Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

• 13-02-2008 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,385 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

sorry if this has been discussed already but I've had it with Newstalk...they have way too many adverts or they take too many ad breaks.
    I know they are a commercial station but so is TodayFM which does not have as many breaks.
    Also while I'm here, I'm fed up listening to Claire Byrne practically begging people to text them so they can make more money from the 30cent texts arrrrggg!

right, time for Pat Kenny :o
    <rant over>

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I like NewsTalk but I do find they always rush topics.The breakfast show goes alone at about 100mph its as if they are trying to fit in way to much.

In saying that I would never listen to Pat Kenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

The morning show being in radio peak time is probably one of their advertising cash cows. They need to keep dragging in the money to keep denis o'brien rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,385 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

The morning show being in radio peak time is probably one of their advertising cash cows. They need to keep dragging in the money to keep denis o'brien rich.

yeah i suppose, real tabloid radio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

The Army of traffic watchers is a con. Help us with our traffic news and we'll charge you 30c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

sorry if this has been discussed already but I've had it with Newstalk...they have way too many adverts or they take too many ad breaks.
    I know they are a commercial station but so is TodayFM which does not have as many breaks.
    Also while I'm here, I'm fed up listening to Claire Byrne practically begging people to text them so they can make more money from the 30cent texts arrrrggg!

right, time for Pat Kenny :o
    <rant over>

Read the Matt Cooper thread, it touches on this subject as well.

• Advertisement

Roanmore wrote: »
    The Army of traffic watchers is a con. Help us with our traffic news and we'll charge you 30c.

I agree how many do they read out on any morning....very very few.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ger Gilroy reads boards. Hi Ger!

The show used to be much more serious but it's starting to get tabloid now - bringing up relative non-issues and just giving tasters of them without any serious discussion.

They've also started having the hosts doing the ads now, "Yeah Carlton Hotels are fab" aswell as the standard "Sponsored by" jingle. I think they're trying to figure how many ways they can possible generate cash.

seamus wrote: »
    Ger Gilroy reads boards. Hi Ger!

The show used to be much more serious but it's starting to get tabloid now - bringing up relative non-issues and just giving tasters of them without any serious discussion.

They've also started having the hosts doing the ads now, "Yeah Carlton Hotels are fab" aswell as the standard "Sponsored by" jingle. I think they're trying to figure how many ways they can possible generate cash.

ah yeah, that feckin jingle, how about "Different Station, different jingle" please!

seamus wrote: »

Yea I found that a bit cheesy.

They rush way way to much they always seems to cut people off for the news or the ads.If you compair this to Dunphy before them he gave people a lot more time and was not afraid to run over time.If Ger Gilroy is reading this then try to slow the show down you have 2 1/2 hours to fit everything in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Radio Mad.

Especially as he's now paying half the Ireland football management team's wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

In fairness having an entirely speech run station costs a lot of cash to run but I agree they could come up with more subtle ways of trying to turn a profit. I prefered it when it was just a Dublin station it seems these these days they are obsessed with 'Exclusives' and are realing itching for a more female audience with the whole Brenda Power crusade at the moment. I just can't stand her show-its worse than Liveline if possible. Ring up a station and have a moan about NTL or whatever. Could handle it once or twice a week but every bloody day. I hope it reverses its slide to tabloid radio cause there is still alot of talent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

The Off the Ball programme is very good.

The quality of guests they have is impressive imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Being an Independent radio they should have a certain amount of time allocated to advertising that they cant go over (BCI Guidelines).
    I know where I used to work it was 10 minutes and im pretty sure its the same for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I have to agree with the amount of ads,theres way too many. It feels like theres an ad every 5-6 mins.
    The station is becoming unbearable to listen to.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Roanmore wrote: »

Yes this is taking the p**s OK

Why are the live AA roadwatch traffic reports gone ? Do they have to pay for those ? Cutbacks ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭phog

The Off the Ball programme is very good.

The quality of guests they have is impressive imo

except for the monotone Simon Hick(s) - god but is he boring. They're good at begging for the text messages there too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It feels like the whole station is relying on those 30c injections. What I'd love to know is what % they get?

