Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red, sore lips

• 29-08-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

Can't find a general "Health" section in this magnitude of boards.ie so Men's Health will do!

On and off I keep getting red and sore lips, it looks rubbish and can be, well, sore and annoying.

Sometimes they dry out and I'm tempted to lick them (which is supposed to be a BAD idea). Mostly they're just red and sore. Chapsticks like Burts Bee's don't seem to help or I really don't use them enough.

In general I have a good diet of vegetables and fruit and I tend to go for healthy meats and fish - tuna, salmon, chicken breast etc. In the last few months I have developed a great habit of getting my 2 litres minimum a day of water so dehydration shouldn't be the issue.

I haven't a clue what's causing this, anybody with any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Do you suffer from sinus problems, use nasal spray by any chance?
    I'm currently experiencing similar symptoms. It's from spilling some of the liquid onto the lips.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sometimes they dry out and I'm tempted to lick them (which is supposed to be a BAD idea).
    I like my lips all the time. On the rare occasion on a ice cold day they may crack, but I'd just lick them better. Never knew it could be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Human saliva has natural disinfectant in it. Those chapsticks however are designed to dry out your skin in the long run so you'll use/by more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

My brother suffers from the same thing fairly regularly. He uses Blisteze for a couple of days and it seems to clear it up. I've no idea if it'd work for everyone though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

what kind of toothpaste do you use?

i notice some types make my lips really really dry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

Galvasean wrote: »
    Do you suffer from sinus problems, use nasal spray by any chance?
    I'm currently experiencing similar symptoms. It's from spilling some of the liquid onto the lips.

More towards the Winter I may have to use one, but at the moment no.
    Human saliva has natural disinfectant in it. Those chapsticks however are designed to dry out your skin in the long run so you'll use/by more.

The problem with saliva is that it's a natural enzyme and actually harms the lips. Or so I constantly read. I stick with wax based chapsticks as they're supposed to be pretty decent on the lips. The Petroleum / petrolatum types are supposed to be a no no so I don't touch them. Then again there's always 100 ****ing opinions.
    EMF2010 wrote: »
    My brother suffers from the same thing fairly regularly. He uses Blisteze for a couple of days and it seems to clear it up. I've no idea if it'd work for everyone though!

My big problem is never using them for long enough, usually they give a little relief straight off but then my lips dry out a little which I assume is not supposed to happen (but to be fair that could be natural removal of old dead skin, maybe it's actually good - it never hurts when they dry out like that) and then I stop using them. I'll try out my Burts Bee's for a few days rather than just a day!
    sea_monkey wrote: »
    what kind of toothpaste do you use? i notice some types make my lips really really dry

El cheapo Lidl stuff (Dentalux), but to be fair I used it throughout a good period as well so I'm not sure. Actually to be fair, I recently started using one with Whitening bull**** and maybe thats the difference. Hmmmm....

By the way, thanks a mill for all the quick replies. It's great getting "grassroots" advice from those who go through it. A doctor is a possibility but @ 65 lids, he's an expensive possiblity.

One other thing, I had a Hep A injection last week. From what I read it should either floor me with sickness OR I should be absolutely fine. But maybe it's a contributor... Ok, obviously we're getting into diagnosis and med advice here so reign me in when needed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

The problem with saliva is that it's a natural enzyme and actually harms the lips. Or so I constantly read. I stick with wax based chapsticks as they're supposed to be pretty decent on the lips. The Petroleum / petrolatum types are supposed to be a no no so I don't touch them. Then again there's always 100 ****ing opinions.
    The thing about saliva being a natural enzyme is that it is a combination of different substances, the enzyme being Salivary Amylase, which is there to begin the breakdown of carbohydrates so I'm not quite sure about it damaging the lips.

This sort of drying of the lips happens to most of us at some stage during the year regardless of diet/weather conditions...it only happened to me last week and they were back to normal after 2 days. I'm just gonna put it down to "one of those things".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

This is true of petroleum based ones, they give short term relief but make the issue worse long term. You can buy beeswax based balms that really work long term and are very soothing short term, but beware if they contain petroleum jelly as well.

Cocoa butter ones are supposed to be good, like this one. And remember your lips can be sensitive to the sun which might be the cause of your dryness, so one like this with an spf might help.

http://www.superdrug.com/Lip-Balm/PALMERS-COCOA-BUTTER-LIP-BALM-4G/invt/379131

This sort of drying of the lips happens to most of us at some stage during the year regardless of diet/weather conditions...it only happened to me last week and they were back to normal after 2 days. I'm just gonna put it down to "one of those things".

It's been so on and off for me throughout the year and it's around this year that it started so there's a good chance I'm deficient in something, allergic to something or doing something stupid. For about 3 weeks recently my lips cleared up and what a difference in pain and appearance. So when it comes back it makes me pissed off! I know it can be ok, I've just gotta stop doing something or start doing something else.

• Advertisement

Today I applied Burts Bee's throughout the day, about 4 or 5 times - basically each time it dried out. My lips stayed cool and didn't hurt and the swelling went down, there's still a little redness but there's a good chance they'll look a lot better tomorrow and I'll go with it for another day or so. This stuff works well. As usual I kept well hydrated throughout the day, 4 pints of water minimum and a good lot of fruits and veg.

