Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donegal Ghost Stories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

I have often heard tell of the ghost of Ards Monastry... there are two alledged ghosts, the first is of a lady, here is the story

http://bit.ly/9CehbJ

The second story is of the ghost that appears down the arch way that leads into the forest, before you come to Ards main entrance as you approach from Dunfanaghy. You will see a tallish archway (although it could be over-grown now), where the is a lane that goes through the forest over as far as the Ard's monastry. There have been reports of a ghost of a man that was killed by the Whiteboys back in the day.

I know a man who brough his springer spaniel for a walk down that road, and when they reached a certain point, the dog became upset and would go no further... I cant find anything online about it though.

Last year there was an article in the Finn Valley Voice about a haunted house on Naveny Street, Ballybofey. The people renting the house fled one night when strange things started happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Spooky one I heard but not from Donegal but new york. I was told it in good faith but may have heard it in another form so could be an urban myth. A scary story not a ghost story.

2 Irish girls share an apt in new york who for the story are Mary and Cathy. Both are planning to head out for the night and are getting glammed up, war paint etc and are planning to meet up with the rest of the crew at a pub in the city. Cathy has been complaining about feeling unwelll and doesn't want to go but is persuaded to and that she will feel better later.
    As they head to the taxi Cathy finally gets her way and says shes is not going due to upset tummy and heads back to the apartment. Mary gets in the taxi and heads to town a bit pissed off with Cathy. 15 mins later when shes goes to pay for the taxi she realises she left her purse behind and sees it clearly on the dressing table in the bedroom. Fustrated she asks the taxi man to return to the apt in order to be paid etc. and then to return her to the pub. Another 15 mins later she enters the apt and runs to the bedroom, hesitates at the lightswitch but doesn't turn it on as she figures Cathy is gone to bed and must have genuinely not been feeling well. She sees the purse, grabs it and goes to the taxi. Pays him, meets up with the others has a great night out etc etc.

On returning to the apt building she sees police outside and tries to ingnore them and whatever has happened, its New york after all. On entering the building she is stopped and asked her apt number. On hearing the number the officer brings her to the detective on scene. He explains that her roommate has been brutally murdered and the bedroom is an unpleasant sight to say the least. They had in fact being chasing the criminal but he gave them the slip. The gruesome killing has all the hallmarks of his other kills gory etc but for one detail that the detective is puzzeled by and was hoping Mary could clear up for him if she could enter the crimescene (bedroom) again. Thinking of her friend and her duty to try and get this guy caught she agrees.
    As mary enters the apt a chill sets over her as shes sees the lines of officers and forensics already on scene.
    As she is led to the bedroom her eyes can already see the bloodsplattered walls and she thinks of her friend. Already in shock she diverts here eyes from the bed where cathys body lays. The detective points to the mirror above the dressing table where she had picked her purse up from only hours before and asks here if she can explain it. She recieves her final shock and falls to the floor on seeing the mirror. Written upon it in her friends own blood is the message " aren't you glad you didn't turn on the light"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Spooky one I heard but not from Donegal but new york. I was told it in good faith but may have heard it in another form so could be an urban myth. A scary story not a ghost story.

2 Irish girls share an apt in new york who for the story are Mary and Cathy. Both are planning to head out for the night and are getting glammed up, war paint etc and are planning to meet up with the rest of the crew at a pub in the city. Cathy has been complaining about feeling unwelll and doesn't want to go but is persuaded to and that she will feel better later.
    As they head to the taxi Cathy finally gets her way and says shes is not going due to upset tummy and heads back to the apartment. Mary gets in the taxi and heads to town a bit pissed off with Cathy. 15 mins later when shes goes to pay for the taxi she realises she left her purse behind and sees it clearly on the dressing table in the bedroom. Fustrated she asks the taxi man to return to the apt in order to be paid etc. and then to return her to the pub. Another 15 mins later she enters the apt and runs to the bedroom, hesitates at the lightswitch but doesn't turn it on as she figures Cathy is gone to bed and must have genuinely not been feeling well. She sees the purse, grabs it and goes to the taxi. Pays him, meets up with the others has a great night out etc etc.

On returning to the apt building she sees police outside and tries to ingnore them and whatever has happened, its New york after all. On entering the building she is stopped and asked her apt number. On hearing the number the officer brings her to the detective on scene. He explains that her roommate has been brutally murdered and the bedroom is an unpleasant sight to say the least. They had in fact being chasing the criminal but he gave them the slip. The gruesome killing has all the hallmarks of his other kills gory etc but for one detail that the detective is puzzeled by and was hoping Mary could clear up for him if she could enter the crimescene (bedroom) again. Thinking of her friend and her duty to try and get this guy caught she agrees.
    As mary enters the apt a chill sets over her as shes sees the lines of officers and forensics already on scene.
    As she is led to the bedroom her eyes can already see the bloodsplattered walls and she thinks of her friend. Already in shock she diverts here eyes from the bed where cathys body lays. The detective points to the mirror above the dressing table where she had picked her purse up from only hours before and asks here if she can explain it. She recieves her final shock and falls to the floor on seeing the mirror. Written upon it in her friends own blood is the message " aren't you glad you didn't turn on the light"

Urban Legend recycled to the nth degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Must have been a HHHUUUGE mirror..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

A long time ago the roads were still just gravel and not tarred over, (no smart ones please) On a hill down the road from my home-place an old man lived by himself and when the local children were passing on the road he would engage them for a while and relate the following story;

His grandfather William ,who by all accounts was a very handsome man and who lived in the same house, once went the the fair to sell some cattle .
    After the fair having sold all his animals and having a few shillings to spare he went around the market to buy some goods for himself. As he walked he found himself next to a beautiful young lady dressed to the finest and who seemed to be walking alone.

Chance would have it they both stopped at the same stall and he noticed her gazing at a beautiful display of flowers ,he deliberately stood close to her and politely said" what flower is that" to which she replied " I believe they are Chrysanthemums and how lovely they are"
    He took a penny from his pocket and handed it to the lady behind the stall then picked a flower from the display and gave it to the lady saying" please have one for your bonnet" she smiled and took the flower and said"thank you how nice"

No sooner had the moment passed but a gentleman in an army uniform had come between them and squaring up to William said " get on about your business sir and don't bother the lady" he then turned around and grabbed the lady's elbow and moved her away quickly muttering as they went.

That day William had a few drinks in the pub and as darkness fell he made his way home it would be about three miles walk from the town to the cottage a journey he had made many times.The following morning they found William outside his cottage lying in pool of blood his hand outstretched as though to open the gate, he had obviously tried to pull himself up.

The blood stains remained on the road for some time to come and as time wore on the truth came out that the young soldier who he had made jealous by offering the young lady the flower had mounted his horse and rode after William in the darkness and ran him through with his bayonet as he stopped to open the gate

Now the children ,as if not already scared enough, watched as the old man pointed his stick to a big stone in the road and told them "to this day when that stone gets wet it still weeps the blood of poor William " and he walked over to the stone and spat on it and sure enough no sooner had the spittle hit the stone but it was blood red ."there" he said"there's the proof".

A true story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

fontanalis wrote: »
    I think I heard about this in the early 90's but it was a man not a girl.
    Isn't there supposed to be a haunted house in Killybegs? I also heard about the <SNIP>

Mod edit: Do not post names of individual properties.

Yeah, on the Fintra side of Killybegs, not even a half mile out of the town there is a bungalow that's supposed to be haunted. Is that the one or is it another one you are thinking of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    Yeah, on the Fintra side of Killybegs, not even a half mile out of the town there is a bungalow that's supposed to be haunted. Is that the one or is it another one you are thinking of?

I think the one I was told off is out by the Killybegs football pitch, up by Conlon road direction, could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MissOfada

when i was growing up in killybegs, i would go up to the fintra beach for a walk. i was walking past the old fintra house hotel which was closed up for the winter. suddenly i heard a baby crying from inside the hotel. i even went right up to the door and put my ear to it. as clear as day i hear i could hear it. so i walk all around the building looking for a way in and there wasn't one. when i got home i told my mum about it, she called a friend of hers who looks after the holiday homes beside the hotel and asked if any family were staying in house, she said no. all i know is i heard a baby crying in a lock up building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JillAM

muffler wrote: »
    I heard the story of the hoofed feet but it was supposed to have happened in the old Orchid ballroom in Lifford.

Iwas told of the story of the hoofed feet by my Parents My father was a bouncer and my mother worked as a tea lady in the ballroom back in the 1960

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

here is one more from the top of my head..

20 years ago in Letterkenny, tenants at Fabi's flats experienced strange noises, cold patches and voices in the middle of the night. This went on for a couple of years. One girl I knew who used to stay there, told me that she used to wake in the middle of the night with a recurring dream of a woman and crying child. As far as I remember, they had to get someone in the bless the place. When they investigated the history of the area and building it turned out that itwas on the site of the old Letterkenny sick-house, and there is an old burial ground nearby ( bottom left of map http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,617329,912030,7,9)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

here is one more from the top of my head..

20 years ago in Letterkenny, tenants at Fabi's flats experienced strange noises, cold patches and voices in the middle of the night. This went on for a couple of years. One girl I knew who used to stay there, told me that she used to wake in the middle of the night with a recurring dream of a woman and crying child. As far as I remember, they had to get someone in the bless the place. When they investigated the history of the area and building it turned out that itwas on the site of the old Letterkenny sick-house, and there is an old burial ground nearby ( bottom left of map http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,617329,912030,7,9)

Where was Fabi's flats?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

JillAM wrote: »
    Iwas told of the story of the hoofed feet by my Parents My father was a bouncer and my mother worked as a tea lady in the ballroom back in the 1960
    I recall my older sisters telling the story. They hadn't actually seen anything themselves but had friends who did apparently.

Pity there wasn't mobile phones with built in cameras back in the day :D

There's a place near Porthall called Knox's (old house and estate) and is or was haunted...I think. Apart from one strange incident I dont recall anyone ever actually seeing anything but dozens of people including myself certainly heard strange noises.

The noise was like someone exhaling deeply or sighing and I heard this twice myself. The first time was on a late Summer's evening when myself and a mate were returning home after putting a net hook and worm on the river. It was near dusk but still reasonably clear and as we walked up the road we both heard this sighing or heavy breathing coming from behind the hedge that separated the road from a field. It was a hawthorn hedge and only about 3 - 4 feet high and thin at the bottom so that you could see right into the field. There was nothing behind the hedge yet we could hear the strange noise. Oddly enough this field was on the opposite side of the road from "Knox's house"

My mate had a bike and on hearing the noise he jumped on it and took off like a bloody greyhound. I managed to catch hold of the "carrier" that was at the rear of the bike and made sure I wasnt going to be left behind. He cycled/I ran for about 200 yards and then stopped but the noise was still behind the hedge as though it was following us. Cycled/ran for another couple of hundred yards until we reached a house and stopped again and this time the noise had disappeared.

The second occasion I heard this was about 3 in the morning when myself and a different mate were making our way home (walking) from a night out. Again it was bright enough with a near full moon in view. At just the same spot both of us heard this weird breathing/sighing noise again. We are at a place called "Mehaffy's lane" and my mate gathered gravel from the lane and started to throw the stones into the field but to no avail.

From my previous "encounter" with this "thing" I knew it would cause us no harm so we walked on and for the next three to four hundred yards the "noise" followed us up the inside of the hedge until we got near to the house at the top of the brae and the noise just simply stopped. All the time we could see into the field but there was nothing physical there.

I have heard stories of other peoples "encounters" and while some were scared no one ever came to any harm and no one ever seen anything.

Where was Fabi's flats?

on the High Road, right across from what was Furniture World, just before the entrance to the old swimming pool going up the high road. Fabi's chip shop used to be down stairs. See here

JillAM wrote: »

the hoofed feet story is also associated with Loftus Hall in Wexford, I remember hearing it from a local one time I was down there.. story

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

the hoofed feet story is also associated with Loftus Hall in Wexford, I remember hearing it from a local one time I was down there.. story

It is one of those stories that would probably be called an urban legend these days.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

That loftus hall looks like a stunning building, but spooky! I have family who sometimes have sheep on the BlueStacks connecting Glenfin and Donegal Town.

I have heard of stories of them heading off out on treks to find sheep and carrying some food with them in backbacks if the take a sudden hunger. This sudden hunger hits you when you allegedly pass over a spot where someone from the famine died.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ammonite

Anyone heard about a certain very large old property in Drumboe, just outside Ballybofey. It was said to have been haunted by its well known former female owner. The house was sold in the late 90's, not sure if it was then that the haunted rumours started.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭grugni

Many moons ago I used to work in a hotel. This hotel is very old and the oldest part of the building is over a 100 years so naturally there was plenty of creeks and groans in the building but you got used to hearing those.
    Anywho along the very top floor in one particular room many years ago a lady threw herself out of the window and died. Being the cynic I am, I never let these stories bug me. But I did hear many of the older staff go on about weird things that happened on the top floor stuff moving, strange noises etc but I put that down to either them going crazy or being drunk (or both). Also it is very odd place the top floor, its like a timewarp since the building was so old, staff used to stay up there but they haven't for many years now.
    One particular night I was working late in the bar (hotel bar so 3am opening was a very common occurrence) I received a call from one of the staff staying on the top floor in the room directly across from the one which the accident took place. It was one of the most vivid calls I remember the poor girl was in tears, absolutely terrified and convinced that there was someone trying to get into her room, she said the handle kept on turning and something was trying to get in. Just by the sound of her voice you could tell this wasnt a prank so I pegged it out the door up the center stairs directly to the top floor as I thought someone was trying to break in or worse. No more than a 20 second run but I hammered it up the stairs I would have sounded like an earthquake running up. From the top floor is there is only 2 ways down, Via the stairs I was going up and via the stairs at the front of the building which is down a long corridor. I reached the top there was no one there I knocked on the door that the girl was in and she wouldn't open it to start, it was only when the other staff who where down in the bar came up after I pegged it. We searched all the rooms on the floor and found no one and none of the guests reported anyone descending the front stairs as it leads to the front lounge. The hotel was securely locked, there was no way in unless I let them in. The girl in the room quit the next day and moved back home to Germany. It was shortly after that that staff stopped staying on the top floor. I always told the owners that they could do haunted hotel tours and just sit people in the rooms along that top corridor as it is a genuinely spooky place.

Make of it what you will but it sure as hell freaked me out....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Reminds me of an old red brick hotel I used to work in. Similar stories.

Why the **** am I reading this thread at 2.03am. :{

• Registered Users Posts: 36 daviddonnelly

Can anyone provide and information on supernatural events or ghost stories in the Donegal town and surrounding areas

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭grugni

I would take a gander at this thread here for peoples ghost stories from about the county

• Registered Users Posts: 36 daviddonnelly

Thanks Grugni

I had seen this thread and was hoping to get something more on the subject. I had heard a few tales like one relating to the Roes Bridge outside Frosses. It was told to me that during the great hunger a famine pot was situated at the bridge and those who could make it to get their ration of gruel were the fortunate ones, however there are supposed to be a few who werent so fortunate and who still frequent the area in spirit

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AllIsVanity

i was always really skeptical about things like this, I'd be more into believing time time travel or posthuman concepts than anything spiritual. BUT when you feel and experience thing you kinda go ...hmmm what if...
    i live in an old house in killybegs that wasn't always a house. There's one room in it that is just 'uncomfortable'. The cats rarely go into it and it's their behaviour that twigged me to the 'feeling' in the room.
    First off it 100% impossible to sleep in it. You just wont sleep and any guests that stay always report bad nights sleep and vivid dreams, as well as the feeling of being woken up by somebody standing over you,and i never mention anything about it before. so its not a kind of psychosomatic response.
    second is the odd floral/sweet rotting smell that is in it. it's not an organic smell like wood or mold or grass...but a cloying, hard to describe smell. it comes and goes and varies in intensity. not from season to season, as if it was something to do with dampness or air temperature.
    yes its an old house and the wind can probably be attributed to all the doors closing and creaking etc, but several times on perfectly calm and still days the door to that room bangs shut. you can put a heater on all day but it wont ever get comfortably warm. the air may be warm but it has a feeling like putting on really cold clothes.
    I've noticed that the cats, when they do go in which is rare ive noticed them 'paying attention' and bobbing their heads to nothing. like facing away fro me they act like someone is dangling a necklace or whatever .sometimes they walk by and pop their heads in and suddenly get spooked, hiss(and i NEVER hear them hiss at anything, even other strangers cats)and bolt away from the room. one of them kind of 'barked' and growled when i brought him near it(i dont make a habit of it, i just wanted to see what was up!) and would run from our bedroom to the front room in record speed for ages after, never going near the room again.
    now the two things that probably sound like hogwash, but im being 100% honest here.
    about 4-5 months after moving in i was using the room for storage, and to maybe throw off my coat or shoes etc. one day i was home after a walk down the town and i threw my bag onto the bed and took some stuff out of it. it was up by the headboard of the bed, in a kind of 'nest' of a folded up duvet., a good 6-7 foot from the END of the bed, not the side or anything.there really isn't any way it could have tumbled or fell off the bed, and if it did it would have rolled off to the side, not roll the 10-15 times it took to go off the end of the bed, over a foot high footboard and the two foot to go lie at the skirting board i went back into the living room and although still hot from the walk home, it was summer, i felt a total chill over me and about 10 mins later there was a noise. i hadn't any cats at the time and went to see what it was...the bag, a heavy leather bag was on the floor at the end of the bed. the smell of the room was really strong and it was cold, i got this feeling of dread come over me, it was a strong and encompassing feeling of fear and depression. I got scared (and i am not easily scared) and turned on music loud, and had the lights on...i kept having this urge to go back into the room and kept turning my head to look at it...now of course it can be 100% down to my mind playing tricks, but it was such an odd and powerful feeling i can't explain it properly.

the next thing happened about 2 months after and with it came the same feeling of dread, so i wont go with that, but it was stronger than before. i was having a shower at night, in the house alone except for the cats. one of them nudged his way into the bathroom and kept meowing at me, and he is a pretty silent cat (except when its breakfast time) but he had been well fed, he just kept meowing at me and looking towards the door. kind of bobbing his head and looking at something. i felt a chill over me and , i am not making this up, i promise, the sound of rustling paper like a big broadsheet paper when someing is snapping it and flipping the pages. it wasnt the sound of water from the shower, i turned it off and called out for my girlfriend's name, who was in work, the noise stopped. i got pretty freaked and got out and dressed in record time. same feeling of dread etc, and had the strongest feeling to just get out.
    i came back an hour later before my girlfriend was home and was brave enough then(yes i know!) to open the door...inside there was a small pool of water on the floor and that was it. just a small pool about the size of a saucer on the floor. absolutely no splash marks , no signs of anything leaking, nothing in there to have caused it to spill...of coure youd think 'oh your cat just peed in the room) but they dont do that and if they did there you would see rivulets of it and splashes, also there is no way they could have gotten in and out of the room and closed the door.
    plus it was water, not cat urine, which stinks, it was like water you would get off a wet stone with lichen on it, kinda 'oily' and it was 'wetter' than water, if that makes sense. about a month after that i went to get a book out of a drawer i kept books in, i hadnt read this for ages and wanted to reference something, and noticed that the pages were all damp and 'oily' but the cover and the books above and below were not affected. the book was pretty old too. there is zero dampness in that oom and no vermin that could have gotten in and soiled the floor and book.
    there have been other minor instances, including a friend who got totally freaked out, and i had been mindful not to mention anything about this to her, and was in a right state after being left there for 2-3 hrs alone. she kept saying that she felt someone was watching her and the cats kept looking past her shoulder( which would be out the door towards the room as she was sitting on the sofa) she had dreams that night of being really sad and being lost and cold. the other things are taps and clicks...kind like a metallic clicking back and forward, the door opening it self and banging shut, the sound that someone makes when they are reciting a prayer or something silently and their lips mildly 'smacking' ...you can hear that clearly sometimes but its impossible to hear what is being 'said'...all these times the smell is very noticeable. im here over a year now and have researched and researched explanations for these things but like i said, experiencing them is one thing.
    sorry for the essay there but that's whats the craic here! its <SNIP> i live in btw.

Mod edit: Identity of property removed as we have no way of knowing who lives there.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Endless Nameless

OP are you talking about the Ballymacool House thread?

I was reading that and somebody posted this : https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/186438/92836.jpg

It's an abandoned house beside the college, I went walk around it one day and apparently it's haunted.

Anybody got any info on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gavin1808

Where exactly is this haunted house situated on the Fintra side of Killybegs???? I have been looking for an exact address for this house for ages. Can you post an address for me?

Gavin1808 wrote: »
    Where exactly is this haunted house situated on the Fintra side of Killybegs???? I have been looking for an exact address for this house for ages. Can you post an address for me?
    Nope, sorry but we dont want the actual address posted here if for no other reason than to protect the anonymity of the people who currently reside there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pabaoz

I remember the ghost story involving the Owencarrow viaduct train crash. In 1925 a train crash occurred on the line at the viaduct crossing near Creeslough,a strong gust of wind blew the train over the viaduct killing 4 people .One of those died was a woman. The image of a old woman was spotted by my Mother and at least 4 other people .She would walk to the spot where the train crash happened then she would walk across the viaduct and follow the line over the hill. My mother and others say it was the woman that died in that crash. This woman was spotted a number of times . She was dressed in old style clothes from the 1920s and was wearing a headscarf, she was also seen holding rosary beads. Any body else know of this story

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

I remember hearing that story as a child, though I don't know anyone who has claimed to see this woman.

I'd forgotten all about it, until I read it here.

Advertisement