Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Anyone wrote: »
    Who cleans the streets, who tidys the parks, who cleans the water, who repairs the roads, who repairs drains, I can go on and on and on.
    streets are filthy, roads are in bits, parks are dirty, drains are constantly blocked, water pipes are burst all over the country etc etc. none of the service jobs are being carried out to any standard at present. It's not from lack of funding, it's from lack of interest and skills of the council workers. Before spending money on old rope, the system needs to be fixed!

prinz wrote: »
    laugh wrote: »
    This argument is idiocy, our other taxes paid for these things until now, paye, vat etc,...

They didn't. Hence the reason our country is running a deficit.
    They did. 170m was recently withdrawn from council funding. So now even with property tax at 100% compliance it will still be down 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,478 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Izzy Skint wrote: »
    good on you Freddie59, totally agree with that, there are so many unfair aspects to this tax, the greatest of which is it is being forced on people by our government and the IMF to pay gambling debts....all of you who have already paid this household tax are sheep....baaaaaa!.... bend over guys and take your fisting from europe!!....
    this was your chance to say stop!...enough is enough!....tell our useless politicians to sort out our spending, sort out the corruption, bring people to justice....but no....you have decided to take a fisting from our politicians and hand over your cash....good on ye all....wastes of space...traitors to the Irish people
    I want gov. to cut spending on social welfare by at least another 3 to 4 billion € right away, cut the lifetime dole entitlement etc. etc. etc. etc.....as it stands it does not pay me to go to work, any further tax increases is only taking the p!ss and will ultimately destroy what's left of the economy.....what hope is there for a society where you are better off financially sitting on your ass all day rather than going to work???.....but it appears that's what the government wants

Dont forget to cash your Child Benefit next Tuesday. How much are you getting €140, €280, €428 more?. Nice bit of tax free money for you there courtesy of the sheep. How much do you want to see cut from that?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/child_benefit.html#l62fd2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

dvpower wrote: »
    There is zero chance of getting anything approaching this through the Dail - you are completely out of sync with the electorate. But feel free to campaign on this platform in the next GE.

I think you're safe.

oh whats the matter.

sad i actually answered your little trick question hoping to out me as some lefty financial illiterate ?

were being asked to pay these taxes to keep enda and co in clover.

i wont fecking do it anymore than i can help.

you asked what id do, i answered.

YOUR solution is to keep over paying the best paid politcal class in europe.

well feck that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

There is zero chance of getting anything approaching this through the Dail - you are completely out of sync with the PS unions. But feel free to campaign on this platform in the next GE.

I think you're safe.

Fixed that for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

gerryo777 wrote: »
    How much of the €80 odd billion we're borrowing went to unsecured bondholders and bankrupt banks?
    Far too much. Its a pity about the deficit. If we didn't have to borrow €18bn a year, we might have been in a stronger position to deal with unsecured bondholders.

• Advertisement

If jack o'connor read this his head would just, explode!!

that fukker and his ilk have ALOT to answer for.

partnership was the biggest scam in the history of the state.

they confused "Best interest of their members" with massive amounts of money.

now its come back to bite them on the arse.

i cant see anyway croke park will survive the next year (i.e next may 13 or so) . itll come down to pay cuts or redundancies in the end.

more than likely both .

they ****ed their members up royally

oh whats the matter.

sad i actually answered your little trick question hoping to out me as some lefty financial illiterate ?
    And you went and confirmed yourself as some extreme right wing financial illiterate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Naive is a suitable word you use alright. They were given mortgages by banks that felt they (banks) could not lose no matter what happened. The banks are supposed to be the financial experts, not the mortgage applicants.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

My personal favourite was this gaff though
    Yeah, you're right, we haven't got the rest of the UK to subsidise us.
    George Osborne confirmed this morning that Britain would provide around £7bn to support Ireland as part of the international rescue package requested last night.

His comments came as a British thinktank said UK taxpayers should not "cough up" £7bn to help bail out the Irish economy, and eurosceptic Conservative MPs also voiced their opposition.

To placate eurosceptic critics, the chancellor insisted that Britain would not be part of a permanent bailout mechanism for eurozone countries.

"What we have committed to do is to obviously be partners as shareholders in the IMF in an international rescue of the Irish economy," Osborne told BBC Radio 4's Today programme. "But we have also made a commitment to consider a bilateral loan that reflects the fact we are not part of the euro… but Ireland is our very closest economic neighbour."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/nov/22/ireland-bailout-uk-lends-seven-billion

Naive is one word you could use......

Far too much. Its a pity about the deficit. If we didn't have to borrow €18bn a year, we might have been in a stronger position to deal with unsecured bondholders.

In a way, your admitting that this unjust and unfair property tax is being used, at least in part, to pay back money that was borrowed to give to bondholders and bankrupt banks.

Don't think the deficit will be half as big this year as we are not,as yet, putting more money into the banks. I think it was €10 billion last year.

And you went and confirmed yourself as some extreme right wing financial illiterate.

well give us YOUR anwer lad !

explain how your gonna get 15 billion in taxes like this?

there NOTHING right wing about prudent fiscal spending. all im mooting will put us back to 2000 or so.

and THAT was the celtic tiger.

• Advertisement

If jack o'connor read this his head would just, explode!!
    From the laughing.

From the laughing.

Exactly that, and that's the biggest part of the problem, he knows that the government haven't the balls to stand up to them.

The IMF and the EU on the other hand............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

In a way, your admitting that this unjust and unfair property tax is being used, at least in part, to pay back money that was borrowed to give to bondholders and bankrupt banks.

