Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the blue book

• 09-09-2008 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭

what ye make of this article?

onday September 08 2008

So the big, stark patriarch with the flushed complexion delivered history. The temperance folk would have Kilkenny banned on the basis that excess is corrupting. But Brian Cody remains such an emblem of uncomplicated desire, it's hard to be aggrieved when his striped wonders start piling the silver high.

You could feel disappointed for Waterford yesterday, without begrudging Cody a single second of this day in the sun.

His management of perhaps the greatest hurling team ever seen has long been rooted in simple, understated delivery. He leads with a quiet ferocity that we like to tart up in mystery. We want him to be profound, even if he never feels that way.

And, so, he looks at us from under those slender eye-brows, his hard mouth pinched in quizzical discomfort.

Cody rations his animation to a once a year ignition, that giddy, self-conscious sideline dance once Liam McCarthy is secured. For the remainder, he is unreadable as stone.

He laughs at the idea of genius in what he does. To him, management is no more than housekeeping. Brian Cody loves hurling and the heroism it deposits into otherwise plain lives. That is the beginning and end of his story.

Cody is the great, surviving constant of a practice getting more layered and nuanced by the season. He is old-style, a one-man rebuke to the management by numbers impulse that seems so increasingly de rigeur.

You look at some county teams today and everything they do is so trussed up in theory and philosophy, it's little wonder that their thought processes seem robotic.

Dublin footballers reside in a claustrophobic world and, increasingly, they look spooked by that world. The search for an edge has carried them into easily lampooned territory, the choreographed march to the hill, the arm-linking intimacy of the backroom, the practiced hostility to media.

In a sense, the harder Dublin tried to distance themselves from others, the more fragile they became.

Somewhere within the camp, a lust for mind bending overtook the plain demands of preparing young men for hard football games. Mental preparation morphed into dangerous psycho-babble.

This year, Dublin came up with the 'Blue Book'. You won't have seen one because it came with pretty stark 'rules of engagement.'

Holders had to (literally) sign up to a creed. And rule four of that creed declared: 'I will not show or admit to the existence of THE BLUE BOOK to any other person except another Blue Book holder.'

It didn't quite promote the cyanide pill solution to interrogation, but this was loopy stuff. A constitution written in Branch Davidian language.

The Blue Book was constructed in diary form, running from January to September. Every month carried an assembly of quotations, each page topped with the line 'Dublin, All-Ireland Champions 2008'. Page One demanded that the holder sign up to the seven-point creed, which had to be then counter-signed by a 'witness.'

And point number five of that creed declared that the holder would accept 'any disciplinary measures including withdrawal of MY BLUE BOOK, should I not apply myself as a BLUE BOOK HOLDER is expected to.'

The line between constructive motivation and oppressive thought control wasn't so much blurred as obliterated.

Thirty eight years after his death, Vince Lombardi's little wisdoms exist as such pet tools for lazy GAA psychology, he ought to be claiming Irish royalties from the grave. Lombardi's wall mottos have become clichéd through over-use. They need to be de-commissioned.

The Blue Book is -- naturally -- speckled with his words, but it's the company Lombardi keeps that leaves the starkest imprint.

The profundities of Bruce Lee, General George Patton, Confucius, Arnold Schwarzeneggar, Isaac Newton, Churchill, JFK, Gandhi are all invoked within as a kind of booklet-form mission statement for the modern Dub.

Page after bullet-point page itemises the specifics of preparation. Players are invited to fill in 'Game Reports'. Everything is segmented, broken down. Confidence. Success. Feedback. Mental Preparation.

The Blue Book seems intent on shining a light on every mental shadow.

The Feedback section proposes ignoring media as 'publicity is like poison, it only kills you if you swallow it.' It celebrates Omagh '06 as a day 'we crossed the line together as a Dublin squad hasn't done in years.' It lists being 'more cynical' among the positives.

Sometimes the attempted air of gravitas is lost in a curious lurch of language, as in the declaration that 'some of the people making these judgements are the ones that had us as sh*** from the start.'

