Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best video game of all time.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

F1ngers wrote: »
    I'm not looking for my favourite games to be there.
    I'm looking for a list of good games to be there.

Cherry picking from a list of the 100 "best" games of all time smacks of lazy.

6 lists. And not cherry picking either, tbh I haven't even played some of these games. How would you have gone about it? We wanted to make the list objective. Laziness doesn't really come into it anyway, why would anyone would put a load of effort into the list? Cross referencing 6 lists was effort enough for an internet poll, that was just set up for a bit of fun imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A poll is never going to work for something like this, and is frankly ridiculous. Everyone has their own opinions and quite rankly a list of populist choices really doesn't cover the best games ever made and is never going to come near to covering a fraction of the list of games people consider the best ever.

And I'm not even going to go into how wrong saying Fallout 3 is the best in the series is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

6 lists. And not cherry picking either, tbh I haven't even played some of these games. How would you have gone about it? We wanted to make the list objective. Laziness doesn't really come into it anyway, why would anyone would put a load of effort into the list? Cross referencing 6 lists was effort enough for an internet poll, that was just set up for a bit of fun imo.

There is your problem right there...You didn't put ANY effort into the list, shows how much you care about the subject matter.

You "cherry-picked" from "popular" lists.

At the time of this post, more than 1/3 of the votes are for "other", that tells me a lot about your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    And I'm not even going to go into how wrong saying Fallout 3 is the best in the series is.

Ah Gamebryo, Morrowind was the crown there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Can't I pick them all? I find it next to impossible to pick from that list. I would be easier to pick the worst out of them all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Eoiny1117

In fairness, I helped the OP with the list. With no definitive way to pick a list of 25, we took 6 "Top 100 Games of All Time" lists and went with the 24 games that appeared most frequently. If your favourite games are not there, sorry, but it seemed the fairest, least subjective way of picking the options. Although Halo Combat Evolved and Splinter Cell were not on the original list that I saw..
    halo was!!!!!!!!!! splintercell wasnt though to be fair but it and chrono trigger both got two votes so i put it in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

Honestly, it's a bit of a naff idea OP. No offence. It's been done since the dawn of time, and it always invariably turns into "my favourite" games of all time. it's impossible to have objectivity, and even then...it's really, really pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Eoiny1117

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A poll is never going to work for something like this, and is frankly ridiculous. Everyone has their own opinions and quite rankly a list of populist choices really doesn't cover the best games ever made and is never going to come near to covering a fraction of the list of games people consider the best ever.

its the best get over it!!!!!!

Ah Gamebryo, Morrowind was the crown there.

Morrowind used Gamebryo though? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Alactric wrote: »
    Morrowind used Gamebryo though? :p

It did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

There is your problem right there...You didn't put ANY effort into the list, shows how much you care about the subject matter.

You "cherry-picked" from "popular" lists.

At the time of this post, more than 1/3 of the votes are for "other", that tells me a lot about your list.

Ok, firstly, you don't know me and have no idea how much I do or don't care about the subject matter (games).
    Secondly, cherry picking would imply that we went through the lists and picked our favourites. As I have already said (twice) we cross-referenced the lists, and I haven't played nor would I have included on my personal list some of the games listed above. However, we didn't want the list to be opinionated, hence the method of selection.
    Thirdly, of course the main vote is going to other, you hardly expected everyone voting to have their favourite game included in this list? There are thousands of games out there, for people to have any favourites within the 24 is, statistically speaking, strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm not looking for my favourite games to be there.
    I'm looking for a list of good games to be there.

Cherry picking from a list of the 100 "best" games of all time smacks of lazy.

all the games listed are good. op clarly meant the thread as just a bit of fun, no need to be an elitist knob about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

There are too many games created to definitively call any one the "greatest EVER".

Also, it's Ico.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

krudler wrote: »
    all the games listed are good. op clarly meant the thread as just a bit of fun, no need to be an elitist knob about it.