Don't think the deficit will be half as big this year as we are not,as yet, putting more money into the banks. I think it was €10 billion last year.

The deficit will be €4bn less according to Budget.

You have an active imagination, I'll give you that.
    €25bn I think, but €6bn of this was bank recaps

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

that fukker and his ilk have ALOT to answer for.

partnership was the biggest scam in the history of the state.

they confused "Best interest of their members" with massive amounts of money.

now its come back to bite them on the arse.

i cant see anyway croke park will survive the next year (i.e next may 13 or so) . itll come down to pay cuts or redundancies in the end.

more than likely both .

they ****ed their members up royally

Well said. I am not paying the property tax when I have already paid high other taxes and when the government squanders 20 billion a year on partnership with the unions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

Dont forget to cash your Child Benefit next Tuesday. How much are you getting €140, €280, €428 more?. Nice bit of tax free money for you there courtesy of the sheep. How much do you want to see cut from that?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/child_benefit.html#l62fd2

The sheep are those who have paid this tax....income tax, prsi and usc charge go towards paying for child benefit....and in fact I would be willing to take a cut in CB IF it applied to EVERYONE...whether you are working or on social welfare!!....they could also reduce amounts paid for the second child, reduce it further for third child and so on....is that ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,478 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What cuts would you make to 'balance the books overnight'?

Cut the number of T.D.'s by 25%. This country does not need 166 chancers.
    Close the Seanad (F.G. promised a Referendum within 100 days on this but reneged I believe)
    Cut wages at the top of the Public Sector by 15% and seek retirements where it will matter as there are too many administrators on big dosh - not in Frontline Services)
    Screw the unguaranteed bondholders too.
    Stop the Junkets.
    Reduce T.D.'s mileage and allowances as some of these are a complete rip-off.

There now, just off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Savker

I will pay when they take all the money back from Bertie and all the other shower of B**tards

• Registered Users Posts: 20,478 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Izzy Skint wrote: »
    The sheep are those who have paid this tax....income tax, prsi and usc charge go towards paying for child benefit....and in fact I would be willing to take a cut in CB IF it applied to EVERYONE...whether you are working or on social welfare!!....they could also reduce amounts paid for the second child, reduce it further for third child and so on....is that ok?

That's fine yes. I suggest a reduction of €1000 per child per year, still leaves you with about €700 each.

You have an active imagination, I'll give you that.

You've admitted that some of the money we're borrowing went to bondholders & bankrupt banks.
    You've said that we need to pay back the loans.
    You do agree that that local council funding was cut by €170 million this year in order to find the money to start repaying said loans.
    And the 'household charge' is meant to replace the cuts to local funding.

I don't need an 'active imagination' to see what's happening in front of my eyes.

• Advertisement

Close the Seanad (F.G. promised a Referendum within 100 days on this but reneged I believe)
    Cut wages at the top of the Public Sector by 15% and seek retirements where it will matter as there are too many administrators on big dosh - not in Frontline Services)
    Stop the Junkets.

D'ya remember when enda was going on about cutting the number of junior ministers.

turns out he appointed two more than cowan.

fecker cant tell the truth about anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Stop the Junkets.

So you'd do nothing that would come even close to sufficiently closing the deficit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Heard an interesting one on 4FM today - A man in Waterford has a mortgage on his house for the next 31 years, so he asked his bank how much of his house he owns, they said '3%' so he asked for it in writing, and after recieving it - he's now bringing the banks to court requesting that they pay 97% of the fee.

That's fine yes. I suggest a reduction of €1000 per child per year, still leaves you with about €700 each.

Your kids, if you had any, are obviously past the age that you would need, or qualify for child benefit.

So you'd do nothing that would come even close to sufficiently closing the deficit?

Well as you seem to know everything then maybe you would cost my proposals for me then instead of making snide remarks.
    I'd say mine would make up more than the Property Tax seeing as only 22% have registered to pay and a large percentage of them are exempt.

Populist, but negligible savings.
    Ditto
    A few hundred million here - I'm in favour of targetted redundancies in the PS
    That is a biggie, but now you're going to have to work faster - you've just scuppered the bailout deal.
    Stop the Junkets.
    Populist, but, again, negligible savings.
    Ditto - again.
    A fair bit of populist stuff here, but you've failed to cut the deficit overnight.
    Government cheques are going to start bouncing in the morning, services are going to grind to a halt, whats left of the economy collapses.

Taoiseach Tayto will be hounded from office on day 2.

Populist, but negligible savings.

Ditto

A few hundred million here - I'm in favour of targetted redundancies in the PS

That is a biggie, but now you're going to have to work faster - you've just scuppered the bailout deal.

Populist, but, again, negligible savings.

Ditto - again.

A fair bit of populist stuff here, but you've failed to cut the deficit overnight.
    Government cheques are going to start bouncing in the morning, services are going to grind to a halt, whats left of the economy collapses.

Taoiseach Tayto will be hounded from office on day 2.

Well Taoiseach Enda will be hounded out at the next election so i'd be in good company :D
    I'd say my proposals would make more than the 22% registering for the property Tax and many of them exempt.

sup to 24% if TV3 are to be belived.

looks like im gunning to be bang on my 30% prediction !

:D

Where's alistair, did he get a ban for "insulting people" like I did?

• Advertisement

"Squeezing the Middle Classes" 10.00 p.m. Wed on T.V. 3.
    Should be worth a watch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement