Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Import van from the UK

• 26-06-2013 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭

I am importing a transit Van from the UK. There is almost no information on what process to use for a van on revenue, citizens information or the VRT section of the NCT testers. Plenty about cars but the NCT page of FAQ's which is very unhelpful.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Vans do a DOE for road-worthiness, not an NCT. Your standard van has VRT at a flat rate of €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

ninty9er wrote: »
    Vans do a DOE for road-worthiness, not an NCT. Your standard van has VRT at a flat rate of €50.

But do vans have to go through the same import process as cars, via NCT centres? Probably do, but don't know for sure.

Also, VRT went up on commercials a few years ago. It's now €200 for vehicles with Type N1 European approval.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

Vans under 3.5t are subject to vrt at 13.3% of omsp, only vans over 3.5t are subject to flat rate 200e.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/faqs-vrt.html#section8

check out the following on the faq's
    What is a Category B vehicle?
    What is a Category C vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ferguscork

btb wrote: »
    Vans under 3.5t are subject to vrt at 13.3% of omsp, only vans over 3.5t are subject to flat rate 200e.

If this is the case, how can you determine up front what importing the van is going to cost ? I can't understand how the online vrt calculator under the commercials section does not list common vans such as the trafic / primastar etc.

I want to import an 08 trafic from NI but until I know for sure what the VRT is definitively going to be, then I won't buy it.

Our system is an absolute joke. It is not in the least bit transparent, particularly for comercial vehicles.

See the reply I got from Revenue today when I asked the same question:

Fergus,

The V.R.T. IS AT 13.3 % if its under 3500 its £200 and as we do not do V.R.T. calculations any more the only way you could get a price is by checking with the garages as to the O.M.S.P. in this country and work it out from there.

Ann

Sent: 04 August 2014 18:04
    To: Revenue VRO Cork; Fergus Cawley
    Subject: OMSP on Used Commercial Vehice

DearSir / Madam

I have been trying to get an estimate on the vrt payable on a commercial vehicle I wish to buy for my bsiness. The commercial vehicle is Category C and is in Northern Irleand.

It is a 2008 Renault Trafic LWB Panel Van, with 77000 miles.

From what I can find on-line, there is somewhat conflcting information out there.

One suggestion is tha VRT isjust €200. Is this correct ?

Another suggestion is that because the van is Category N1 (ie <3500kgs) it is subject to VRT based upon 13.3% of the OMSP. If this is the case, then what OMSP would the VRT of 13.3% be based ?

Can you please advise ?

My number is 08x-xxxxxxx

Thanks

Advertisement