Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Hip Hop Moderator

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

In fairness if ever anything is reported aquila responds to it, that's what he's here for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I found the appointment strange at the beginning and I find it even more so now because Aquila clearly doesn't have that much of an interest. On all the forums i post on the mods are regulars and build a kind of relationship with the posters as most of us do (just in terms of getting an idea of what we like etc in terms of the forum)

Basically what looks to have happened here imo is malice just hired an enforcer, a terminator if you will :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Okay, in the interest of a certain amount of transparency I'll respond to the points raised.
    Basically what looks to have happened here imo is malice just hired an enforcer, a terminator if you will :D
    Aquila's appointment wasn't solely down to me at all. It was done, as all mod appointments are, in consultation with the existing forum moderators and the admins.
    I found the appointment strange at the beginning and I find it even more so now because Aquila clearly doesn't have that much of an interest. On all the forums i post on the mods are regulars and build a kind of relationship with the posters as most of us do (just in terms of getting an idea of what we like etc in terms of the forum)
    Why does someone have to have an interest in forums they moderate? Sure it helps but in terms of keeping the peace and moving or locking threads as necessary it's hardly a requirement is it?
    an existing member should of got the mod job or a more regular poster.
    To follow on from the above questions, someone being a prolific poster doesn't and shouldn't entitle them to any sort of special benefits should it? If it did then people could just spam loads of YouTube videos or something to boost their postcount without really contributing to any discussions. There is also then the problem of existing members potentially being more lenient towards their forum buddies.

Moderator appointments are not done on a whim and a moderator's visibility or activity shouldn't be used for criticism without a good reason. If the forum was overrun with spam and no one was dealing with it then we'd have a problem. Just because Aquila's not jumping into the "Unpopular Hip Hop Opinions" or "Irish Hip Hop threads" isn't a cause for concern to me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

So far, Aquila's appointment here as my Co-Mod has been sucessful. 100%.

I completely understand why there is some grumblings as he is not active in day to day discussions. But this is actually a benefit in my eyes. And he actively is looking at the forum and we are in contact when something needs to be done.

I'm normally connected to a computer so will probably be first to react to something going on that requires a mod ruling. But there are those times where I am not accessible and Aquila has stepped in seemlessly. I've racked up a fair few air-miles since Aquila's appointment and been in remote areas with no internet access, and Aquila has been there for anything needed. This transperancy of moderation from the general users perspective is a positive and shows that it's working.

And just to echo Malice, the appointment was not an easy process, there was alot of consideration and discussion involved, but ultimately, I believe that we got the right mod at the end of the day.

Aquila's appointment wasn't solely down to me at all. It was done, as all mod appointments are, in consultation with the existing forum moderators and the admins.

ok no problem my bad, i taught it was down to you.
    Why does someone have to have an interest in forums they moderate? Sure it helps but in terms of keeping the peace and moving or locking threads as necessary it's hardly a requirement is it?

it more than helps, someone with knowledge of the situation/posters is more likely to solve it. An enforcer was given the job and tbh things have been very calm of late since his appointment, which is good but the forum isn't as hectic as it use to be so in a way there wasnt much to do.
    To follow on from the above questions, someone being a prolific poster doesn't and shouldn't entitle them to any sort of special benefits should it?

im not saying that but in fairness like i said before there's a few name's here i would of put forward for the job and they would of been a lot better imo. People weren't alerted or given a chance to throw their names in the hat, id hate to be a mod but there's a few here that are active and know the score as they been posting years. Instead it looks to me that more than likely a friend of a friend got it with little or no history of posting here.
    Just because Aquila's not jumping into the "Unpopular Hip Hop Opinions" or "Irish Hip Hop threads" isn't a cause for concern to me.

he's not jumping into any threads or showing any interest in any discussion, thats all im saying.

@boom bap you might look at is a success but like i said there's not much hassle here anymore (which is good) so its been an easy ride. Personally i just think it would be good too see Aquila post more regularly like yourself and actually show an interest instead of acting like a terminator only to appear once in a blue moon.