Reading the Blue Book, you get a sense of lost perspective. Of an attempt to intellectualise the pursuit of All-Ireland glory when the obligation should surely be to simplify, to rinse away all vain threads of mythology.

Watching the great, looping carriage of Brian Cody cross another mountain-top yesterday, you could see he had reality pegged like few others in the great, soaring horse-shoe of Croke Park.

It wasn't just the glow of achievement that drew his people to him. It was the quiet, knowing carriage. The sense of an uncomplicated man enjoying an uncomplicated moment.

Nothing quite became him like the simplicity of his pleasure.

- Vincent Hogan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

my god, that is unbelievable. i thought the march to the hill palaver was ridiculous, but this brings it to a new low. psycho-babble at its worst.

wonder who squealed??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

yeah, i got yesterdays indo and read this. i am frankly appalled. whoever came up with this ****e, and lets face it its so much like a garda handbook to look very ****ing far, needs to be laughed and giggled at.

really......... you couldnt make this up, its like the things we did in 4th class, no smelly girls club.

We honestly deserve every bit of ridicule we get for this.

wonder who the mole is????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Woeful! Please don't tell me that any team could take such s**** seriously?? And BTW am I the only one who thinks whatever nutty sports psychologist "dreamt" this one up was taking a leaf from the IRA's Green Book or Chairman Mao's Little Red Book or maybe Colin Farrell's Little Black Book... BS indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

I have to ask the question but does everybody believe what they read in the papers?It could be BS.Then again,if it is true,it is one thing the Dublin management and team should be embarassed of.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,274 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Woeful! Please don't tell me that any team could take such s**** seriously?? And BTW am I the only one who thinks whatever nutty sports psychologist "dreamt" this one up was taking a leaf from the IRA's Green Book or Chairman Mao's Little Red Book or maybe Colin Farrell's Little Black Book... BS indeed!

Agreed, very Green Book, but it doesn't exist! ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I read this monday, was hoping nobody else saw it and would bring it up. This is the most shameful thing i have heard of a team doing.

This is worse then the walking to the hill arm in arm which was Embarrassing enough, the leinster final speech "i want to thank all our fans on the hill" what to f*ck what about all the fans else where in croke park! Or the dubs fans in other countries spending money to watch the match too?!!

Please tell me this is just a pile of stinking steaming sh*te. This is as twice ive had to hold my head in my hands with shame this year supporting the dubs (1 being Tyrone)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

blackbelt wrote: »
    I have to ask the question but does everybody believe what they read in the papers?It could be BS.Then again,if it is true,it is one thing the Dublin management and team should be embarassed of.

Depends on what paper you read it in but Vincent Hogan is one of the more respected journo's in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Page 72 of the Indo today - "Opening Up The Secret Bluebook".

2-page spread by Martin Breheny.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/opening-up-the-secret-blue-book-1472842.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭patmac

I heard this on Newstalk this morning and I couldn't believe it, no point in slagging Dublin fans about it as nothing that could be said would embarass them any more than they are embarrassed at the moment. The BS look apparently is the Zoolander Blue Steel look :http://www.wikihow.com/Do-the-%22Blue-Steel%22-Pose-from-Zoolander .
    It really is Dublin's anus horibullus starting with the Meath row, losing to Westmeath in Div 2 Final the Colie Moran incident, a brief respite with the Leinster Championship and then the nightmare with Tyrone fans leaving early etc, I genuinely feel sorry for the Dublin boardsies here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

It definitely is taking the whole thing too far. I'd be all for some words of encouragement on the dressing room wall, or positive thinking or whatever, but it was 52 pages ffs. I could see some of the Dublin players being embarrassed at this when they got their book.

Couple of things though. However bad it is, it should have stayed within their ranks and it certainly looks like Breheny has seen the whole thing. Whoever ratted must have a gripe with management.

Also, if it worked and then was announced, you'd probably find every team in the country would have one next year.

Still hard on the Dubs after the year that was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

careca wrote: »
    Also, if it worked and then was announced, you'd probably find every team in the country would have one next year.

I seriously feckin doubt it could you imagine Brian Cody doin this :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

this had us all in stitches at lunch, thanks Dublin management!!!

What kind of Kn00bs are they, i can imagine the stick the players will get off opponents next year!!

Champions 2029???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I Doubt it but then again most KK people like to pretend gaelic footie doesn't exist!!!:D

This has being one of the worst years for dublin football fans, this is icing on the cake. I wonder who spat it all over the news appearing monday and now today in the paper.

Although if the dubs had a victory in the final like the cats and this came out it'd be adopted in every "club" in the country, like when it came out that armagh listened to al pacinos speech from any given sunday before the all ireland (in 2002?).

How many clubs do make there players sign a pledge to the club? but i bet its never a "BOOK" of 52 pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

Im really just wondering how it didnt work??? Seemed like a foolproof plan :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

It's one thing to have positive thinking and sports psychology but this is bull**** and smacks of desperation from the management at the time who clearly saw that the Dubs have an issue with mental strength and would try anything.

One thing that really got me is the list of things players must do during the game. Most of sports psychology is about clearing your mind and concentrating on things you have done time and time again in training and the simple things. Players would be thinking of meeting quotas and such rather than concentrating on your game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

* Shakes head *

Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

'I will not show or admit to the existence of THE BLUE BOOK to any other person except another Blue Book holder.' :D:D:D

I also love this bit:

And point number five of that creed declared that the holder would accept 'any disciplinary measures including withdrawal of MY BLUE BOOK, should I not apply myself as a BLUE BOOK HOLDER is expected to.'

Reminds me of Fight Club. Was their secret training sessions in an underground car park somewhere around the city aswell. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

mick_irl wrote: »
    Page 72 of the Indo today - "Opening Up The Secret Bluebook".

2-page spread by Martin Breheny.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/opening-up-the-secret-blue-book-1472842.html

here is the rest of this article, didnt see it anywhere on that link :o

What's inside Dublin's guide to success

Goalkeeper

1. Effective, positive communication at least 12 times per game.

2. Sweep up 100pc of ball over last defensive man.

3. Save 100pc shots on target.

4. Complete 100pc of passes.

5. No goals conceded.

6. 100pc success rate into target area.

7. Active, positive encouragement after every play.

8. 100pc possession retention (distribution) in open play.

9. Be available as an option (outlet) for defenders under pressure.

10. 100pc no handling errors.

(There are six other tips also)

Defenders

1. No goal conceded.

2. Two blocks.

3. Complete 100pc of restarts at speed.

4. Get something on 100pc of ball in your area.

5. Work and turn opponents 100pc of the time.

6. Apply three-second rule 100pc of the time.

7. Complete 'starting', 'during' and 'final' position for kick-outs 100pc of time.

Midfielders

1. 20 possessions

2. Two dispossessions.

3. One block.

4. Complete five passes to full-forward line.

5. Keep direct opponent scoreless.

6. Score one point.

7. Be available as a link man from defence to attack five times.

8. Four clean catches from kickout.

9. Limit opponent to one clean catch from kickout.

10. Win two breaking balls.

(There are five other tips also)

Half-forwards

1. Make three scoring opportunities for yourself.

2. Complete 80pc of scoring attempts.

3. Three assists per game.

4. One block.

5. Win 80pc of breaking ball versus your direct opponent.

6. Two dispossessions.

7. Keep direct opponent scoreless.

8. Win two frees.

9. Be available as a link man four times in the link area.

10. Apply 15 v 15, one v one 100pc of the time.

Full-forwards

1. Win 80pc possession versus direct opponent.

2. Have one goal attempt.

3. Get three scores.

4. Be involved in three assists.

5. One block.

6. Win one breaking ball.

7. Work opponent to force 50-50 clearance four times per game.

8. Apply 15 v 15, one v one 100pc of the time.

9. Win two frees.

10. Complete 80pc of scoring attempts.

The Blue Book on . . .

Being a Dub

"We want to display some typical 'Dublin Arrogance'. We want to produce the performance to substantiate this arrogance."

The media

"Our motto is -- the less we say the better."

"Silence is a true friend who never betrays." -- Confucius.

Confidence

"Our key thought is... we will do whatever it takes. Be confident in tough situations."

Success

"Our key thought is... set your goals high and don't stop 'til we get there."

Squad training

"Our key thought is desire. Our motto is -- fight one more round."

Matches

"Our key thought is... winning is not the only thing, it is everything. Our motto is -- we are not in a popularity contest."

Lifestyle and discipline

"Our motto is -- no one saves us but ourselves."

Mental preparation

"Our motto is -- we will not let the lows get to us."

September quotes

What they would be reflecting on if they were in the final

"So long as there is a breath in me, that long I will persist. For now, I know one of the great principles of success; if I persist long enough, I will win." -- OG Mandino.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed it's the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Meade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

lol, very embarrassing if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I dunno, I remember the hearing the Crok hurlers used to read inspirational quotes out at half time, that's fair lame too, but it seemed to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

The Blue Book on . . .

Being a Dub

"We want to display some typical 'Dublin Arrogance'. We want to produce the performance to substantiate this arrogance."

You missed this one Homerjay.... "when people say we are [EMAIL="w@nkers"]w@nkers[/EMAIL] we will agree, as we now know this to be true!"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

now now, no need for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

What a joke, and i would fully believe its true. Also (now this is unconfirmed just have it from a Dublin source) Pillar also made the team huddle up at training andthey had their own "Circle of Trust" like in "Meet the Fockers". In this "Circle of Trust" if a player had been out during the week, ar had done something to let his team-mates down, they would have to own up.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

Is there something about Ben Stiller that makes him a inspiration to sportsmen? They really lost their minds with this especially that bit about Being a Dub. If Armagh footballers and Cork hurlers did this than it probably cost them more All-Irelands than they won.

You missed this one Homerjay.... "when people say we are [EMAIL="w@nkers"]w@nkers[/EMAIL] we will agree, as we now know this to be true!"

Dreamer_ire,here is one you won't miss...you're banned for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

The Blue Book is fairly pathetic, alright. Fair play to the Dub who turned it over to the newspapers - clearly, he is a sensible chap who knows that this kind of pop-psychology is a load of rubbish and wanted to embarrass the next management team into not engaging in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

God this is embarassing. I'm never going to live this one down...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I'm clearly in a minority of one here but f*ck it, I really don't care or find this embarrassing as a Dublin supporter in any way.

For me, the wanky walk to the Hill (and the general Hill over-appreciation, though I've stood there myself on occasion) was far more cringey.

The way I see it, plenty of sportspeople or teams use various similar methods (positive thinking, setting goals, drilling rules home, etc.) to try and improve performance so why shouldn't the Dublin team? Fair enough, 52 pages would sound a bit OTT unless it's on A8 paper but the principle is far from embarrassing - or unique to Dublin among GAA teams.

I also think that the setting of specific individual goals (within the overall team goals) is a legitimate way of trying to address Dublin's key problem in recent years - losing their shape and organisation (whether that's Armagh 2002 or Mayo 2006). In the last few years, Dublin have been dynamite when they've managed to put training-ground moves and patterns into practice in match situations (almost like American Football, you could say) but have gone to pieces when individuals stop performing their roles within those plans (forwards not showing for ball, eg Cluxton having no options for that kick against Kerry last year, backs drifting instead of marking tight, etc.) so something had to be done.

It's just unfortunate that this one's being played out in the national media outside of the camp - you can make all the Fight Club references you like but it's a cowardly player who goes along with this all year until AFTER they haven't won the AI and then goes to the press.

what they could have used was a scorecard system where they analyse what they need to improve on and what their strength is.its a basic business strategy tool that could be applied in this context and would have saved the team and management all this embarassment instead of having a code of conduct/bible.

strategy over ethics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    I'm clearly in a minority of one here but f*ck it, I really don't care or find this embarrassing as a Dublin supporter in any way.

For me, the wanky walk to the Hill (and the general Hill over-appreciation, though I've stood there myself on occasion) was far more cringey.

The way I see it, plenty of sportspeople or teams use various similar methods (positive thinking, setting goals, drilling rules home, etc.) to try and improve performance so why shouldn't the Dublin team?

Well I dont believe it Pillar is a boardsie :p:D

Advertisement