My biggest problem in the past was not using enough Burts Bee's. My lips would get bad, I'd apply a little and they'd improve a little and then I'd stop! I'll keep it going until they look normal again.

In regards saliva, I should be clearer about what I read. The overall story is, licking your lips (when they're sore) is not a good idea according to below and elsewhere. The enzyme in saliva can irritate causing more licking (and it's definitely true that you lick them when it's sore) and when the saliva evaporates it can take the moisture with it making the overall problem worse.

If I think it through, when my lips are ok (as they partially are at the minute) I don't feel the need to lick them anyway, hence I don't do much damage. When they are bad I DO, and it does worsen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapped_lips#Treatments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Don't laugh but..........if you run your finger behind your ear you will get your natural oils on your finger and then put them on your lips....it works...really!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I recommend Carmex lip balm. It's pretty cheap, between 3 and 4 euro and does the trick for me anyway and I've probably tried every lip balm under the sun! :)

I had to come back and let all know how I got on. Carmex is just about the only thing that works for me so to those who recommended it at the time, kudo's. I ignored your advice at the time but twas wrong.

This frosty weather really fudged up my lips a few days ago, severe cracking, redness, swelling, pain - wasn't nice at all. I splashed them with water a few times and the instant relief was great but the repercussions we're enormous, it kept getting worse.

I put Carmex on one night and everything was improved the next day. I also kept applying small amounts of it through the next day and they we're actually healing! Yes, healing. That never actually happened before - I know they're getting better when they're more pink rather than red, they're smaller in size and I don't feel them anymore.

I was wrong in what I was saying about Burts Bee's (for me anyway). It never actually healed, just gave cooling relief. Carmex has actually healed them to a great degree. The real test is the weather ahead. It's about 2 degrees at the moment.

Cheers for all the advice, your a good bunch!

mfceiling wrote: »
    Don't laugh but..........if you run your finger behind your ear you will get your natural oils on your finger and then put them on your lips....it works...really!!
    Hey, the oils off my nose worked as well. Only problem was I'd use it up pretty quick. Never thought of behind my ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Carmex is by far the best.

You're sure it's not just the cold weather? Mine have been getting a bit dry and cracked from it, myself.
    I use vaseline on them and it seems to do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I've found that Vaseline works for everything (dry skin related!)!! But yeah, carmex is probably the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Its just the cold weater. Labello or savlon work very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 thankswhore

i use the nivea for men lip balm because it doesnt make your lips shine like a pair of varnished seaslugs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

A relation of mine rubs e45 cream(the one you use on your hands and stuff) on his lips. He swears by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I was just going to mention the E45 chapstick thingy, does the job, although it doesn't feel as waxy as the normal ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭DS333

I find Vaseline is the best. I use it 4 or 5 times a day. All the others dry my lips out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I've had dry sore lips frequently ever since I was on Roaccutane a couple of years ago. Never had the problem before that, but now can't get rid of it.

I use Vaseline. I find the green one (the one with Aloe Vera) better than the normal one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Had a similar problem earlier in the year. It got so bad I ended up going to a dermatologist. He said that some people can be allergic to some of the ingredients in things like Carmex. I had tried that and it didn't work. He suggested putting water on lips and use Vaseline and it worked. It wasn't the only thing, he did prescribe a mild hydrocortisone as it so bad. But all in all, Vaseline is the best and the cheapest.

By the way, don't lick your lips, just makes in worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Leelaa22

Novella wrote: »
    I recommend Carmex lip balm. It's pretty cheap, between 3 and 4 euro and does the trick for me anyway and I've probably tried every lip balm under the sun! :)

Ive a friend who swears by that stuff too. where I can some?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

dry lips is an early sign of dehydration too, you may just not be drinking enough water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I find that any chapstick/Vaseline/Blistex will work as long as you apply it regulalry enough. Keeping a layer of stuff on to keep drying air off, while the lip heals underneath is what works for me.

Cheers for all the replies, although I haven't been receiving any notifications and the topic doesn't appear in my CP - odd! I decided I'd pop by anyway.

Some extra stuff to mention, the Carmex has been up and down. The fact is I could get wedded to it, I used it for a while and it kind of helped but as soon as I'm out in the cold and I have no Carmex on it all comes back. It didn't truly heal the lips either even when I was slopping it on a couple of times a day and a big blob at night.

Maybe it's just pure weather but I'm beginning to believe my lips are weak or something else is happening, like nutritional deficiency.

I've really increased my water intake getting at the very least 2 litres a day (maybe the odd bad day), given up caffeine, cut out crap, eating a lot more fruit, veg, salads, nuts and so on. I'm thinking of taking it to the doctor and get a blood test or something done because I'm not exactly feeling myself at the mo.

Weirdly, whenever I eat steak they improve quite a bit!

• Advertisement

I've had dry sore lips frequently ever since I was on Roaccutane a couple of years ago. Never had the problem before that, but now can't get rid of it.

I use Vaseline. I find the green one (the one with Aloe Vera) better than the normal one.

I think I might be in your boat, I think my problem coincides with the decision 2 years ago to change my diet for the better and start exercising. That's the only difference I can think of.

Advertisement