• Advertisement

and tbh things have been very calm of late since his appointment

That's because pretty soon after he became mod he did his job well and finally banned a certain person who was the main instigator of all the arguing that used to go on here. It's a lot more peaceful around here since then and you only get the odd argument here and there that is sorted pretty quickly if it gets out of hand, I like this forum more without all the arguing that used to happen. Makes for better,more productive discussion but that's just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

I miss the instigator of all the trouble. I miss the fighting. I miss having to post the "popcorn.gif" :(

I got on well with Hugh cream, just clash of a few opinions is all. I'd like too see him return here posting and everyone just move on from previous beefs :D , I don't think he's permnatly banned is he ?

The arguments were entertaining though in fairness, we all had a part to play in them.

I think he's perma-banned yeah, he kinda lost it in the irish hip hop show thread ages ago and was never heard from again lol

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    I think he's perma-banned yeah, he kinda lost it in the irish hip hop show thread ages ago and was never heard from again lol

He was passionate about bad the majority of Irish hip hop is and tbh I agreed with him on it. I'd like too see the ban uplifted if it's for good, I know Hugh posts on the r'n'b forum so I might ask him what the story is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Is it really that big a deal? So one of the moderators doesn't participate that much in the discussions, it doesn't really have any bearing on the discussions the rest of us are having.

Is it really that big a deal? So one of the moderators doesn't participate that much in the discussions, it doesn't really have any bearing on the discussions the rest of us are having.

No big deal just find it odd, I think when no one showed an interest in the eastern European rap he stopped participating in discussion.

I don't think he's permnatly banned is he ?
    Hugh Cream was banned from this forum at his own request so he can be unbanned at his own request any time. All he has to do is ask.
    it more than helps, someone with knowledge of the situation/posters is more likely to solve it. An enforcer was given the job and tbh things have been very calm of late since his appointment, which is good but the forum isn't as hectic as it use to be so in a way there wasnt much to do.
    That's fair enough about local knowledge being useful. I took the opposite viewpoint earlier but it's true that it can go both ways :). As for the forum not requiring much moderation surely that's a good thing? If people aren't acting the twat then users can focus on having good-quality discussions which in turn should result in more people posting. Remember users drive forum discussions far more than moderators.
    im not saying that but in fairness like i said before there's a few name's here i would of put forward for the job and they would of been a lot better imo. People weren't alerted or given a chance to throw their names in the hat, id hate to be a mod but there's a few here that are active and know the score as they been posting years. Instead it looks to me that more than likely a friend of a friend got it with little or no history of posting here.
    On admin instruction moderator appointments are not conducted via people volunteering or friends of friends getting a nod. That may have been true in the past but not any more. There are too many layers to go through where the suitability of a person must be justified.
    he's not jumping into any threads or showing any interest in any discussion, thats all im saying.
    Well in fairness that's not quite all you are saying. You bumped the thread with this:
    It was a joke of an appointment
    and you haven't really elaborated on why you think it was a joke. If Aquila is quiet as a moderator then he doesn't really affect the day-to-day discussions on the forum does he? If that's where the issue is then it's down to the users of the forum to collectively improve the experience isn't it? None of you are children who need their hands held.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

@boom bap you might look at is a success but like i said there's not much hassle here anymore (which is good) so its been an easy ride. Personally i just think it would be good too see Aquila post more regularly like yourself and actually show an interest instead of acting like a terminator only to appear once in a blue moon.

I know that Aquila does have a interest in Polish Hip Hop, but I don't think that gets much discussion time here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I know that Aquila does have a interest in Polish Hip Hop, but I don't think that gets much discussion time here :)

That's because it's probably ACTUALLY hip hop :D

look theres no point in going back and forth anymore. I see it that a mod should have a genuine interest in the forum he mods and should be active every now and again while you dont, lets just leave it.:)

look theres no point in going back and forth anymore. I see it that a mod should have a genuine interest in the forum he mods and should be active every now and again while you dont, lets just leave it.:)
    Well you've a right to air your concerns and we do welcome feedback as we all use Boards differently.

With that said, you're right, I don't see a problem here. Have a look around at other forums you visit. Not all Soccer mods post regularly, not all Pro Evo & FIFA mods post regularly and guess what, not all Call of Duty mods post regularly either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Makaveli wrote: »
    Not likely, but cheers.

...noooooo Mak why you leaving?

Advertisement