Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pro-Nutrition

Im a 5'9-about 68-70kg at the moment. Since I've been gyming it I've put on about a stone and a half and bulked up considerably. I seem to have plateaued at the minute and think I need to start with some supplements to Keep my body going.
    I've been feeling fatigued after my workouts and have been trying to eat more of the good stuff to fuel it-but in college its hard to do.

So heres the question-what supplement should I take? I want a mix of everything really and was wondering if there is a product that ticks all my boxes. I want to bulk up a bit more, so creatine and protein look like the way to go-but want something that will aide in recovery too.
    Am i looking for too much out of one product!!

Hi there, I am new to the boards so you will have to excuse me if I make a mess of this post. Anyway here it goes. I have been training for a number of years also. I started of with martial arts and after about 9-10 years I started lifting weights. When I first started my weight was about 11 stone, I was so skinny that I would of having to run around in the shower to get wet. For the first year or so I was training my ar** off 5-6 days a week and like yourself I hit a brick wall. I was eating everything I could get my hands on. Then I made a couple of changes, one of which was my training and of course supplement in take.

It’s easy for me to tell you to take this and that because I own my own supplement store. I am 6 feet and at the moment about 17.5stone. There is a couple of products that I could recommend but if I was to tell you now I would have my ar** kicked off here by the guys. But feel free to drop me a private mail and we can chat.

You could try a good weight gain; there are some good ones on the market at the mo. Maybe start taking in some creatine, its totally up to you whether you want to walk around looking like your going to explode or gain so good muscle mass (lean). NutritionX do a good weight gain called MassX which will set ya back about €55 for a 10lb, then you have the Truemass from BSN (Which is a favorite of mine). There is a product that ticks most of the boxes, its XXX from NutritionX. It contains Whey protein, Creatine, Glutamine, so that will help you with gaining quality muscle, strength and also recovery. Purely for recovery you could try a product called RAM, you take it directly after training. It restores electrolytes, water and refills glycogen which is all lost during training. When taking the RAM after you train you will notice you will not be as sore the next day, so I would recommend that you have a look at this product.

From what you are saying, you sound have if you are lean so do be careful. When I say careful I mean make sure that you don’t go crazy on the gainers/carbs and get too heavy. Try to focus on getting in good fats and proteins first and then if you feel you need more maybe have a look at the gainers.

My first post on the boards and I hope that I have been of some help to you. Speak soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Thanks a million for the post-it was really helpful!! I know that supplements are there to compliment your workout and help your body-It just feels kind of wrong to start off with, there seems to be a stigma attached to it with people who don't train.
    I am looking to gain for muscle, but i'm not competing or anything like that-its just to 'fill' my t shirts!! Having been a Men's Small for all my life (22) i've finally started to fill them and maybe even could venture into the Mediums.
    I'll definatly have a look at those products you mentioned, its nice having someone who's tried them etc because for a newb like me-they all look and sound the same. Half the stuff is gibberish to me anyways!!

Thanks a million for the post-it was really helpful!! I know that supplements are there to compliment your workout and help your body-It just feels kind of wrong to start off with, there seems to be a stigma attached to it with people who don't train.
    I am looking to gain for muscle, but i'm not competing or anything like that-its just to 'fill' my t shirts!! Having been a Men's Small for all my life (22) i've finally started to fill them and maybe even could venture into the Mediums.
    I'll definatly have a look at those products you mentioned, its nice having someone who's tried them etc because for a newb like me-they all look and sound the same. Half the stuff is gibberish to me anyways!!

I just replied to your mail there. Any way I know what you are talking about. For years I was so skinny and of course in school the lads been lads took advantage of that. I started in the martial arts then onto the weights, at last I found my calling and something that I love. My plan is to compete, I just need to build up the courage to do it. My friend Tommy Staunton (3 times Mr Ireland) looks after my training (I lift the weights and do all the hard work) and diets. I sent you a link to youtube, check him out. Anyone else want to check him out let me know and I will post the link.

Regarding the clothes thing, man I hear ya. I started off in small to medium and now I am in XXL and I am as happy as a pig in sh**. One thing I can say to you is keep going and before you know it you will see someone else looking back at you in the mirror. It will happen. Of course train correctly and listen to your body, its all well and good wanting to be big but you want to be big and fit at the same time so be careful of injuries etc etc.

keep it real :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tomkillkenny

Growth matrix from Reflex or trec nutrition have a product, but Growth matrix has 7 grams of l leucine . i saw it at monstersupplements and i think also at hpnutrition. instant mass from reflex also very good

Growth matrix from Reflex or trec nutrition have a product, but Growth matrix has 7 grams of l leucine . i saw it at monstersupplements and i think also at hpnutrition. instant mass from reflex also very good

To be honest with you I have never rely tried Trec and I would not not be a big fan of Reflex. I have to say that I find NutritionX products to be the dogs. Cheers Eamon and Alan :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tomkillkenny

NutritionX the products are cheaply put together with v low quality ingredients.. and are overpriced.Reflex vvgood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

NutritionX the products are cheaply put together with v low quality ingredients.. and are overpriced.Reflex vvgood.

What makes you say that??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Malteaser! wrote: »
    What makes you say that??
    The people paying him! Being a blatant shill is bad enough, but then bad mouthing the competition too with no backup.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

rubadub wrote: »
    The people paying him! Being a blatant shill is bad enough, but then bad mouthing the competition too with no backup.....

We're on the same page so...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

rubadub wrote: »

Makes you question the sort of company that promotes this kind of practice eh?? Shoddy advertising = shoddy products???

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    Makes you question the sort of company that promotes this kind of practice eh?? Shoddy advertising = shoddy products???

Guys I was not trying to start anything regarding any particular products, I was just giving my own personal opinion. Did not mean to start a heated debate:o

Guys I was not trying to start anything regarding any particular products, I was just giving my own personal opinion. Did not mean to start a heated debate:o

Not you ya mad thing!! That TomKilkenny guy has only just joined and in every post he pimps Reflex products and thrashes other companies!

Not you ya mad thing!! That TomKilkenny guy has only just joined and in every post he pimps Reflex products and thrashes other companies!

I taught I started a war. :D Cheaply put together, thats a laugh. I have used the NutritionX range for some time now and I know so many people using the products also and no complaints.

I taught I started a war. :D Cheaply put together, thats a laugh. I have used the NutritionX range for some time now and I know so many people using the products also and no complaints.

There's always one tho!!! And they usually have an axe to grind :D:D

There's always one tho!!! And they usually have an axe to grind :D:D

True oh so true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Deisenaut

Hi - Read the whole of this thread now - using mass x for the last month - 6ft - 11.5 stone age 33, and want to put on muslcle and size - doing 2 circuits of 12 exercises (weights), 15 reps, for last 3 months (3 times per week), going to split workouts (so 6 nights per week) next week. (10 exercises x 12 reps / 3 sets)

Diet is not as good as i'd like but eating pasta, tuna etc. and mass x every morning (and 3 meals per day)

Thinking of using RAM (after) and Xplode ii (before), but not sure if this is the right choice or if I should also use Mass X ASWELL in the morning. Any advice would be great as not sure if this is over doing it ??? Many thanks

Deisenaut wrote: »
    Hi - Read the whole of this thread now - using mass x for the last month - 6ft - 11.5 stone age 33, and want to put on muslcle and size - doing 2 circuits of 12 exercises (weights), 15 reps, for last 3 months (3 times per week), going to split workouts (so 6 nights per week) next week. (10 exercises x 12 reps / 3 sets)

Diet is not as good as i'd like but eating pasta, tuna etc. and mass x every morning (and 3 meals per day)

Thinking of using RAM (after) and Xplode ii (before), but not sure if this is the right choice or if I should also use Mass X ASWELL in the morning. Any advice would be great as not sure if this is over doing it ??? Many thanks

Hi there, Explode you say. I love it, with out tonight I was dead (One of those off days) To be honest with you I think that you need to look at the way your training. You seem to be doing alot and not give your body time to recover, which apart from the diet is the most important part of growing. I would suggest that you cut back on the training and try to put a routine together. Maybe train your entire body over say 4 days. I would gladly give you some ideas. People have this thing in their head that the more they train the bigger they will get, not so true. Your body needs time to recover and fix the damage you have done while forcing it to lift the heavy weights in the gym.

