Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cabin in the Woods *Spoilers from post 180*

• 20-02-2012 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

The Cabin in the woods

Written by Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard (of cloverfield fame) its a play on the usual teens go to a cabin and get slashed.

It was filmed in 2009 and was supposed to be out in 2010 but was delayed so they could make it 3D (barf). Then there was the issue of MGM filing for bankruptcy and now there is the issue of it clashing with Whedons other release, a little known title called The Avengers which also stars "Cabin" lead Chris Hemsworth (Thor).

I've been waiting for this since it was announced and I saw it was staring Bradley Whitford so I'm not giving up just yet, I don't, however, hold up high hopes for it.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is it not due out in April?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

^ It is, and so's The Avengers (which is out on 27th April in the UK, so presumably the same date here).

I'll give it a go unless the buzz is pretty adverse, I think. The talent involved is a big attraction. Sounds like it could be a smart and avant-garde take on the standard trope-laden teen horror movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Is it not due out in April?

Yeah... again. There have been many dates attached to this movie and I'm sure many poster reprints :) I'll see it when it arrives but I wouldnt be surprised if it got a very limited release like Tucker & Dale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Definitely out in April.

It screened for critics in London at the weekend but there's a review embargo on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

The IFI are screening it under the Friday Night Frights umbrella on March 30th.
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I thought this was actually a Whedon directorial project for the longest time :(

Still, looks like an interesting take on an overworn genre. Stopped paying attention to the trailer when it started getting over detailed though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A film being left on the shelf for several years without a release is never a good sign though.

jamc wrote: »
    Definitely out in April.

It screened for critics in London at the weekend but there's a review embargo on it.

But it screened at the Toronto Film festival in 2010 I think. and I think this year at SXSW.

In IFI in March?! I'm in! WOO!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

A film being left on the shelf for several years without a release is never a good sign though.

Ordinarily I'd be wary for the same reason, but it looks like it was financial problems at the studio and dithering over whether or not to convert it to 3D that caused the delays in this case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_cabin_in_the_woods#Production

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

This looks really bad, like one of the worst movies in years, I have a friend who keeps going on about this piece of ****. I hope it sweaps the razzies next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

How original, that "Scream" type shiite has been done about 50 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Early reviews have all been positive.

ps3lover wrote: »
    This looks really bad, like one of the worst movies in years, I have a friend who keeps going on about this piece of ****. I hope it sweaps the razzies next year.

I think this film will take all the razzies next year http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Thousand_Words_(film)

Colmo52 wrote: »
    Early reviews have all been positive.
    From who?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

From who?

These guys, for a start, which includes 'Variety' and 'Screen International':

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_cabin_in_the_woods/reviews/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

From who?

93% on RottonTomatoes

EDIT: Should have refreshed page after searching for reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm a big Whedon and Goddard fan.... so I've high hopes!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

I've booked my tickets for the IFI screening. I've heard nothing so far but great reviews. This review took me by surprise:
    Quite simply, The Cabin In The Woods is not only one of our films of the year – it’s one of our favourite horrors of all time.

Digitalfix is normally reliable, so I believe that this isn't simple hyperbole and we will get something really special.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

It might be reactionary of me to say that it was the most enjoyable horror movie of my adult life.
    Might.

Can't remember the last time I came out of a movie with that sort of buzz on me.

• I think Tucker and Dale vs Evil may have ruined any of these types of horror movies for me.

I decided not to go to the IFI screening last night and to wait for the release in Cineworld, and boy am I excited! The news snippets I am allowing myself to read are like dynamite! I cant effing wait!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah really wanted to make it last night, but was on a late night shoot so no joy :(

Lucky the wait isn't too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

When is the release everywhere else?

April 13th... 2... long... weeks of avoiding all the CITW info! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

It was awesome. Jam-packed with Whedon humour.

Skinfull wrote: »
    April 13th... 2... long... weeks of avoiding all the CITW info! :eek:
    What's the point when you can pretty much figure out how it ends from the trailer anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

Jam-packed with Whedon humour.

:D It was one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long, long time. Despite it being written by Whedon I wasn't expecting that at all.

What's the point when you can pretty much figure out how it ends from the trailer anyway.

No you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

To be honest, the trailer didn't look that great (reminded me of The Cube) but Joss Whedon hasn't let me down yet. He's a great writer and I consider a well-written script to be one of the most important aspects in any film, regardless of genre. I noticed in the trailer that both Amy Acker and Fran Kranz from Dollhouse are in the film so that - for me - is a positive sign that Whedon had a lot of creative input into the film.
    I think Tucker and Dale vs Evil may have ruined any of these types of horror movies for me.

I still haven't yet seen Tucker and Dale. Unfortunately, it disappeared out of the cinemas before I had a chance to see it and I've not come across it since.

Ant wrote: »
    To be honest, the trailer didn't look that great (reminded me of The Cube) but Joss Whedon hasn't let me down yet. He's a great writer and I consider a well-written script to be one of the most important aspects in any film, regardless of genre. I noticed in the trailer that both Amy Acker and Fran Kranz from Dollhouse are in the film so that - for me - is a positive sign that Whedon had a lot of creative input into the film.

I kind of agree with this though I consider Dollhouse to be a let down save for the Epitaph episode. But the script is so important and I do think Whedon is one of the best writers out there at the moment.
    I still haven't yet seen Tucker and Dale. Unfortunately, it disappeared out of the cinemas before I had a chance to see it and I've not come across it since.

It is available on netflix, US version anyway.

• Advertisement

I noticed in the trailer that both Amy Acker and Fran Kranz from Dollhouse are in the film so that - for me - is a positive sign that Whedon had a lot of creative input into the film.

Tom Lenk is another Whedon cross-over. He's great in it.

Advertisement