Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Chinese are Quick Learners (2013)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Stinicker wrote: »
    Yes, they are overpriced, underspecc'd junk, and every 2nd idiot thinks they are great. Plus I was very nearly killed in one of them because they have such a feather light clutch. You couldn't ask for a worse car imo.

Tbh I think Toyota aren't that bad on price if buying new..it's more in the second hand market that they are expensive as they are quiet popular with Irish buyers. You are right about them being poorly specced but tbh most people buy them for their reliabilty and couldn't care less about what spec they are. Id say most Toyota owners would look at you in bewilderment if you asked them had they a Terra, Strata or Luna spec :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Can't see money being pumped into these projects making up for lost ground. This has happened to many previous manufacturers in the past. It's only now that people are learning how crap from abroad is just that.

Americans are already talking about a fightback. Bringing manufacturing back to the US and making policy more manufactturing friendly.

We shouldn't be admiring these cars. It's European jobs down the tubes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

squod wrote: »

Americans are already talking about a fightback. Bringing manufacturing back to the US and making policy more manufactturing friendly..

Jeybus, American stuff is nearly worse than the stuff from China. Junk. Can't imagine anyone except U.S. politicians looking for a good soundbite are saying that !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Blame the Irish VRT system, not Toyota, who, despite a few high profile recalls, have consistently put out reliable and safe motoring, if a bit bland.
    This is what drives the "Paddy spec" cars. Put too many extras on the car that you were planning to market in the €30k space and the Irish government will push it towards the €40k space, where it might not sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Jeybus, American stuff is nearly worse than the stuff from China. Junk. Can't imagine anyone except U.S. politicians looking for a good soundbite are saying that !

But shure fords, VW/oowdis, hyundai have one world platforms. They can make them anywhere. Global market, global platforms, global manufacturing systems. They can go anywhere.

Time to ditch the past. Out sourcing is so last year. T'morrow is about proper management. Not some idiots dream of making cheap sh1te in China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....even if it was - and I don't agree btw - at least they're not using one-stop-short-of-indentured/servitude-labour.

Or should that read 'labor' ? :p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Id say most Toyota owners would look at you in bewilderment if you asked them had they a Terra, Strata or Luna spec :pac:
    That's not bewilderment, its apathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭SeanW

I wouldn't drive Chinese rubbish if you paid me!

More from the Qoros people, this time with a tourer and a cross over/ suv thingy.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/113021553862/qoros-3-sedan-cross-hybrid-concept-and-estate-concept

8405132921084631085.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Looks like they are cloning the likes of Kia / Hyundai

Yuk :D

But plenty of people seem to buy that sh1te from Korea these days, those same people will be buying Chinese sh1te in 10 years time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

galwaytt wrote: »

....even if it was - and I don't agree btw - at least they're not using one-stop-short-of-indentured/servitude-labour.

Or should that read 'labor' ? :p
    What are you talking about. i know people who work in a car building plant in china and they are on good money reletivly speaking. wages in china are on the up at the moment. the reason alot of foreign companies are relocating to india.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

the_syco wrote: »
    Which is great for families that have kids; less chance of accidental chockage.

Do all cars not have auto reverse these days? Was around 18 years ago!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl8oA7aE9s0

unkel wrote: »
    Looks like they are cloning the likes of Kia / Hyundai

Yuk :D

But plenty of people seem to buy that sh1te from Korea these days, those same people will be buying Chinese sh1te in 10 years time...
    There's nothing sh1te about korean stuff these days tbh.

There's nothing sh1te about korean stuff these days tbh.

You'll probably enjoy owning a Qoros too in a few years time :p

You'll probably enjoy owning a Qoros too in a few years time :p
    Why is that?

Why is that?

Because despite the argument about Korean stuff being good these days (which it is, Infact it was always on par reliability wise with mainstream stuff) fact still remains that most of the cars are characterless milk sop. This stuff from China looks the very same which is probably the very reason it would sell.

Because despite the argument about Korean stuff being good these days (which it is, Infact it was always on par reliability wise with mainstream stuff) fact still remains that most of the cars are characterless milk sop. This stuff from China looks the very same which is probably the very reason it would sell.
    I agree, they are characterless but so were other very well built cars like Toyotas of the late 90's and so on.

Apart from that though they are imo very good and are legues ahead of the bargain basement cars they made years ago. They are now on par with many better known brands in terms of quality and design and have surpassed some in reliability.

Hyundai and Kias of today or infact any car cannot be compared to a chinese car we know nothing about. For all we know they could have brilliant build quality and decent reliability, and who knows! maybe behind the styling there might be a bit of character somewhere :p

I agree, they are characterless but so were other very well built cars like Toyotas of the late 90's and so on.

My point exactly. Toyotas started to do very well for the buyers completely and utterly dis-interested in cars in the 90's, Kias in the 00's, and no doubt Qoros in the 10's :D

My point exactly. Toyotas started to do very well for the buyers completely and utterly dis-interested in cars in the 90's, Kias in the 00's, and no doubt Qoros in the 10's :D
    Ok fair point:p most people dis-interested in cars do buy cars like that, but im intested in cars and like Toyotas of the late 90's and so on. Not for their bland looks or characterless drive but for their sheer quality and mechanical simplicity. Each to their own I suppose:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I'd be interesting in hearing about the engine and safety ratings (non-Chinese safety ratings). Two areas they don't seem to be able to crack as of yet, I'd have a feeling though as cheap plastic interiors go this will probably win a prize.

• Advertisement

Viper_JB wrote: »
    I'd be interesting in hearing about the engine and safety ratings (non-Chinese safety ratings). Two areas they don't seem to be able to crack as of yet, I'd have a feeling though as cheap plastic interiors go this will probably win a prize.

Back from the dead:D

But now that you've asked ....

http://www.carsafetyrules.com/qoros-3-review-china-produces-small-family-car-rivals-premium-brands-safety/0925/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Wow, a high 5* rating.
    The car scored 95% for adult occupant, 87% for child protection and 77% for pedestrian protection - See more at: http://www.carsafetyrules.com/qoros-3-review-china-produces-small-family-car-rivals-premium-brands-safety/0925/#sthash.cqojf9Rh.dpuf

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

A Chinese car (Qoros 3) has just been awarded 5 stars by Euro NCAP.

This is the link:
    http://www.euroncap.com/results/qoros/3/528.aspx

I assume someone here will take up the franchise, at some stage.

Excerpt from another website:

"The Qoros 3 just scored a five-star crash safety rating in the Euro NCAP test. Even more shockingly, the car achieved the highest overall performance of all vehicles assessed so far in 2013, making it one of the safest vehicles ever tested by the Europeans.

It's hard to see this as anything other than a huge win for both Qoros, a new and upcoming automaker, as well as Chinese cars in general. Just a few years ago, their safety and quality ratings were considered laughable by Western standards. When Brilliance tried to export their B6 sedan in 2007, it scored only one star in a German test. Now we have a Chinese car that ranked among the best tested in Europe this year."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

I wonder where they got the tyres from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

There's a motor stand at the ploughing called "Great Wall" never heard of them but they have a wagon very similar to the Navarro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

I wouldn't say the Chinese are quick learners more like poor imitators.
    But getting 5 stars is a first

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

visual wrote: »

That's a pretty dim understanding of global manufacturing you have there; not to worry though you'll become informed in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

visual wrote: »
    Tbh mate, they were/are but they're also already manufacturing everything we use. They've been creating crap quality stuff for bottom prices a long time but they have the know how to make really good products too.
    Slowly but surely I think we'll see more and more quality stuff coming out from there. Or one can at least hope.

About Great Wall cars
    http://galwayindependent.com/20130717/motoring/irelands-first-chinese-car-brand-wraps-up-finance-deal-S21222.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

That's a pretty dim understanding of global manufacturing you have there; not to worry though you'll become informed in time.

Any idiot can copy and in manufacturing that is all it iis.then cut every corner until its cheap and nasty and a profit can be made.

But I doubt you would know anthing about quality or durability.

And you can talk all you want about iphone made there all you want

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

But I imagine the finish on the inside is ****. Having visited china, corners are cut on everything. Even a luxury hotel uses cheap western copies.

But cars are mainly sold on the image a brand convoys eg luxury. It will be very difficult to sell Chinese cars to the Europeans and not a hope selling these to the Americans.

Advertisement