Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

garda reseve powers on and off duty

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Cd_doe

Raider190 wrote: »

My information is gained from my experience and my service. One man stations are a thing of the past. I say again and perhaps this time you might listen
    Gardai do not patrol on their own and armchair generals should not make comments in topics they know nothing about.

I'm sorry but you have no idea what your talking about.

Gardai still do patrol on their on.

Edit : and no, one man stations are not a thing of the past.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Cd_doe wrote: »

My information is gained from my experience and my service. One man stations are a thing of the past. I say again and perhaps this time you might listen
    Gardai do not patrol on their own and armchair generals should not make comments in topics they know nothing about.

Gardai regularly patrol on their own... I should know I am one.

In high crime areas in Dublin and other major cities is is the norm that patrol cars are manned by two members.

Around the country it is quite common for Gardai to patrol alone, its got nothing to do with them working in low crime areas, its got to do with numbers available and lack of members.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

I'm sorry but you have no idea what your talking about.

Gardai still do patrol on their on.

Edit : and no, one man stations are not a thing of the past.

Example of one is on inis mor (Aran Island)

Turner wrote: »

In high crime areas in Dublin and other major cities is is the norm that patrol cars are manned by two members.

Around the country it is quite common for Gardai to patrol alone, its got nothing to do with them working in low crime areas, its got to do with numbers available and lack of members.

That quote looks like it was me that said it!
    Hmmm the quoting system is broken.
    Now it looks like raider 190 said that

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

• Advertisement

I am a reserve in one of the busiest stations in the country and at no time in the past 6 years have I ever seen a lone member been detailed to foot patrol on their own . It never happens. nothing to do with lack of numbers it a question of safety

I am a reserve in one of the busiest stations in the country and at no time in the past 6 years have I ever seen a lone member been detailed to foot patrol on their own . It never happens. nothing to do with lack of numbers it a question of safety

You have only seen one station.
    I can assure you it is quite common everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

Raider if thats true thats your station. One station of hundreds!!! Any city you walk in youd see a lone garda or worse a lone garda in the patrol car

You have only seen one station.
    I can assure you it is quite common everywhere.

I have served in a number of stations and have never seen it. Perhaps it's particular to Dublin city stations. From my point of view I would never patrol alone on foot why put your self at risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I have served in a number of stations and have never seen it. Perhaps it's particular to Dublin city stations. From my point of view I would never patrol alone on foot why put your self at risk

Quite common where I am.

Personally, I think it's quite dangerous and someone is going to get seriously hurt before it changes.

Professionally, you just do as your told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

very very rare in my patch

iv never seen a one man car crew, ever

on nights out in dublin city iv often seen lads from kevin st and pearse st walk round in threes!!!

Scouser wrote: »

very very rare in my patch

iv never seen a one man car crew, ever

on nights out in dublin city iv often seen lads from kevin st and pearse st walk round in threes!!!

Same here never come across a solo garda either on foot or mobile patrol

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

Like Turner I am also a full time member and am stationed in the DMR in what could be considered quite a rough area and we are regularly detailed for beat duty on our own. In fact, during the early tour midweek crossover with late tours anybody who is not detailed for mobile patrol or the station are not only told to go on the beat but to do it alone. Safety comes second to having uniforms on the streets. Nighttime is a different story but I know plenty of other districts outside of my own that operate a similar policy so to say that Garda members never patrol on their own is incredibly naive and very wrong. And to the OP, are you talking about wearing your uniform home for duty or walking home in half blue?

It's obviously different rules in different stations thank god I am in a station that details pairs for patrols.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭coolock94

thanks for your input,, I mean half blues I believe members who are full time do it but it was a question which came up in interview.
    so it was asked if I would walk home in uniform or not when finished my shift... so I wanted to know if reserves are allowed to walk home in uniform.

No member goes home in full uniform have blues are acceptable that means Garda pants but with a civilIan jacket

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

No member goes home in full uniform have blues are acceptable that means Garda pants but with a civilIan jacket

wasnt there an urban legend about a mule in town roller blading to work in full uniform?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭coolock94

i no a super who says he goes to and from in uniform no problem he said

coolock94 wrote: »
    i no a super who says he goes to and from in uniform no problem he said

Ya. There's a slight difference between a super and a reserve

Advertisement