Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firedoor theatre news

• 18-02-2013 5:18pm

Hello all,

I'm looking at forming a new theatre group in Dublin City Centre. If you would be interested in getting involved in starting a brand new group, I'm having an informal chat in Siteation (formerly the Little Green St Gallery) on February 26th. It's located at 12 Little Britain St, Dublin 7 - Just off Capel St.

My intention is to run workshops on Tuesday evenings at 7/7.30 (whatever the group decides really!)

We have the space in Siteation for ten weeks at a time, with a two week break to allow for exhibitions.

Pro's:

It's our house. I'm a member of the art collective that signed the lease on siteation. My interest in the space is to run workshops and put on performances. We'll get first refusal on all dates.

There will be a dedicated performance level. At the moment, siteation is two storeys. We plan on renovating the second floor so we can use it as a BYOB performance space. It should fit 60-80 people once the renovations are done. They'll be expected to be completed around 9 months from now. It all depends on the funding/fundraising really.

As it's our space, we can do proper long runs. I picture us doing 10 night runs of plays as we have the space. There is no feeling worse than getting into your stride on a play, only for it to end 4 nights later. Doing 10 night runs really tests you as an actor and gives you an enormous sense of accomplishment at the end.

I'm a fully qualified drama facilitator through the NAYD artstrain programme.

I will be leading a lot of the workshops initially as we'll have no money to spend on facilitators! But after that I'll be really looking forward to being a member of a group and taking part in workshops again :)

I have past experience in setting up No Drama (the boards.ie drama group) with others, so I've learned a lot on the way.

Just to recap, the chat is on in siteation (formerly The Little Green St Gallery) on Tuesday the 26th February at 7.30pm. The facebook event can be found here

Thank you for taking the time to read this, if you've any questions please feel free to ask below!

Comments

This is on tonight. There's a few heading in, always room for more

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DiffidentDuck

Hi there
    How are the workshops coming along?

Is it too late to join either this week or next? I'd be interested to see what goes on and what yez are doing.

We're having a chat tonight and next Tuesday about what the group actually is.

The chats start at 7pm and go til about 9

Siteation, 12 Little Britain St, Dublin 7 (Off Capel St - opposite The Black Sheep Pub)

Workshops will be starting on the 9th of April.

Hey guys, just to let you know, the group is going well. We have about 12 members coming regularly and have room for some more.

If you're interested in finding out more, pm me :)

We also now have a name.

We are called Firedoor Theatre.

Look forward to working with you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dellyshoyle

Hi there

Has this group still got room for one more?

x

Shelly

shellydoyle09@gmail.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭matty55

Hi guys is there any space available?

mattyomac55@yahoo.co.uk

Hi guys, we still have a couple of spots left. Please pm me if you want to pop in :-)

See you there!

I forgot to mention some more info!

We meet up every Tuesday at siteation [...], 12a Little Britain St. That's the road across from The Black Sheep pub on Capel St. Doors open at 6.30 and the workshop starts at 7pm and goes on til 9pm.

The cost per month is €25
    For one week it's €10
    For two weeks it's €15
    For three weeks it's €20.

We will all be going to the theatre on Tuesday the 16th July to see a play two of our members are involved in, "4everboyz" @ Sean O'Casey Theatre.

See you soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tighearnan

Is this still going ?

tighearnan@hotmail.com

Tighearnan wrote: »
    Is this still going ?

tighearnan@hotmail.com

It is. Feel free to pop in tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tighearnan

It is. Feel free to pop in tomorrow :)

Thanks for the fast reply, what will be happening tomorrow :)

Tighearnan wrote: »
    Thanks for the fast reply, what will be happening tomorrow :)

A workshop. I would imagine the numbers will be small enough as we're a week away from our debut production, so the cast of that will more than likely take the night off. Could be around 7/8 people in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭steve_r

Hi folks,

A member of this group (now called Firedoor Theatre) giving this thread a bump!

We meet on Tuesdays at 7pm in the Lab, on Foley Street, which is near Busaras.

Looking for new members so let us know! :)

Hey all.

We are no longer an open door group. We shall be holding a workshop audition on Wed 29th January in The Lab on Foley St.

If interested, please email your details to firedoortheatre@gmail.com

You'll find more details below :)

We are delighted to announce that we are holding an open workshop audition in The Lab on Wednesday the 29th of January. There is no charge for this workshop.

We are a group of professionally minded actors, directors, script writers and stage managers. We are currently looking at expanding our theatre group, with an eye on future productions, fringe productions, fund-raisers and more.

We have one full length production under our belt, "When Blue Eyes Turn Brown" a theatre noir/horror - The review can be found here: http://www.krank.ie/category/cul/when-blue-eyes-turn-brown/

What are we looking for?
    Enthusiasm! And lots of it! Experience is second to enthusiasm!

Males and females. We currently have a ratio of 2-1 in favour of men, so if there are female actors reading this, get in touch!

Dedication. We see theatre as serious stuff. And in this regard, we are looking for people that want to improve their skillsets, from novices to professionals, our workshops are crafted to suit all.

What we offer:
    Very reasonably priced workshops (€25 per calender month)

Qualified drama facilitators

Focussed workshops

Discounted theatre trips

A community of theatre practitioners that are all striving for the same goal, making theatre more accessible to the public.

If you are interested, please email us with a little information about yourself to firedoortheatre@gmail.com

The workshop audition will carry a minimum of 8 participants and a maximum of 16. If the minimum is not reached, you will be notified by Tuesday afternoon.

Monthly memberships is restricted to 20 members.

If you have any questions, please leave a comment below.

Due to the large volume of applicants, we will be closing submissions Monday night for this round of auditions.

Please email firedoortheatre@gmail.com to confirm your place

We are delighted to announce that we are holding another open workshop audition in The Lab on Tuesday the 25th of March at 18.30. There is no charge for this workshop.

We are a group of professionally minded actors, directors, script writers and stage personnel. We are currently looking at expanding our theatre group, with an eye on future productions, fringe productions, fund-raisers and more.

We have one full length production under our belt, "When Blue Eyes Turn Brown" a theatre noir/horror - The review can be found here: http://www.krank.ie/category/cul/when-blue-eyes-turn-brown/

What are we looking for?
    Enthusiasm! And lots of it! Experience is second to enthusiasm!

Males and females.

Dedication. We see theatre as serious business. And in this regard, we are looking for people that want to improve their skillsets, from novices to professionals, our workshops are crafted to suit all.

What we offer:
    Very reasonably priced workshops (€25 per calender month)

Qualified drama facilitators

Focussed workshops

Discounted theatre trips

A community that are all striving for the same goal, to make theatre more accessible.

If you are interested, please email us with a little information about yourself to firedoortheatre@gmail.com

The workshop audition will carry a minimum of 8 participants and a maximum of 16. If the minimum is not reached, you will be notified by Monday afternoon.

Monthly memberships is restricted to 20 members.

Workshops will take place on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. You choose month by month which day suits you best.

Workshops fill up on a first come, first served basis.

Workshop exercises/script work on Tuesdays are repeated on Wednesdays.

Workshops start at 18.30 and finish at approximately 21.00

If you have any questions, please leave a comment below.

This workshop is nearly full. Get in touch before 5pm today to register your place.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

Hi, you mentioned writers. Could you clarify is that actors who also write, or how do you involve writers, eg. have a list of emails and then put out a call whenever you need certain types of scripts?

Hi, you mentioned writers. Could you clarify is that actors who also write, or how do you involve writers, eg. have a list of emails and then put out a call whenever you need certain types of scripts?

All the writers either act or direct so they take part in all workshops. We'll be having regular "rough n'ready" scratch nights soon, where new writing from the group will (hopefully!) be at the forefront.

Hello!

Quick update:

We're in the middle of setting up a writers group that will meet on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month. Last Sunday, we had the chats with some people interested in joining a writers group, and the following was decided/discussed:

Aspects of our individual writing that we would like to improve on.

Having writing workshops from 7 to 9 pm on the second and fourth Sundays of the month.

Developing small ten to fifteen minute pieces to be performed on a monthly basis by Firedoor Theatre.

Splitting the writing workshop in two halves. The first half would be dedicated to individual work and projects, the latter being dedicated to a group project.

We discussed the idea of the group project to be a full length play, which would be an anthology piece, written by the writers group and performed by Firedoor Theatre at the end of November this year.

We agreed that €40 per month (2 workshops) is a fair price for the writing workshops.

If the space is free, members of the writers group can use it to work in.

We'll be carrying on with these chats this coming Sunday and the first writing workshop will be Sunday, Aug 10th at 7pm. All are welcome to attend.

There's no fee for the chats.

We'll be having another audition workshop this coming Thursday at 7pm to join Firedoor Theatre. Just email firedoortheatre@gmail.com if you're interested in coming along.

Any questions, pop them below or PM me

PS: Workshops run on Tues/Wed from 7pm to 9 pm.

• Advertisement

Just a quick note to say that the audition workshop this Thursday is almost full if you're thinking of going.

Thanks,

Pappa D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement