Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vasectomy

• 28-05-2011 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

hello everyone , not sure if this is even the right forum for this topic , im seriously considering having a vasectomy and have a few basic questions

1. do you need a referal from your GP in order to arrange to have one

2. how long would you need to take off work following the proceedure

3. how long would you usually be on painkillers or medication following the proceedure

4. how long before everything is back to normal following the proceedure in terms of being able to partake in physical activity and im refering to sport , exercise , even , going for a run

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

like having a tooth out. no need for referral - no need to take time off work - no need for painkillers - maybe a fortnight before getting back to activesport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

dont do it man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Don't go there. Knew a guy who got post-vasectomy pain syndrome, really painful. Its more common than they let on.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

1.Some places do require a referral, others do not. A discussion with your GP will allow someone who knows you to explain the operation, and it's effects to you. It may be worth talking to him/her and then considering your options and making sure you are happy to go ahead, rather than filling out a form in the five minutes before hand.
    Some places that do vasectomies require a signed form/release to show that your doctor/someone has discussed the implications with you and your partner.

2.I got it done on a thursday around 12. Didn't feel much until around 5 that evening. Best off staying in bed with frozen peas until saturday. Was up and about on sunday morning, but still took care not to lift the kids for a week or two.

3. Local anasthetic that they give you wears off after a few hours. Painkillers(buy neurofen) for a day or two, nothing too bad.

4. In terms of exercise, it was probably 13 days later I went back playing soccer.
    Running wasn't too bad, but a football to the groin was definitely sorer than normal.

Other matters
    You need supportive underwear (bikini/brief, not standard boxers) for may 6 weeks after.
    Bleeding should be minimal.
    Pain in the groin means you're probably doing too much, take it easier, put back on the briefs.
    You still need to use condoms for at least 20 weeks (they say, to cover their asses) More likely at least 8 weeks. You send off samples at 20 and 24 weeks to confirm sterilisation.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Wonder if many people regret getting them? I have been toying with the idea myself. Only 28 YO but I despise kids. Anyone here got one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Anyone regret it ? is there any age / number of kids limit on it ? , as above , 20s , hate kids,

also how much does it usually cost ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

TGC Lurker wrote: »
    Wonder if many people regret getting them? I have been toying with the idea myself. Only 28 YO but I despise kids. Anyone here got one?

I think the thing got man men is that to be a real man is to be a fertile one. To choose to become a man shooting blanks for many is a step too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Back to the OP's point

Where do you go?
    I want to get the snip done - don't have the time to take a day off to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 orandy

I had vasectomy six years ago, in my late thirties, we decided three kids was enough. Went to the Well woman clinic (!) in Northside Shopping centre. No GP referral. Both us had to have a counselling session, which was fairly intensive- sure you don't any more kids? what if your partner dies and you meet someone else? etc.etc.
    I doubt that they would perform the op on someone in their twenties who says they don't like kids - everyone can change their minds, and as they say, the operation should be regarded as irreversible as the success rate for reversing is so low.
    from talking to many friends who have had it done- the problems of pain arise mostly from people who tried to rush back to work etc. Do what they tell you- stay in bed for 24 hours- back to work after 4-5 days, and there generally isn't any problem. Sport took a few weeks. Don't even think of trying to go back to work the same day.
    Absolutely no regrets, we'd had enough kids and it was and still is, wonderful for the sex life!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

alex73 wrote: »
    Don't go there. Knew a guy who got post-vasectomy pain syndrome, really painful. Its more common than they let on.

i already suffer with chronic pain in my back and in my rib area , i probably wouldnt notice another sore spot :D

seriously though , due to my condition ( it may get worse and will never get better ) , i cant see myself ever being able to afford kids and i dont buy into the idea that not having kids is somehow selfish , on the contary , i think having them if you cant afford to is selfish in the extreme , anyway , thats another debate

thanks for all the advice everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I had my snip in the Well Woman clinic too. As mentioned above there was counciling for my wife and I.
    The procedure only takes a matter of minutes.
    I was capable of getting up and doing light work after a couple of days but I did manage to streach out my recovery time on the couch for a week before she realised I was faking it.
    to be a real man is to be a fertile one
    - I thought to be a real man you had to support United? Damn, look at all the money I wasted on season tickets and I don't even like soccerball.:rolleyes:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

alex73 wrote: »
    I think the thing got man men is that to be a real man is to be a fertile one. To choose to become a man shooting blanks for many is a step too far.
    OldGoat wrote: »
    I thought to be a real man you had to support United? Damn, look at all the money I wasted on season tickets and I don't even like soccerball.:rolleyes:

on a serious note i have heard a few men say that they'd feel like "less of a man" if they'd had the snip.

as a female whose ex-partner had had it done, i can say that it made no appreciable difference to the sex or the quality and quantity of the semen (sorry if tmi but its something i think people might be concerned about). and it was a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge relief not to have to worry about contraception.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Can't believe the "real man" comments here. He's taking about a vasectomy not fking castration!!

...and it's reversable!

Also perhaps some statistics might be better than "Don't do it, I knew a guy once..."
    A phone and postal survey of 172 patients 4 years after vasectomy found that 15% of respondents experienced chronic testicular discomfort that was troublesome and that 33% of respondents experienced some chronic testicular discomfort.[6]

A retrospective postal survey of 396 men found that 4% had significant genital pain for more than one year that required surgical intervention.[7]

Another study contacted 470 vasectomy patients and received 182 responses, finding that 18.7% of respondents experienced chronic genital pain with 2.2% of respondents experiencing pain that adversely affected quality of life.[17]

Treatment depends on the proximate cause. In one study, it was reported that 9 of 13 men who underwent vasectomy reversal in an attempt to relieve post-vasectomy pain syndrome became pain-free, though the followup was only one month in some cases.[2] Another study found that 24 of 32 men had relief after vasectomy reversal. [15]

Nerve entrapment is treated with surgery to free the nerve from the scar tissue, or to cut the nerve.[13] One study reported that denervation of the spermatic cord provided complete relief at the first follow-up visit in 13 of 17 cases, and that the other four patients reported improvement.[7] As nerves may regrow, long-term studies are needed.]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-vasectomy_pain_syndrome

• Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I had my Vasectomy in August of '09 (aged 29) at the Parnell Medical Practice in Ennis.
    Yes I needed a letter from my GP, and a counselling session.
    I found ice and rest to be just as effective as the painkillers.
    As for time off work....It depends on the Job I was in an office at the time so I had the snip on a Friday and went to work on a Monday, couldn't imagine going back so quick if I had a physical job.
    As for the prcedure.
    It was @15mins under local anaesthetic, most disconcerting experience of the whole thing was the smell of cooking pork from my 'nads whilst being cauterised :P
    I left the clinic with a prescription for a few days worth of Zydol and that along with plenty of ice I got over the 1st few days with no trouble.
    I did have a few weeks of discomfort alright(Doctor actually described it as blueballs syndrome!LOL)
    Supportive underwear and occasional icing when the discomfort got bad(which wasn't often in fairness) and I was fully recovered and back playing Rugby in @3weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭nicecupotay

For anyone who has had it done,is there any truth in having an increased sex drive afterwards?
    I've heard a few stories of guys being seriously frustrated after having a vasectomy!!
    Also,what kind of price would it be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Sparkyd2002

Had mine done in Cork. rang Dr <modsnip>, booked myself in. Went in at 9am two weeks later (their first available slot) and had it done. Minor discomfort but no major pain really. Was at my desk in work for 10am. Wouldnt hesitate to recommend it.

Mod note.

Do not post names of doctors/surgeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭westskipper

Had mine done 6 months ago. small incision with single stitch on either side. A lot of Bruising for about 3 weeks, but not really sore as such. Back in work after weekend. Funny sensation in the nuts for about 2 weeks afterwards, like a light cramp, but after a month or so i forgot i ever had it done. All completely normal now, no after effects at all. Unprotected sex is so much more fun with the missus, no accidents or scares about pregnancy any more :D If youre certain you already have enough kids and dont want any more, or are getting a bit too old for more babies, then definitely get it done, no question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Had mine done 6 months ago. small incision with single stitch on either side. A lot of Bruising for about 3 weeks, but not really sore as such. Back in work after weekend. Funny sensation in the nuts for about 2 weeks afterwards, like a light cramp, but after a month or so i forgot i ever had it done. All completely normal now, no after effects at all. Unprotected sex is so much more fun with the missus, no accidents or scares about pregnancy any more :D If youre certain you already have enough kids and dont want any more, or are getting a bit too old for more babies, then definitely get it done, no question.

how much did it cost ?

irishh_bob wrote: »
    how much did it cost ?

Cost approx 450 euro. not covered by health insurance normally

PM me if you want details of the clinic i attended in North Co Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Get it done on a Friday afternoon and then just take to the couch for the weekend. By Monday you will be good to go. Packets of frozen peas work great to relieve pain and swelling.

Highly recommend it if you are 100% positive that you do not want any more kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭nicecupotay

Cost approx 450 euro.

Not too bad,thought it would cost a lot more.
    But does it affect the sex drive in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

But does it affect the sex drive in any way?
    No. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    No. :)

not mine anyway :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

irishh_bob wrote: »

1. do you need a referal from your GP in order to arrange to have oneLive in N. Ire, i went to GP. he referred me to Hospital were some nice Doctor felt my balls for some reason. Few months later got app to get it done. I had no problems and i was back at work next day. Not the same for all i suppo

• Registered Users Posts: 23 conorby

Done today, feels like a big kick in the nether regions. Hopefully will wear off over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

conorby wrote: »
    Done today, feels like a big kick in the nether regions. Hopefully will wear off over the weekend.

well done. Take it easy all weekend and you will be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

MadsL wrote: »
    Can't believe the "real man" comments here. He's taking about a vasectomy not fking castration!!

...and it's reversable!

Most unwise to get a vasectomy and think its reversible - undoing a vasectomy is expensive , not many surgeons are willing to do it and the sucess rate is not near 100% ( scar tissue , etc can prevent a sucessful reversal ).
    Consider it permanent .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I had mine under general last august and after 6 weeks I went back for my follow up appointment to be told they removed blood vessel instead of vas! I had to get it done again in fen under general and thankfully this time was a success. I got the all clear a couple of weeks back.

I'm hoping for a decreased sex drive as a side affect. Genuinely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

6th wrote: »

:confused:

Trial and error, or are you basing your hope on anything scientific?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    6th wrote: »

:confused:

Trial and error, or are you basing your hope on anything scientific?

I read it as a possible side affect.

Advertisement