Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NIR 80 class preservation

• 26-02-2012 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

http://www.modernrsi.webs.com/

It would seem that a NIR 80 class railcar might escape the cutter's torch after all, have to say fair play to the MRSI for being willing to fund the transportation costs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

they appear to have stolen the MRSI acronym from the model railway society of Ireland, nice of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Whilst railcars/dmu's aren't my cup of tea,the 80's are the exception due to their stint on the Maynooth & Greystones services in the early 90's. Travelled frequently on them and their unique thumping could be heard from a considerable distance away.

IE80Class.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The GSRPS "Relief of Navan" railtour on the 30th April 1988 is my most enjoyable memory of the 80 class. Full catering too! :D

Relief-of-Navan-2.bmp.jpg?et=PXlQomE32PbDo92%2BORE7cQ&nmid=139019637
    Tour pauses at Duleek © Hassard Stacpoole

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

How did they mount the headboard JD? I only see one lamp bracket on the drivers side of the front of the unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

lord lucan wrote: »
    How did they mount the headboard JD? I only see one lamp bracket on the drivers side of the front of the unit.

You have me there - but I remember the late Brian Greene had a struggle using a very large bayonet and some wire when putting it on in Connolly. Several people were foolish enough to offer him advice......the headboard still exists at Dromod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

The Nordies seem to love going for 'noisy' when it comes to their railcars... even the 3000s have a pretty loud 'zoom' off them when departing compared to the 29000s (both CAF products). Travelled on a 80 a few times, first time was out to Cultra... the seating itself seemed fine but was never a fan of the little tables shelves they had with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Apparently, Downpatrick wish to acquire 90, 94, 752, and 749. I am a little surprised as I think that 69 is in far better condition than 90 and 94 based on my experiences with them heading up the Larne line in the period prior to their withdrawal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Hungerford wrote: »
    Apparently, Downpatrick wish to acquire 90, 94, 752, and 749. I am a little surprised as I think that 69 is in far better condition than 90 and 94 based on my experiences with them heading up the Larne line in the period prior to their withdrawal.

While I don’t know the criteria they used to select the units it may be the case that the units selected were in better mechanical condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

It is interesting to see a society interested in the contemporary railway scene in Ireland. Anyone on boards a member or have any general info about this grouping that they would like to share ?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

It is interesting to see a society interested in the contemporary railway scene in Ireland. Anyone on boards a member or have any general info about this grouping that they would like to share ?

Primarily based in the North, similar aims as the IRRS down here. And in best Norn Iron tradition, half of them are called Ian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cyberbeagle

Hi all,

A couple of years ago there was a flurry of activity about saving an 80 Class on these pages.

It's actually happening now!

None of the old threads are still active, so starting a new one!

And after a lot of negotiation we've arranged with Translink to get two vehicles repainted - just in time before all the paint booths are taken up by the 3000 Class.

But it and transport is not cheap so we need YOUR help - felt someone should do "something" back in the day? Now you can! Donate here and have a stake in their restoration and return to passenger service at DCDR.

www.downrail.co.uk/80class

And follow the progress on our facebook page:

www.facebook.com/downrail

Advertisement