Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spam from the Revenue

• 29-07-2014 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

Just to make the board aware and to forewarn its members, I received a spam text yesterday proporting to be from REVENUE.

The body of the text said

"Your tax refund is being prepared for payment. Please visit irishtxonline.com and enter you specially assigned ITC Key: 2814 to complete the online process"

When following the link, the website looks to be very similar to the Revenue website motif - however none of the links at the top of the page work.

The first screen after entering the pin asks for your name and PPS number.

I didn't go past this screen but I imagine the next will have asked me to confirm my bank account details.

I had applied for a personal tax refund the day before. I have read that this could be a blanket text sent to people registered for ROS (which I was a number of years ago but not any more). So, either it is just coincidental that I had applied for a tax refund the day before or the spammers somehow know when people have applied for a tax refund and then follow up with a spamming text message.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

It's just spam it's coincidence that you had applied for a tax refund. Like most spam some of the recipients will have ordered from Amazon or be in correspondence with the revenue or their bank etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 herewego

Just received the exact same message today, I also recently applied for a tax refund. Hopefully FSL is right and it is just coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Its a scam. Don't do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

herewego wrote: »
    Just received the exact same message today, I also recently applied for a tax refund. Hopefully FSL is right and it is just coincidence.
    OP on his own, a coincidence, you aswell...hmm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Website is gone anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KILDARE.MAN

Hello Guys I got that Same Message on the 8TH of September not to long after I had got Tax Back. I just Came on here to See what was Involved as I taught it Strange after getting Tax Back and Then getting This Message that Says go to Irishtxonline.com and enter ITC Key 2814.. **** have Evey Scam going.

Advertisement