Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

W9D1

A complete disaster, 10mins in and realised I just wasn't in the mood.I ran 2.66 miles at a very slow pace and a developed a sore shoulder....I decided to quit then, Ah sure I'll attempt it again tomorrow.

Just a quick question for everyone - Do you find the run after a days rest tough? I always struggle the day after a rest, I'm not sure why...surely I should be full of energy!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

W6D2 fail! Hadn't run in a week and had cramps so instead of 2 ten min runs I did 2 five and 2 three min runs so it wasn't a total waste of time and its all exercise!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Seems like a few of us are having bad days! All you can really do is try again and like you say intouch, it's all exercise and counts for something! Although I took another day off today because I slept in, oops! :)

Candy Girl, my disastrous day yesterday was after a rest day and I was surprised because I thought I should be doing better after giving myself a break. In fact, my best runs have been the day immediately following sprint intervals which really tire me out.

I just seem to have good days and bad days and hopefully in time when I'm more used to running, the bad days won't be as frequent!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well. I went out Thursday evening to do W5D3 and failed miserably. I wasn't really in the mood for running as I was heading away that evening and felt in a bit of a rush but I said I'd do it anyway. It started drizzling as I started running and 10 minutes in was raining heavily. I got as far as 13.5 mins and had done about 2k, when my legs would go no further, I was soaked to the skin and totally miserable. On the upside, that was the furthest I've ever run without a break so that was good.

So I went out this evening again to have another go at it, this time success!!! Oh my god, my legs felt like lead once I had got to about 15 mins but i kept pushing to do another 30 seconds and once I got to 18 mins there was no way I was giving up. It was a very slow jog for those last couple of mins, I'd say I could walk faster. But I got 3k done in the 20 mins. So dead chuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,235 ✭✭✭✭fits

^ WELL DONE!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Well done you did w5d3!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I always have a rest day between runs, and I find it varies whether the run will be easy or hard after. I have heard that you are more likely to get injured when you start running if you don't take rest days, though.

Did W6R3 this morning. Did about 3 km in the 25 minutes which is disappointingly slow but hopefully I will improve.

Is the lidl running gear true to size?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Can be very variable. I have capris in a small and tops in a large that both fit me, and I'm normally a size 12.

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »
    Did W6R3 this morning. Did about 3 km in the 25 minutes which is disappointingly slow but hopefully I will improve.
    Believe me, I know the feeling! I just tell myself when I see faster runners that while I may be slower, I am working just as hard as them. Maybe even harder, because they look a lot more comfortable than I feel! :p

Had a better day today than Friday's disaster. I managed a full 5k but I was a long way off my best time. I think next time I will start off a little slower and try to maintain that pace as I seem to be tiring myself out early on.

I'm really glad I signed up for the Great Pink Run at the end of the month because knowing that it is coming up is pushing me to get out. It's nice to have something to aim for. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Did 5k on the bike and 7.75k on the crosstrainer today :confused: the crosstrainer was really easy today too by comparison with before. Mentioning it here because doing 8kph on it is jogging speed, felt a bit like jogging but easier and like I could go on indefinitely. Maybe there is hope for my w6d3 run after all! :)

Proper Nordic skiing ( what cross trainer imitates) is like that too. Works every muscle in the body but you can go a good distance. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

W6D3 just done - 22 mins - I did it and I found it fine!!! Can't believe I'm at this stage, can't believe how far I've come in 6 weeks!! Tomorrow is the start of week 7 - it's 3 25min runs so I think I can make a good go of them, I have the confidence now! :-D

Was starting to think that my good day last week when I increased my speed a lot was a fluke but then today was another good day, yay!

I was able to maintain the speed I wanted until after 4k when I got a stitch that slowed me down a bit.

My legs feel a bit knackered now though. I'm going to try to go for a swim in the next few days for a bit of variety. Although, I have been saying that for about a month and I haven't gone yet... effort! :o

Swimming does help kill off the aches and pains though, never got any from running when I swim after, but this has been an achey week without it!

