Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth Hill Climb

• 03-03-2011 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭

Did my first hill climb TT of the year up Howth (sutton side) this evening.

12m51 for an average speed of 17.8 kph. This with the bike (and me) in winter configuration...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Is it time for another boards hill climb?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Wud be good to hav one early in d yr alright to gauge progress in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Why? 'cos yis all reckon ye'll do better than me?...

Sure why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

The air is colder so even if you put out the same power at the same weight as last summer you will be slower.

Pfft. Colder means denser which means you can get more oxygen into your lungs with each breath so I should be able to put out more power...

Then again, colder means denser which means more drag but I'd have to be moving at speed for that to matter...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I rode the Howth TT 3 times this week

Tues 9.05
    Wed 10.01
    Thurs 9.35

Same bike,and more or less same weather!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭shamalam

where do you start timing from on the sutton side and if going from village end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There's a mark on the road opposite the graveyard entrance, right beside the gate to Howth Celtic which is commonly used. From Howth village, the start is probably the turn at McGuirk's golf shop at the end of the promenade.

Start point from sutton end is an extremely faint while line at the edge of the road just at the entrance to a GAA pitch opposite the school / cemetary. End point is the wall carrying the "Irish Times" sign.

dunno about the village end.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭shamalam

thanks guys for the prompt replies.
    must give it a lash .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

shamalam wrote: »
    where do you start timing from on the sutton side and if going from village end.
    Here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

shamalam wrote: »

I think that is one of the most asked questions on this forum ;)

8.14 yesterday first of year. CAme back up by Church. One section there is 16%. I dread to think what riding that for a few 100m is like unless on a triple ring.

Amjon - are skin suits good? Your only one iv seen wearing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

8.14 yesterday first of year. CAme back up by Church. One section there is 16%. I dread to think what riding that for a few 100m is like unless on a triple ring.

Amjon - are skin suits good? Your only one iv seen wearing one.

Thats a good time. Skin suits on a fastish hill climb like Howth are marginal at best. Pretty good at making you look like a complete nob tho:pac:

ah its poor compared to your time in fairness. well just have to keep training and bring down that time gradually.

it does look a bit funkyzeit alrite. saw a nice pearl izumi one online though. not too expensive. about €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Just to highlight the difference the wind makes on this. I spun up at about 85-90% last night and this morning (my first 2 spins up it of the year). 10.26 last night and 9.32 today. Last night the wind was from a southerly direction, today its northerly

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Just to highlight the difference the wind makes on this. I spun up at about 85-90% last night and this morning (my first 2 spins up it of the year). 10.26 last night and 9.32 today. Last night the wind was from a southerly direction, today its northerly

Glad to hear that. I went up it last night and was disappointed with my time.

First ever sub 9 this evening (8.58), couldnt break it all last summer but done in my first proper TT effort at it tonight:) 145km in the legs from the previous 2 days too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Which side exactly are you doing it from kenny? Thanks.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Which side exactly are you doing it from kenny? Thanks.
    The side being talked about is the sutton side, there is a link to the start earlier in the thread. The howth side is steeper but much shorter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Tommyadams

I beat one of you lycra clad power rangers to the summit this evening! (was on my old XC) Have to admit it felt pretty good (i'm assuming he was a typical roadie ie: too clean and too opinionated)

kennyb3 wrote: »
    First ever sub 9 this evening (8.58), couldnt break it all last summer but done in my first proper TT effort at it tonight:) 145km in the legs from the previous 2 days too.

Thats my best ever time too,did it last week!!:)

Tommyadams wrote: »
    I beat one of you lycra clad power rangers to the summit this evening! (was on my old XC) Have to admit it felt pretty good (i'm assuming he was a typical roadie ie: too clean and too opinionated)

Thats a bit hard on the roadie.I often pass roadies on my MTB when travelling back to Stepaside after 2 hours around Djouce/Powerscourt.But to be honest,these lads are'nt hard core road racers,more the WW 200 kind.We all know there's no way a fit mountainbiker on a Mtb will keep up with a fit roadie on a roadbike.When on my roadbike Ive never been passed by a lad on a MTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Tommyadams wrote: »

Congratulations on performing a successful overtaking manoeuvre on your bicycle!

Please post every time this happens. The internet needs to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Tommyadams is officially the world's greatest cyclist.

What opinions did this opinionated roadie share?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK guys, back on topic please

@Tommyadams - don't come on here trying to wind up other posters, otherwise you will get yourself infracted and/or banned

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

rolling or standing start???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Lycra clad power ranger...that would be so cool.

Whenever/If I ever pass someone on a climb again, I'm shouting:

"It's morphin' time!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

rolling or standing start???

Standing start, preferably with no-one to hold you*.

*You can write a power ballad about it if you want;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Tommyadams

Tommyadams is officially the world's greatest cyclist.

I've always suspected but now that it's official I can finally put it on the ol' business card!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement