Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is The Free World Charter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭silkfield

Einhard wrote: »
    Eh, not right.

Seriously, I admire your enthusiasm for the project, but you're basing much of your thought on pretty facile, easily refuted assumptions such as the one above.

You didn't refute it though? Even though you said it was easy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Monetary systems are more engrained in the human psyche than you imagine. When resources are finite there will always be value placed upon them.

Energy is one of our most basic resources, there is a limit to how much of it we can exploit, yet our potential uses for it are limitless. If energy is completely free what's to stop one person using more than their fair share or even monopolising it? You would have to come up with a system to equally distribute the energy. Now some processes are more energy intensive than others so you would have to plan where the energy goes so it's put to best use. What you inevitably end up with is a centrally planned economy alla communism. As history has taught us centrally planned economies inevitably lead to massive inefficiencies. To counteract these inefficiencies you will inevitably see the development of a black market where energy is traded and your back to using a form of monetary system.

You can not remove currency from an economy, the two are inseparable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭SupaNova

You can not remove currency from an economy, the two are inseparable.

+1

sink wrote: »
    Monetary systems are more engrained ....
    There is no limit to the amount of energy we can produce once you remove the highly invested trade patterns of fossil fuels. Wind, solar, tidal, wave, geo-thermal. There is effectively an infinite supply of energy all around us. To harness all these energies just does not make financial sense right now. That is why we need to remove that limitation. The monetary system is the only limitation to infinite energy.

Sure, economy and money go hand-in-hand. I never said otherwise. Removing money means removing the current economy as we know it. Sorry if this wasn't clear.

Be brave. ;)

• Advertisement

Money is just a medium of exchange. It used to be actual gold and silver. Now we use fiat money which gives governments the opportunity for deficit spending. For that deficit spending to show a profit it has to be invested in areas that increase production by the sum of the loan plus the interest. This is the reason most governments are in so much debt. The solution at the moment is to go deeper into debt in the hope of stimulating the economy. Its probably not going to end well but i don't imagine world war.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭takun

The funniest thing about this is that by advocating getting rid of money as the answer to all of humanity's problems, it is actually elevating money to a status above even that which it has in our current system.

Wolves, elephants, lions, monkeys don't have money, but they have a hierarchy. I have three cats - there is even a hierarchy at work between them. The weak suffer, the strong prevail. Take this genetic imperative of the survival of the fittest and the superiority of the strong, mix it with herd mentality and add a good pinch of human nature along with it's messy emotions and pesky individualism - stir that pot and even in the absence of money what emerges is not some beatific peace where everyone lives in harmony and equality, but an ugly scene of brutality and chaos.

As for the bit about there suddenly being no such thing as hard labour - words fail me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

That is due to technology, not capitalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

takun wrote: »
    ...it is actually elevating money to a status above even that which it has in our current system.
    I don't agree, but if so, so?
    Wolves, elephants, lions, monkeys ....... not some beatific peace where everyone lives in harmony and equality, but an ugly scene of brutality and chaos.
    I agree with most of this, but almost recoiled on reading your last line. Where did that come from? I would love to see THAT particular train of logic.
    As for the bit about there suddenly being no such thing as hard labour - words fail me.
    When is the last time you ploughed a field with oxen? Or the last time you walked home with a bag of coal on a wheelbarrow? Or washed your clothes in a basin? Or cut the grass with shears? Or wrote out the text of a PDF and brought it to someone? Or heated up your baked beans on hot coals? Are you freaking serious??? :confused:

There are jobs that only humans can do, yes, but they are becoming fewer and fewer each day. Any idiot can see that. In a money-free world, these 'human-only' jobs will be done by humans, not because they have to, but because they want to.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

No.

silkfield wrote: »
    I don't agree, but if so, so?

By assuming that the elimination of money would inevitably and permanently change human nature for the better.
    Or the last time you walked home with a bag of coal on a wheelbarrow?

Well, since you ask, as it happens...... we provide all of our own winter fuel by dint of our own labour.

Last summer, as we always do, we went to a bog and turned turf that had been cut on our behalf by machine (it was allowed, don't get upset about that. Though I'm a bit upset we won't be able to do it for much longer.) When it had dried, we moved it to a trailer, drove it home, took it (in wheelbarrows as it happens) to the back garden and stacked it. This required 8+ trips and each unloading took about 30-40 trips with the wheelbarrow. Staking it is a bit of a job too. We also delivered several other trailer loads to other people and assisted them with unloading/stacking.

We also cut down two very large trees, one of which was dead, the other was undermining a house foundation. We generally get a couple of people every year who need a tree or a few trees cut down, in return for which we take the wood (usually leaving them a good pile too if they want it). These were then cut into manageable size, though pretty large, logs and again taken home and stacked. We didn't need it all, so again some was taken to other's houses. And once again all this moving of wood was largely accomplished using..... wheelbarrows and good old manual labour.

Now every week we spend an hour or two cutting these logs into small enough pieces to burn for the following week. And of course every day we have to bring in the day's supply of fuel. It proves the old adage that 'the man who cuts his own wood warms himself twice' - though I'd extend that to 4 or more times.

It was all pretty hard labour, though not unenjoyable, as there is satisfaction in labour sometimes. I have no heating costs at all and live in a very warm house - that is certainly satisfying, but it is labour that replaces the need for money.

Granted, we are not forced to do this. It's what we do, and I like to think its not bad for our son to experience from himself that there IS labour involved in production and there is reward for effort.

But talk to any farmer - mechanisation or not there is labour involved there still. And show me the house built entirely by machine and not manual labour. I've worked in a meat factory - let me tell you you'd be physically exhausted at the end of your shift there.

And that's in a first world country with existing infrastructure (much of it built by dint of physical labour).

And before you say that in the absence of money I would still do all this happily - so it proves your point, well no, I would not. Why would I bother when I could have my heating free anyway? Why would I want to teach my son that labour brings rewards, when really it would not?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masdar_City

I wonder why they never mention this in any of the Zeitgeist films. I thought it would be something they would be interested in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyz3OvjSZdc

And before you say that in the absence of money I would still do all this happily - so it proves your point, well no, I would not. Why would I bother when I could have my heating free anyway? Why would I want to teach my son that labour brings rewards, when really it would not?
    Labour can be its own reward. I know that. I've just been chopping logs myself too and thoroughly enjoyed it. I admire your self-sufficiency, and if you enjoy it why not? Money or no money? Isn't the whole point of life just to live well and be happy?

We are not living well. You obviously are, but 10 people a week are taking their own lives in this country. I've no stats, but I'm willing to bet every single one of them has/had financial problems.

How many more people have to DIE before we realise what we're doing wrong?

Roughly 36 MILLION people die each year due to malnutrition. Now ask yourself, is that due to lack of food, or lack of purchasing power?

Labour can be its own reward. I know that. I've just been chopping logs myself too and thoroughly enjoyed it. I admire your self-sufficiency, and if you enjoy it why not? Money or no money? Isn't the whole point of life just to live well and be happy?

Indeed. But let me assure you whatever other benefits it brings, the primary purpose of our labour is to save money. We have significant financial problems. I've just waved goodbye to my partner who has left to work for a week at the other end if the country, not something he really wants to do, but he does it purely because we need the extra money. I am not living in some kind of nirvana where manual labour is a noble effort undertaken for it's own sake - it's done because it saves money. If all was provided to me for free I'd give in happily to my natural sloven and put my feet up.

SupaNova wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masdar_City

I wonder why they never mention this in any of the Zeitgeist films. I thought it would be something they would be interested in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyz3OvjSZdc

Great! Haven't seen this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

We are not living well. You obviously are, but 10 people a week are taking their own lives in this country. I've no stats, but I'm willing to bet every single one of them has/had financial problems.

How many more people have to DIE before we realise what we're doing wrong?

Over 4 million people don't kill themselves every week...

Einhard wrote: »
    Over 4 million people don't kill themselves every week...
    :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I watched the whole 6 minutes. Reminded me of an idea I came up with after taking a **** load of MDMA. It didn't sound so smart the next day when I wasn't overcome by feelings of empathy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

:confused:

You claimed that we don't live well, and then used the fact that 10 people a week kill themselves. You were making a generalisation from specifics. The claim that the tragedy of suicides indicates that we, as a society, don't live well, is contradicted by the fact that suicide is so rare.

Roughly 36 MILLION people die each year due to malnutrition. Now ask yourself, is that due to lack of food, or lack of purchasing power?

Can you tell me in what countries these people die? Is it a country with a lack of food?

Where does purchasing power come from?

Great! Haven't seen this.

What does it say about the Zeitgeist Movement if they don't know about this? It would at least say they are poorly researched.

If they do know about it. Why not mention it? Maybe because its been built using money and labor, with the intention of making profit, and looking to better human life in the process. See Capitalism isn't all trampling on top of each other in the name of profit.

SupaNova wrote: »
    What does it say about the Zeitgeist Movement if they don't know about this? It would at least say they are poorly researched.

If they do know about it. Why not mention it? Maybe because its been built using money and labor, with the intention of making profit, and looking to better human life in the process. See Capitalism isn't all trampling on top of each other in the name of profit.

You really don't get it, do you? Of course building a carbon neutral city is great, but you have to realise that in order to maintain a capitalist city/society, people need to have and spend money. Where do they get money? They work. Population is increasing and jobs are decreasing. In the near future there will be (almost) no jobs.

For example: Do you think we will still have bus drivers, once the technology to replace them exists and is proven? It just makes economic sense for the bus company. So eventually we will have no more bus drivers. This will happen with every single occupation you can think of. If a machine can replace a person, then that is what will happen. This is great for humanity and progress, but not for the monetary system.

You really don't get it, do you? Of course building a carbon neutral city is great, but you have to realise that in order to maintain a capitalist city/society, people need to have and spend money. Where do they get money? They work.

Of course in the dream society where machines do all the work and somehow provided everything we need we would not need money. In reality things are scarce and you need to trade to get what you want. Money is just the medium of exchange we use.
    Population is increasing and jobs are decreasing.

Really?
    In the near future there will be (almost) no jobs.
    It depends on what period of time you define the near future as. But most would class the near future as sometime in their lifetime or their children lifetime. And i doubt there will be no jobs. What happens if a machine breaks down, who will repair it, another machine? and what if that one breaks down?:pac:

For example: Do you think we will still have bus drivers, once the technology to replace them exists and is proven? It just makes economic sense for the bus company. So eventually we will have no more bus drivers. This will happen with every single occupation you can think of. If a machine can replace a person, then that is what will happen. This is great for humanity and progress, but not for the monetary system.

Yah. Marx said the same thing nearly 150 years ago.

Ooops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Sounds more believable/likely than libertarianism at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

One of the reasons Communism will never work, is the same reason this will never work.

People.

Quite simply they're a flawed and greedy species.

johngalway wrote: »
    One of the reasons Communism will never work, is the same reason this will never work.

People.

Quite simply they're a flawed and greedy species.

Exactly. Which is why the social contract (From Hobbes to Rousseau) is a much more useful measure of politics. Hobbes for example recognises that life is nasty, brutish and short. I mightn't agree with his conclusion (That since mankind is so inherently terrible it requires a strongman dictator to preserve some semblance of order) but I certainly don't disagree with the Hobbessian state of nature that would assert itself in the absence of a State.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

You really don't get it, do you? Of course building a carbon neutral city is great, but you have to realise that in order to maintain a capitalist city/society, people need to have and spend money. Where do they get money? They work. Population is increasing and jobs are decreasing. In the near future there will be (almost) no jobs.

A world where humans are completely replaced by machines sounds terrible for both humanity and progress. Already our heavy use of technology is retarding both how we process information and how we connect to each other as human beings; add society-wide idleness on top of that and you have a recipe for disaster. Work, whether in the home, in the market, or in service to the nation, gives people a sense of meaning and identity. Is it really possible to have a society where human beings contribute nothing to it? Can that kind of world really be called a society?

Aside from the lack of economic feasibility in the charter, and the general utopian nature of the document, I find its vision of the future to be utterly terrifying.

Advertisement