Anyway no good blaming Gilroy for the breakfast shows headlong rush, thats the producers remit and he/she is probably acting at thr behest of the station management regardlng style.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyway no good blaming Gilroy for the breakfast shows headlong rush, thats the producers remit and he/she is probably acting at thr behest of the station management regardlng style.

Thats true,i remember a few years ago Gilroy stud in for Dunphy when he was away Gilroy was very good much better than he is now.I can only put this down to having more time back then while using a different format.

Its getting to the stage now were its simple rude they are cutting most interviewees off mid sentence just so the news or ads can be on time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

'Health famine'

Wonderful.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Have they dropped the "army of traffic watchers" thing. Not heard them mention it in a few days now.

Of course, now they are banging on about the health famine thing instead.

*yawn*

I think it was Wednesday morning. They had some consultant on about the state of the health service. He was very passionate about the topic and was very interesting to listen to. Claire cuts him off mid-sentence, have to wrap it up there.

Then herself and Ger start going on about Valetine's Day and asking for people to text in about what they hope to get for Valetine's Day.

Let the topics flow and cut out the clutter.

• Advertisement

nope, they are still on about the army of traffic watchers, heard Ger going on about it this morning...i feel sorry for the idiots who text in to them to let them know about the traffic! Let AA do their job properly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

WTF is a health famine?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

They had some interviewee on who used the phrase "health famine" and they've since jumped on it as their next campaign.

On Wednesday next week they are doing "a day in the life of the health service".

They are looking for people to email in to take part. The email address is healthfamine@newstalk.ie !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I always had Newstalk on in the car in the mornings. mp3 player gets all the attention instead. Pleads for 30 cent text messages got annoying and the cutting off of people mid sentence got annoying too. I will only turn it on at 2pm now when Moncrieff goes on the air. Before that not a chance.

I agree with you Mossy Monk. The pleads for texts is getting very annoying, " we want to hear from you about what you had for breakfast this morning" or " Joan in Sligo is annoyed with the weather, so text us now, we want to hear whether you agree or disagree with Joan"....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭parasite

It's called a health famine as people are leaving the country for better health care :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Anyone know what happened to the morning newsreader Tara Duggan ? - I used to like her voice.

Is she on at another time(I haven't heard her) on hols,left ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

If the OP's point is specific to the morning show - then I agree 100%, and apart from the format of the programme, there is a problem and its Claire Byrne, not Ger. She was on one morning insisting that all cars had fog lights fitted as standard, and had an argument with a texter on that issue.

I dont like Brenda Power's voice either - too doe eyed.

However, I cant praise Off The Ball highly enough and I think its quality is enough on its own to justify the station's existence - I wouldnt have a problem with the ad breaks or the text requests, I would just about notice that the ad breaks come a little closer together towards the end of the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭nevey

I have given up on newstalk breakfast show - the real low-point which made me move the dial was a few months ago when they got people to phone in to compare pot-hole sizes around the country. This is brain-dead radio.
    There have seemed to be fewer and fewer high-profile correspondants on also. Maybe it's because they start so early - they have to spread the good stuff too thinly throughout the show and fill the void with stupid text-ins.
    I found myself listening to it earlier this week for the first time in ages. After about 5 minutes, they got on to the topic of nick-names and sure enough "have you had any interesting nick-names .... text us in on 53106". Appalling stuff. Just appalling.

• Advertisement

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    If the OP's point is specific to the morning show - then I agree 100%, and apart from the format of the programme, there is a problem and its Claire Byrne, not Ger. She was on one morning insisting that all cars had fog lights fitted as standard, and had an argument with a texter on that issue.

I dont like Brenda Power's voice either - too doe eyed.

Well my point was really aimed at the station in general, they seem to go overboard with ads.

Yes, when a show is nearing the end, they go to ads with 10 minutes to go, come back with, chat for about 5 minutes and then they go to ads again before taking the hourly news...sad I know this but it happens all the time.

and yes, Brenda Power bugs me also, the show has way too much oestrogen flowing around it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement