Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The worst punishment imposed by your parents

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Mouldy Mary your story is heart breaking, I know my mothers school would kill the girls for talking to boys. Thankfully her parents were more attuned to normal life. Well her dad anyways her mom held a knife up to her throat when she came home drunk at 18..... One of her sisters had to talk the mom down, my mother was a black sheep her dad was fantastic her mother was bitter.
    My mother left school before she was fourteen and became a live in maid. The woman of the house used to take a stick to her if her work was in any way unsatisfactory. She was always reminded of her background as the child of landless labourer. After a few years the woman died and she stayed on working for the man who was very quiet. A year after the woman died, the man died. Everything was left to his nephew, my father. He left the British Army and came home. He told my mother she could stay on for a while. They ended up getting married. I think it was a convenience for both of them. It was a big rise in social status for my mother. She was obsessed with her position in society. She thought it was a great honour for us to go to secondary school in a convent. She used to buy canes from the nuns. They were specially blessed. The nuns didn't use them in the school, they just gave us a note to bring home with a complaint made in it. The note had to be brought back signed by a parent saying that it wouldn't happen again. A month after my feet were beaten, during the school holidays, I went to see my friend whose mother had TB. I was five minutes late coming home because her mother was very bad. My mother took me to the bedroom and asked me if I was going to do what I was told or would my father have to come and put manners on me. I said I would do what I was told. She made me remove my underwear and bend over the metal frame at the end of the bed with my arms stretched out in front. She lifted up the back of my dress and put it in the small of my back. She gave me six cuts of the cane on my behind. It was very sore and I think she only did it to check if I had learnt my lesson. I got a job in the Civil Service about two years later and I moved to Dublin. It was only then that the fear of being caned on the bare behind went.
    Mary they sound somewhat like my dads patents, they were not catholic they were Jehovah's witnesses and they believed in the rod of discipline, that meant the kids got pinned down by one patent as the other struck the child(aged under10) with a metal Hoover pipe, there was a catch on the Hoover pipe for the bottom piece and that would slice in to their back.

That wasn't discipline it was torture. This was for something mild like breaking a cup by accident. My dad wet the bed till he was 11 so they made him sleep outside under the caravan even in winter and even in the rain. There was true evil in his parents and some of that got passed onto all 4 of their kids.

The kids had to hide their marks from the school so they wouldn't change at pe they went home with a note and got another beating. The parents also used to get them drunk on a night by 15 my dad was an alcoholic he left home went to live with his nan and turned to drugs, he gave up the drugs before I was born but kept up the drink.

He spent his life trying to earn his parents approval or love that never happened, he died at 54, he was damaged from his traumatic childhood. His patents deserve to rot in hell, his mother is still alive, his older brother died 6weeks after my dad, his sister died at 24 when I was 8. His one brother is alive, the one with the step kids, none of the step kids talk to him, he has one daughter who he never raised a hand too, however he tortured her 3 half sisters.

I hope you do not carry the scars that my dad did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Mouldy Mary

My parents were not that bad. My father never beat us girls unless our mother got him to. if he saw us doing anything wrong he would tell our mother and let her punish us. For something like a broken cup she would give three cuts of the cane across the palm on each hand. She would use a small cane she kept downstairs. She kept bigger canes upstairs. She had one big one that was very fierce. The weals would last for ages. It took two weeks for the marks to go. My mother used only proper canes. She never beat us with branches from trees which happened a lot in some houses. She was careful with her canes, keeping them supple so they wouldn't break in use and buying new ones from the nuns fairly often.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

My parents were not that bad. My father never beat us girls unless our mother got him to. if he saw us doing anything wrong he would tell our mother and let her punish us. For something like a broken cup she would give three cuts of the cane across the palm on each hand. She would use a small cane she kept downstairs. She kept bigger canes upstairs. She had one big one that was very fierce. The weals would last for ages. It took two weeks for the marks to go. My mother used only proper canes. She never beat us with branches from trees which happened a lot in some houses. She was careful with her canes, keeping them supple so they wouldn't break in use and buying new ones from the nuns fairly often.
    Treating the instruments of torture with loving care by giving them regular watering, not overworking them and an early retirement package does not excuse the brutal nature of the punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kerry hawk

The nuns had a rule that girls in uniform should not talk to boys in public. This was the rule even if it was brother and sister. The nuns said the school would get a bad name if their girls were seen talking to boys. I had a friend whose mother got TB. The mother was sent to a sanitorium and my friend was taken out of school to look after the house. I hadn't seen her for about three months when I met her brother when we were both coming from mass. We had been to an early mass before school to pray for our exams. I asked him how his mother was and how my friend was getting on. We serenity talking for two or three minutes. Someone reported us to the nuns. He was leatherd by the Brothers when they found out from the nuns. When he got home he got another fierce flogging. Rule breaking was taken very seriously in those schools.
    As I stated in a previous post, Nuns at times, could be sick twisted evil *****, enough said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jessie j

Kerry hawk wrote: »
    As I stated in a previous post, Nuns at times, could be sick twisted evil *****, enough said.

I think that is a very unfair comment. You should delete it at once. My mother was a widow at an early age, and she was left with six young children to raise. She was a terrible disciplinarian. The poor woman was too soft to put us in line, so it was left to my educators, the nuns to do so. I never knew my Father, he had died before I was born, so I never knew anything else but to run wild. The Nuns taught me right from wrong. I remember once throwing a tantrum in the class room, and I threw a book at my teacher, I was dragged to the office and Sr Pius, the principal bent me across her desk and started beating me with a thick leather strap on my bare bottom. Never experienced as much pain in my life, until child birth of course. From that day on, I stopped been a little brat, and I became a great student, and most of all a better person. Only for that nun, I would not be the person I am today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Some of the stories in here are heart breaking. Some of the punishments in here are barbaric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

jessie j wrote: »

I think that is a very unfair comment. You should delete it at once. My mother was a widow at an early age, and she was left with six young children to raise. She was a terrible disciplinarian. The poor woman was too soft to put us in line, so it was left to my educators, the nuns to do so. I never knew my Father, he had died before I was born, so I never knew anything else but to run wild. The Nuns taught me right from wrong. I remember once throwing a tantrum in the class room, and I threw a book at my teacher, I was dragged to the office and Sr Pius, the principal bent me across her desk and started beating me with a thick leather strap on my bare bottom. Never experienced as much pain in my life, until child birth of course. From that day on, I stopped been a little brat, and I became a great student, and most of all a better person. Only for that nun, I would not be the person I am today.
    They said nuns "could be" evil etc, not all of them. And they're not incorrect in saying it. Ever hear of Goldenbridge Industrial School? The laundries? Just because you feel one nun helped you out, doesn't mean they were all great - not that she was any better. She beat you with a leather strap ffs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Dear god this thread is horrific. Never been so happy to have a Mam and Dad who would never even dream of hitting their kids.

The worst that happened to me was I would get sent to bed early! In my mind there was nothing worse. If only I'd known just how lucky I was!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Did you tell your mother what had happened when you got home?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Not a parent's punishment at all, but one from the national school principal. Just thought people might appreciate the story.

There was a teacher at the school who I now know was moved around schools quite a bit and must have had something over the principal of my school to have held on to his job.

He was a piece of work. Ridiculing kids for not knowing things, kids always being worried he would go off if they didn't get a right answer, called kids by their surnames (over 30 kids and a lot of common surnames). You didn't know which of them he was talking to, but you were screamed at for not being telepathic. He physically ripped a kid out of his desk once, the old two-seater one-piece desks with a round hole on the top where an inkwell would have fitted when they were made in the 12th century. Imagine being pulled straight up out of that and your knees getting a wallop off the desk.

I had a genuine question about something once, to do with science I think. I asked somebody who had a ****ing clue what they were talking about that weekend and confirmed what I had thought. He gave out and ridiculed me in front of the class and made everyone say the "correct" version over and over, and kept people inside for a part of lunch, making sure to point out that it was my fault that was happening.

There was a shy girl who I think was quite smart, but was terrified of him, she never got on in school because she was put in "rang feabhais", intended to help kids who had trouble keeping up. Some it did help, but others it just took them out of normal class and they were rarely able to catch up.

This kunt of a teacher would invite kids from junior/senior infants to do basic maths with blocks, questions the girl wouldn't answer because she was sobbing with fear, just to humiliate her. We were well past adding with blocks at that age, but he just did it to humiliate her. The kids would happily to the maths, oblivious to why they were actually doing it.

My parents and those of other kids in the class wanted him dismissed for his behaviour but the teacher in question along with the principal went around to all the parents to basically warn them against attending a planned meeting to discuss it, between the parents.

I didn't realise it at the time, but I was picked on by the principal a number of times. Calling home or threatening to call home for bad behaviour. I was the laziest shyte going at school, but a messer I was not.

I was pulled out of "the line" that you stand in when the bell rings before you are told by a teacher to file back in for class after break/lunch. My crime was talking in the line. I was marched to the office in front of the school and my parents were called. I don't remember the specifics after that, but I vaguely remember the principal making things up to add to my "crime". I can't have been more than 7 or 8 at the time. I would have been far too afraid to speak up for myself.

I was picked on by the teacher himself also, after the attempt to have him removed, not that I was alone in that.

The teacher was gotten rid of a few years later, when the issue came to a head again. I was in secondary school at that point, when a sibling of mien was in his class.

I was a terrible student in national school, intelligent enough I suppose, but often didn't do things if I could get away with it and even if I didn't. In hindsight I didn't give a damn largely because I hated the place and probably thought I was doing myself a favour.

There were some excellent teachers in that school too, if only I had taken advantage to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The thing that always went through my mind was the wooden spoon being used for cooking afterwards. :eek:

And you thank her that?. My Father often gave me a hiding, but he thought it was for my own good. If you seriously think that Nun carried out that act of punishment for your own good, think again. She probably wanted you to suffer. It would probably have killed the old bag if she knew you thanked her for it. Even the fact she pinned you across her desk and pulled your knickers down, has a sense of abnormality attached to it. As some one already pointed out about Goldenbridge, those nuns went out of their way to make those children's life a living hell. I mean those kids were damn unfortunate to have to go in there in the first place, but for those bitter twisted ****s to torture them on a daily basis on top of that is just a horror story. They were so twisted and bitter that they were nuns, they took out their anger on those poor kids. just becuz they were probably shoved in to the convent by their own parents. Those kids would have been better of on the streets.

And you thank her that?. My Father often gave me a hiding, but he thought it was for my own good. If you seriously think that Nun carried out that act of punishment for your own good, think again. She probably wanted you to suffer. It would probably have killed the old bag if she knew you thanked her for it. Even the fact she pinned you across her desk and pulled your knickers down, has a sense of abnormality attached to it. As some one already pointed out about Goldenbridge, those nuns went out of their way to make those children's life a living hell. I mean those kids were damn unfortunate to have to go in there in the first place, but for those bitter twisted ****s to torture them on a daily basis on top of that is just a horror story. They were so twisted and bitter that they were nuns, they took out their anger on those poor kids. just becuz they were probably shoved in to the convent by their own parents. Those kids would have been better of on the streets.

How dare you. You haven't a clue what you are on about. Kids today if you ask me don't get enough of good hard physical discipline. That is because of a decline in respect for religious orders. All the nuns I knew were good women.Yes they used phyical means to discipline me and my fellow students. Cop on you little pup. Kids need to experience pain when they have done something wrong, it wouldn't be punishment otherwise. All Parents want to do today are spoil their brats until they become rotten to the core.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

How dare you. You haven't a clue what you are on about. Kids today if you ask me don't get enough of good hard physical discipline. That is because of a decline in respect for religious orders. All the nuns I knew were good women.Yes they used phyical means to discipline me and my fellow students. Cop on you little pup. Kids need to experience pain when they have done something wrong, it wouldn't be punishment otherwise. All Parents want to do today are spoil their brats until they become rotten to the core.

So much for "becoming a better person"

Dudess wrote: »
    They said nuns "could be" evil etc, not all of them. And they're not incorrect in saying it. Ever hear of Goldenbridge Industrial School? The laundries? Just because you feel one nun helped you out, doesn't mean they were all great - not that she was any better. She beat you with a leather strap ffs.

Nuns helped alot of people out. It's easy for people to look back now and whinge over some documentary they saw, but I witnessed the good they did all over the country and beyond. Even though I didn't think so on the day, but that beating with the leather strap was one of the best days of my life. It turned my life around.

Did you tell your mother what had happened when you got home?

I did, and she was not a happy camper with me, but it's like this, she was too much of a coward to discipline us, but she was more than happy to let others do it for her. The local Sargeant often gave my brothers a good few slaps. If you ask them about it today they like me are extremely thankful. We missed out on a Father to beat us in the righ direction. Thank God there were others to there do it.

bluewolf wrote: »
    So much for "becoming a better person"

What are you blabbering on about?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What are you blabbering on about?

You sound like an angry person who relishes the idea of inflicting pain on children. So no, I don't think being abused in such a perverted manner "made you a better person".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Kids today if you ask me don't get enough of good hard physical discipline. That is because of a decline in respect for religious orders.

A decline in respect for an organisation of corrupt, greedy child abusers? Who peddled lies to the Irish public for decades in order to keep the twisted influence of the Vatican present in our country? Who systematically sexually and physically abused vulnerable children and brazenly lied and cheated to cover it up? Who stifled debate and social progress in our country, repressed minorities and left their sickly imprint on our cultural memory, the hangover of which is still present in many ignorant defenders of the Church?

Religious orders are the refuge of the coward, the naive, the credulous fool hungry for illusory power and those who mistake fear for respect. A decline in respect for these venomous organisations is not enough; they still command too much power and respect in this country.

bluewolf wrote: »
    You sound like an angry person who relishes the idea of inflicting pain on children. So no, I don't think being abused in such a perverted manner "made you a better person".

I am not. What I am is a person who was lucky to grow up in an era when kids were disciplined well. Even my useless walkover mother disciplined us better that parents discipline their kids today. How dare you relate that incident of punishment to been some sexual gratification for Sr Pius. It's no wonder there are loads of false allegations out there. Slapping bare bottom whether with a hand or strap was very common back then.

• Advertisement

mloc wrote: »
    A decline in respect for an organisation of corrupt, greedy child abusers? Who peddled lies to the Irish public for decades in order to keep the twisted influence of the Vatican present in our country? Who systematically sexually and physically abused vulnerable children and brazenly lied and cheated to cover it up? Who stifled debate and social progress in our country, repressed minorities and left their sickly imprint on our cultural memory, the hangover of which is still present in many ignorant defenders of the Church?

Religious orders are the refuge of the coward, the naive, the credulous fool hungry for illusory power and those who mistake fear for respect. A decline in respect for these venomous organisations is not enough; they still command too much power and respect in this country.

You are just rambling on, live life and get back to me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Jessie j now free to live life without AH for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I am not. What I am is a person who was lucky to grow up in an era when kids were disciplined well. Even my useless walkover mother disciplined us better that parents discipline their kids today. How dare you relate that incident of punishment to been some sexual gratification for Sr Pius. It's no wonder there are loads of false allegations out there. Slapping bare bottom whether with a hand or strap was very common back then.

Yes and it was wrong back then just the same as it's wrong now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Very sad how some have clearly been brainwashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Being beaten with a leather belt or battered around the head. I don't remember what it was for any of the times it happened. Certainly nothing serious.

Being told that my mother had left me as she was sick of me when she didn't come home for a few hours after jumping out of the car at traffic lights when my father was grabbing and threatening her.

I am thankful and count myself lucky that I was not subjected to such punishments as Mouldy Mary and others who have described such abuse.

I cannot forgive my father however as I don't believe he did it for my good. He did it because he is an aggressive, violent bully with a bad temper and he had lost control. I think he was and is a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I think the only way to cope with horrid abuse it to justify it, I know I've done it my dad has done it.

We brainwash ourselves it's a coping mechanism. To face up to something takes courage and it can be soul distroying unless you are strong enough and have people around you take care for you and support you.

Jessie j now free to live life without AH for a while.

Maybe it's that Koseegan dude, after getting a sex change:D. I wonder what he would do with his cain if he got hold of Sr Pius:p

I also grew up in a time when being physically punished was the norm. My Dad usually dealt with me by smacking me, and the odd serious ocassion, I got a few strokes of his belt. It was the 80's and 90's, I will probably use smacking now and again when I have kids of my own,if I feel it is warranted, but if I ever went home and told my parents that a nun had taken off my pants and beat me, THEY'D KILL HER. Any parent would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Nuns helped alot of people out. It's easy for people to look back now and whinge over some documentary they saw

This shows that your abuse - there is NO other word for it - did nothing to develop compassion or empathy in you.

People don't whinge over a documentary, they become outraged at the human stories told in it, and furious at child abusers like yours not only escaping the legal consequences of their actions, but having their actions justified by their damaged victims.

• Advertisement

• Dudess wrote: »
    Very sad how some have clearly been brainwashed.

It also may explain why so many people have unquestioning support to those in power, as in no matter how wrong they believe something is they'll still do it because they "respect" the power of those in charge!

Advertisement