic minimalism that captured the existential post World War II Europe and man’s inexhaustible search for meaning.
    ‘They give birth astride a grave, the light gleams an instant then its night once more’
    This play remains one of the most beautiful and allegorical of our time.
    http://smockalley.com/waiting-for-godot/

Smock Alley have the unfortunate task of putting on this play following the highly successful runs by Sir Ian McKellen and Sir Patrick Stewart – any research brings you to these two gentlemen lording it up around the world with bowler hats akimbo and looking as thick as thieves. The chemistry between the two old friends is very hard to replicate by any production. However, in my mind I think this version is fabulous in it’s own right.

I went to see this play last night and I wasn’t disappointed with the performances of all involved. Although it is essentially a play where nothing happens, neither the players nor the audience can leave as they wait for something to happen or a resolution to the wait. There is the element of hope for all involved.

The players themselves were energetic and full of personality, every movement and expression was executed flawlessly; yet they gave nothing away. Their life story was as big a mystery at the end as it was at the start - we have no idea who or what they are waiting for, or why they are so unwilling to break the cycle of their daily toll.

The big characters that were being portrayed were in stark comparison to the minimalist set. The intimate setting of the stage and audience draws you in; you are so close it is almost as if you are there to pass the time with Gogo and Didi on the side of the road.

Beckett was not a traditional playwright, his plays are dark, bleak and encompass a dark humour – although comedic in places, this is not a lighthearted play and is hard work to follow, albeit enjoyable all the same and there were plenty of laughs along the way. Personally I physically found the performance exhausting to follow, as the players use the entire space meaning that the audience are forced to follow the dialogue from one side of the stage to the other – a theatrical game of tennis so to speak, as your eyes dart from each player as he speaks. This is however a unique space so the untraditional approach to staging fits in well with Beckett’s style.

This show is well worth a visit, especially for the price of the tickets.

As an aside, while doing a bit of research on other versions of the show I did come across this snippet from Youtube.

This fabulous Q&A with Sir Ian McKellen gives some insight into the play, his personal thoughts on the inspiration for the play and with some interaction from the audience he acquires some new perceptions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

I thought Pozzo was very well played. I've seen the play many times but this was different. Pozzo was sardonic and malicious in the first act and forlorn in the second.

He's usually imperious and thuggish and then forlorn.

I thought at the start - "Oh, I've seen this bloody play so many times"- but soon I got into it.
    The usual highlights were there: the notion that life is begun and ended astride a grave; that the characters have nothing but their mid-twentieth Century existentialist freedom' that the sorrows and joys of the world have a constant quantity.

But what was new to me was something very personal. I went there with someone I love very deeply!

Oh, and I won the tickets here!

Thanks!

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

born2bwild wrote: »
    I thought Pozzo was very well played. I've seen the play many times but this was different. Pozzo was sardonic and malicious in the first act and forlorn in the second.

He's usually imperious and thuggish and then forlorn.

I thought at the start - "Oh, I've seen this bloody play so many times"- but soon I got into it.
    The usual highlights were there: the notion that life is begun and ended astride a grave; that the characters have nothing but their mid-twentieth Century existentialist freedom' that the sorrows and joys of the world have a constant quantity.

But what was new to me was something very personal. I went there with someone I love very deeply!

Oh, and I won the tickets here!

Thanks!

I like it when a director takes a new angle on a character like you've noted there for Pozzo, otherwise seeing the same shows again and again can take the joy out of it.

Can I ask.....was the rope dirty when you saw the show? I was there the first night and the fact the rope was spotlessly clean bugged me after the character explained they had been on the road for hours. Little things like that seem to distract me a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

I like it when a director takes a new angle on a character like you've noted there for Pozzo, otherwise seeing the same shows again and again can take the joy out of it.

Can I ask.....was the rope dirty when you saw the show? I was there the first night and the fact the rope was spotlessly clean bugged me after the character explained they had been on the road for hours. Little things like that seem to distract me a bit.
    The rope was clean.

Maybe Lucky'd washed it in a stream?

Wash, Pig!

Advertisement