Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best video game of all time.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Too hard to pick one. Deus Ex, Half Life, System Shock 2, Ocarina of Time, Homeworld, and many others would be up there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

System Shock 2

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

A "best video game of all time" thread and no one has mentioned Shadow of the Colossus?

I guess it doesn't really matter, because the winner is clearly a toss up between Tie Fighter and Ghost Recon, which have also oddly not been mentioned.

But still SotC deserves to be mentioned at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Deus ex (if it was there) would get my vote anyway. Personal favorite and has to be up there any in top list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

In the absence of battlefield 2 and company of heroes I voted half life 2 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

nummnutts wrote: »
    Where in the name of Dog is the Battlefield 2 option?

That game is ass!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Hard to pick one, but you know what HL2 actually is the best game ever. If I were to recommend a game to someone who didn't have a clue about games HL2 would teach them everything and hook them for life.

Wrong on both counts.

Picked MGS but if I had to pick just one it'd be Dark Souls. I'm playing Oblivion at the moment and it's dangerously addictive despite the abysmal leveling system.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A tie between DinoRex and DinoRex.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I dont think i've ever played 'Other', sounds awesome judging by that poll though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Pac-man tbqfh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

My all time favs in no particular order, and the systems i played them on.

Frontier Elite 2 (amiga)
    Spy vs Spy (C64)
    Battlefield 1942(pc)
    Xcom Enemy Unknown (pc/psone) <-- (the other thread reminded me)
    Resident Evil (psone)
    Silent Hill 1 & 2 (psone/ps2)
    Goldeneye (n64)
    Sensible Soccer (amiga)
    GTA3, Vice City & San Andreas (ps2)
    Secret Of Monkey Island 1 & 2 (amiga)
    Syndicate (amiga)
    Mario Kart (nds)
    Gran Turismo 3 & 5 (ps2/ps3)
    Civilization 3, 4 & 5 (pc)
    Half Life 2 (pc)
    The Elder Scrolls 3, 4 & 5 (pc/xbox360/ps3)
    Fallout 3 (xbox360)
    Halo (xbox)

And thats all i can think of but im sure im missing some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

a link to the past. anyone who says otherwise is wrong. that's the end of discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Kain series of games from PS1 to PS2 (no exp of the PC versions) - all just great. Brilliantly scripted. Polished graphics for the time. Oddly only the gameplay of Soulreaver feels dated on the downloadable PSN version - also suffered on the visuals there. Defiance kind of let it all down a bit but all in all still a great series of games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Helix wrote: »
    a link to the past. anyone who says otherwise is wrong. that's the end of discussion

Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening were better :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

There is fallout 3 and no fallout 2.... Does it mean I am old fart at this stage or OP never knew greatness.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Oh no... Discussion appears to be continuing.....

WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE DOING? DISCUSSION IS MEANT TO BE OVER!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

There is fallout 3 and no fallout 2.... Does it mean I am old fart at this stage or OP never knew greatness.

yes you're an old fart like myself

misses a lot of classics from the golden age of gaming that spawned a lot of imitations on the list posted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Lots of people saying fallout 2, must get a copy. I started the fallout universe in fallout 3.

Anyone remember Bomberman on the amiga?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Metal Gear Solid losing to Zelda and Half-life 2

:mad:

MGS is turd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

In terms of what has given me the most playtime, the most prolonged enjoyment and the best memories, I have to say World of Warcraft. I don't play it anymore but I've put over 2,800 hours into it and enjoyed most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i still havent voted... its a greatest game poll, but there are so many missing great games.

i would put warcraft 3 in there, because thx to it map editor. that editor is the reason we got few new genres having their own games and not just mods or custom map in games. Even warcraft 3 as game itself is/was legendary.

quake 2? do i need to say more?

fallout 2? a few dinosours on these forums will know what i am talking about.

minecraft. i would easily put that in the list, even if it is not an old game.

MGS is turd

What did you vote for exactly?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

MGS is the only game brave enough to ask the question 'Can love blossom on the battlefield?'.

And by brave I mean badly written.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    MGS is the only game brave enough to ask the question 'Can love blossom on the battlefield?'.

And by brave I mean badly written.

My eyes have been opened. Your bulletproof argument has brought the entire franchise to its knees :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

If ever a poll cried out for Atari Jaguar as an option, this is it.

There is no single greatest game ever. How can you argue that, say, A Link To the Past or Half-Life or Elite did what it did better than Tetris or R-Type or even Angry Birds? Those games are all classics or future classics, but all in their own way, and I wouldn't count any of them as being better than another, just "preferable" according to one's own tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Baldur's Gate OBVIOUSLY.

But Half Life 2 wouldn't be an incorrect answer.

What did you vote for exactly?

a link to the past

nothing comes close, nor will it ever, ill wager

My eyes have been opened. Your bulletproof argument has brought the entire franchise to its knees :rolleyes:

Nah, MGS4 did more than enough to sully the franchise. Anyway I like MGS but it's hard to deny the writing is poor.

• Advertisement

Kinski wrote: »
    even Angry Birds? Those games are all classics or future classics

Ah now, come on.

Advertisement