If you want to put on size, go ahead with the MassX but do keep in mind that you will not walk around with abs. You will get a bit of a belly. It all depends on what you want to do? Get big quick, calories and carbs load them bad boys in. You want to get big and stay reasonably lean you need to focus on the protein and the good fats (peanut butter, flaxseed, almonds and so on) Carbs are easy to come by but a good source of protein is not so easy. Unless your walking around with lbs of steak in your pocket and after todays budget I think we wont be eating steak for a while :P

I hope this help a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Deisenaut

Hi there, Explode you say. I love it, with out tonight I was dead (One of those off days) To be honest with you I think that you need to look at the way your training. You seem to be doing alot and not give your body time to recover, which apart from the diet is the most important part of growing. I would suggest that you cut back on the training and try to put a routine together. Maybe train your entire body over say 4 days.

I'm actually using a beginners training program from a book that seems to be really good, but I actually have my doubts about doing split workouts, each one three times a week - but this advise backs up that I should maybe cut this down to 2 days, therefore 4 workouts.
    I would gladly give you some ideas. People have this thing in their head that the more they train the bigger they will get, not so true. Your body needs time to recover and fix the damage you have done while forcing it to lift the heavy weights in the gym.

If you want to put on size, go ahead with the MassX but do keep in mind that you will not walk around with abs. You will get a bit of a belly.

Yeah, when I finish this tub, I am looking to change to something with lower carbs - maybe Whey Big or something.
    It all depends on what you want to do? Get big quick, calories and carbs load them bad boys in. You want to get big and stay reasonably lean you need to focus on the protein and the good fats (peanut butter, flaxseed, almonds and so on) Carbs are easy to come by but a good source of protein is not so easy. Unless your walking around with lbs of steak in your pocket and after todays budget I think we wont be eating steak for a while :P

I hope this help a bit

Thanks for this, it all helps. I am putting in the work but mainly am not sure about the supplementation. Do you thing the Xplode II (before) / RAM (after) idea is benificial? - Don't know if it is too soon, overloading on Creatine or what, and again, should I still take protein shakes if I go with this. Want to basically "fill" my T-shirts, get a chest (I don't have one at the moment) and some abs / biceps / triceps etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 prolifterdub

BSN NO EXPLODE is getting alot of rave reviews.check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

But its been banned for a year??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 simoncc

yeah NO Explode is banned right ? I heard it's because lot of young guys were using it for rugby and the parents lobbied against it.

Must admit I'm not entirely sure of the long term safety of NO though it feels so good and is so effective that i can't live without it . :D:D:eek::eek::P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Is there any supplement to help lose weight while training and do they they? I recently suffered a bad injury that left me immobile for the past 8 months and my weight ballooned to 15st and I'm a 6ft guy!

Deisenaut wrote: »
    I'm actually using a beginners training program from a book that seems to be really good, but I actually have my doubts about doing split workouts, each one three times a week - but this advise backs up that I should maybe cut this down to 2 days, therefore 4 workouts.

Yeah, when I finish this tub, I am looking to change to something with lower carbs - maybe Whey Big or something.

Thanks for this, it all helps. I am putting in the work but mainly am not sure about the supplementation. Do you thing the Xplode II (before) / RAM (after) idea is benificial? - Don't know if it is too soon, overloading on Creatine or what, and again, should I still take protein shakes if I go with this. Want to basically "fill" my T-shirts, get a chest (I don't have one at the moment) and some abs / biceps / triceps etc.

If I was you I would great cracking on th training now, get that part right first along with your diet. Give it a couple of weeks then look at the supplements. Wanting to fill your t-shirt man I was the exact same. To answer your question about Explode, I use it myself, right now I am totally carb depleted so with the kick of explode I would be finding it a lot harder to get through my heavy sessions. But take it handy and give it a couple of weeks before spending your money of supplements. You will need them but give it the couple of weeks and then lets talk.

Hey man, BSN Explode was good. We stocked it ourselves until one day with out any warning customs along with the Irish Medical Board came into our shop and took the lot off the shelfs :eek: there are other products out there as good if not better:D

what would you rate as better than NO Explode ? I want to try that !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Rugby100

Myoctin or Tornado would be better than explode I think

thanks will give them a whirl

What are you looking at it for pre work out or post, muscle enhancement or what just depends...

amping up the intensity of the workout, my diet is pretty good as I am a food Nazi; but am a recent convert to the improved lifting abilty that NO brings.

• Advertisement

That tornado is good give you boost with energy but myoctin is the product has all the stuff you need on it you can load on it for 2 weeks then keep maitance it will help you build up and its recognised product university tested ticks all the boxes

Advertisement