Not all the games listed are good, most are.

You're confusing elitist with drunk...:p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

lol, no Quake? Biggest game on the planet for how many years and arguably the game that started e-Sports and it's not included?

Out of your list OP, I choose Tetris. Genius concept and it's also one of the most appealing and simple to understand games ever created.

krudler wrote: »

I wouldn't say he's being elitist, it just rings of an IGN / Gamespot headline generator. Grabs people attention fine, but is so painfully, excruciatingly dull and obvious.

You say you're opinion, someone else says there's. That's it really. Seems like a tired topic for a thread...circa 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

This Poll was made by a fella who loves Nintendo.
    Little or no PS1 or Megadrive games,

4 !! Mario Titles in there, 2 Zelda, Metroid,......yawnn.... too much Biased.

Absolutely no clue about games.

Troll be trolling !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Shiminay wrote: »
    lol, no Quake? Biggest game on the planet for how many years and arguably the game that started e-Sports and it's not included?

About half a year, if at all.

Obviously deserves a spot tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Magill wrote: »
    About half a year, if at all.

Yeah, UT took it's place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Gta San Andrews hands down best game of all time.

Others:
    Pes 6
    Mgs
    Goldeneye
    Nfs underground

• Advertisement

hefferboi wrote: »
    Nfs underground

See what I meant about it turning into my "favourite game" OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Out of that list the most time I spent playing was Street Fighter 2. I can say I spent a considerable amount of my childhood playing SF2 with my mates on my Sega Mega Drive2. We used to have competitions with all my friens and they'ld go on for hours. They were real fun days.

Apart from that overall I think I spent the most time playing Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2. I finished that game like 3 times and I still used to play it until last year when I got a windows 7 PC and the game wouldn't run on it anymore...

Among the modern games I have spent the most time playing borderlands. That game is seriously long with all the dlcs and 2nd playthroughs but I do love playing it! Can't wait to play the 2nd one soon but I need to finish the first game first!!

Another game I would mention is Uncharted 2. It was the most fun and prettiest (as in scenery wise) game I've ever played and one of the few games I bothered finishing twice...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

"What's the best song of all time"

What's the best book of all time".

These questions don't really have answers because there's a million ways to answer it.

The most original? The most influential? The best selling? The best critically received? The most technologically advanced?

Quake, Starcraft, GTA 3 are what I'm going to swing for but I could easily remember another 20 later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Alactric wrote: »
    See what I meant about it turning into my "favourite game" OP?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Most of my favourite aren't even on that list but if I had to choose it would be Oblivion and Super Metroid.

Super Metroid because it's such a perfectly crafted game which I only played again and cleared last week since playing it when I was a kid. Still blows all other 2D games out of the water, a lot have come close to it's greatness but never bettered.

Then Oblivion for giving me 170+ hours of solid fun. Kept me sane when I lived in Longford for 6 months :pac:

Best game of all time is subjective, really, but the closest and most universal game I can think of that people like playing is Tetris. Really was a great yet simple concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Noticed plenty of votes for Goldeneye. That is surely just nostalgia talking. Playing it now would be a terrible experience I think.

Poll has some strange choices. Not to include Super Mario World being one of them. So I voted 'other'.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I cannot believe Final Fantasy VII isn't on the list. I'm a sad Cloud :(

video-game-memes-sad-cloud.jpg?w=479

Sorry for the spoilers..:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Noticed plenty of votes for Goldeneye. That is surely just nostalgia talking. Playing it now would be a terrible experience I think.

Time has not been kind to that game. It's an influential and important game but I'd be hard pressed to call it a good game let alone one of the greats.
    sheehy83 wrote: »
    I cannot believe Final Fantasy VII isn't on the list. I'm a sad Cloud :(

Bleh, it's not even the best PS1 RPG :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Metal Gear Solid 3, closely followed by GTA: Vice City.

Poll list is hugely flawed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

snake.png
    ?

Advertisement