My legs have just been really, really restless these last few weeks! Like all day and all night - very annoying. I feel like swimming would alleviate this somewhat, well I hope so anyway.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Swimming is great, nice form of cross-training if you run due to the lack of impact and significant upper body workout you get. I've been doing a good bit of it lately and am really enjoying it, makes my back play up a lot less than running does. Only so long that the local pool will be comfortable for though - 60m outdoor unheated pool!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Did W6D1. Wasn't in as much form for it as usual. Going back to run/walk intervals was a bit of a come down after the 20 min run a couple of nights ago. But having said that I don't think I would have been able for another 20 minute run tonight. Increased the run intervals a bit. Instead of 5, 8, 5 for the runs I did 7, 8 5. Roll on day 2.

Repeated w6d2. Did it this time. Went as slow as humanly possible, poor legs. Only did 3k or so. Afk to hobble around the place

• Advertisement

Just did W7R1 this morning. It was good although my hips were very sore straight afterwards. Did 3.2 km in 25 minutes which is slightly faster than the last day. Probably best to focus just on doing the times now and focus on speed later.

Am going to seek out the softer surface in the forest for the next run cos I was sore when I finished today.

Did W7D1 last night and I found it a good bit tougher than the 22mins on Sunday night. I think the break in between really makes a difference so I think that's why I struggled because I went straight from W6 into W7 with no rest. Nevertheless I finished it with only a 30 sec walking break at around the 17 min mark so I was pretty pleased with myself, if a little knackered :D

Rest tonight and back out again tomorrow :)

Attempted w6d2 again this evening and did it :D Ran outside this evening for the first time in over a year, really enjoyed it as there was a lovely breeze :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

W9D1 done last night (I did try on Friday and on Sunday but only managed 28 and 25 without stopping so I'm not counting that)

My sciatica is flaring up. :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I did Week 5 Day 3 this morning and actually did the full 20 minutes. I'm feckin' delighted with myself :D:D

I started it thinking I'd be happy if I did 12-15 minutes but didn't think I would go the whole 20. Yay!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jw30

Did W5D1 yesterday evening. This was the first time since starting I was actually in pain! The muscles on front of my shins got really tight & my stomach muscles hurt today. Did all of the running part though apart from walking 1min in the middle of the second 5min run...didn't think I'd manage the 3rd 5mins so was v pleased when I did. W5D3 seems terrifying though! Have only been getting out twice a week mostly so think I really need to be doing the 3 days a week at this stage!

I haven't really been tracking my speed....should I be doing this? Like I'm not that bothered about finishing at a certain time, I just want to complete it really!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

leahyl wrote: »
    I haven't really been tracking my speed....should I be doing this? Like I'm not that bothered about finishing at a certain time, I just want to complete it really!

There's nothing wrong with what you're doing at all, in fact it's the sensible approach. Concentrate on distance first, when you can comfortably do your 3k/5k/10k or whatever your goal is, then you'll find your body naturally speed up. It'll happen out of the blue some day :)

Only push your speed when you're comfortable with your distance and have confidence in what your body can do. Best bit of advice I got when I started running (or zombie shuffling morelike :p )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Today wasn't my day!

Changed into my exercise clothes, ready to go and realised that I left my runners in work! I said I would still go as I have the motivation, so I put on my other runners which are more casual/fashion runners than running runners. By the end of my podcast my left ankle was starting to get a bit sore as there isn't much support in the runners.

Felt to me that I wasn't as far along my route when the podcast ended as I was on Monday night. I took out my phone as I have a running app on it which tracks my distance and av mins per km and calories etc. But the gps didn't seem to have kicked in and it was telling me I was still at home and had gone nowhere in 27 mins!

Feels like a waste of time now, I know in my head it's not but I'm vexed now!

Advertisement