Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE announcing WrestleMania did 1.3 million buys (Updated)

• 04-04-2012 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭

Gus Ramsey of ESPN wrote the following in his Twitter: "accidentally deleted my earlier tweet. Rock and Brock each sign 1 year deals. WM28 did 1.9M buys. WWE was targeting 1.5M" If that ends up being the case, WWE certainly has a lot to be happy about.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm calling BS, but I'm reading rumours that Mania drew 1.9 million buys...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'm calling BS, but I'm reading rumours that Mania drew 1.9 million buys...
    If Wrestlemania got 1.9 million, TNA must be getting about 250,000 each month :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

GTR63 wrote: »
    Gus Ramsey of ESPN wrote the following in his Twitter: "accidentally deleted my earlier tweet. Rock and Brock each sign 1 year deals. WM28 did 1.9M buys. WWE was targeting 1.5M" If that ends up being the case, WWE certainly has a lot to be happy about.

That tweet is everywhere, I am doubtful. Its a monumental upturn from last year which was considered a success at the time if true....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Rjd2 wrote: »
    That tweet is everywhere, I am doubtful. Its a monumental upturn from last year which was considered a success at the time.

It would put it approaching Del La Hoya vs Meaweather levels (2.1M). So yeah total BS.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

This 1.9 million buys for Mania has to be nothing more than an estimate, if not a wild guess. I imagine it's a sampling from an area. We won't know the official figures until the next quarter during WWE's business shareholder's meeting.

But even if it's 1.4 million, WM/Rock has been a resounding success. Only caught the "once in a lifetime" buildup before RAW, was impressed at how WWE played it off - that these are two megastar celebrities fighting; since the wrestling audience was already sold on it.

Also, ratings barely budged an inch, which doesn't really add up to almost doubling some manias of previous years. Doesn't seem there was too much outside interest, but who knows.

• Advertisement

Split this off into it's own thread as i saw it posted in more than one thread. Everyone can have a goosie then i'll put it in the WM thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

I can't see how it wouldn't have beaten the trump one even with the poor build, they got 1.1 the year before with heaps less going for it.
    I'll guess 1.5 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

I honestly think WrestleMania would have done the 0.8 to 1.1 range maximum, as of the Monday before Mania. But the Lesnar rumours would have swung it a little higher, perhaps the 1.2 to 1.4 range maximum. But 1.9 is way out of the ballpark, I'd say they'd be quite happy with 1.2 especially since the ratings have been so mediocre since the Rumble. But if the rumours are true Vince is absolutely creaming himself and probably throwing money at Rock and Lesnar to never leave again..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Is that 1.9million figure Domestic or International though?

Charisteas wrote: »
    Is that 1.9million figure Domestic or International though?

^ Dude knows his onions :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

For comparison, here's the buyrates for previous years...

WrestleMania 1 - 398,000 (Closed Circuit Television)
    WrestleMania 2 - 319,000 (Closed Circuit Television)
    WrestleMania III - 450,000 (Closed Circuit Television) and another 400,000 on PPV
    WrestleMania IV - 175,000 (Closed Circuit Television)
    WrestleMania V - 767,000
    WrestleMania VI - 550,000
    WrestleMania VII - 400,000
    WrestleMania VIII - 360,000
    WrestleMania IX - 430,000
    WrestleMania X - 420,000
    WrestleMania XI - 340,000
    WrestleMania XII - 290,000
    WrestleMania 13 - 237,000 (Lowest Buyrate Record)
    WrestleMania XIV - 730,000
    WrestleMania XV - 800,000
    WrestleMania 2000 - 824,000
    WrestleMania X-Seven - 1,040,000
    WrestleMania X8 - 880,000
    WrestleMania XIX - 560,000
    WrestleMania XX - 1,007,000
    WrestleMania 21 - 1,085,000
    WrestleMania 22 - 975,000
    WrestleMania 23 - 1,250,000 (Highest Buyrate Record)
    WrestleMania XXIV - 1,041,000
    WrestleMania XXV - 960,000
    WrestleMania XXVI - 885,000
    WrestleMania XXVII - 1,042,000

Not sure about domestic and international though...

Gus Ramsey:
    Re: WM28 buy rate. 1- I work at espn, not a reporter. Not the same thing. 2- I heard the number but have no confirmation. I thought the number was already out there. I wasnt trying to break any news. Just tweeting to my small following in case they missed it. I trust who I heard it from, but again no confirmation.

Bill Simmon's professional friend :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

For comparison, here's the buyrates for previous years...

Not sure about domestic and international though...
    Wow, wrestlemania 19 did shít in comparison to the rest of the recent manias, it had a super mania card and its one of my favourite Manias ever. Wonder why it did so poorly numbers wise...

Id imagine if we had that exact same mania card next year, we'd be getting over double the buys of WM 19, considering it had Rock, Austin, Angle, Brock, Hogan, Taker, Trips, HBK, Jericho, Flair etc.

Oh, and Limp Bizkit.

Wow, wrestlemania 19 did shít in comparison to the rest of the recent manias, and its one of my favourite Manias ever. Wonder why it did so poorly...

WWE officially blamed Seattle for being a terrible and isolated media market. National newspapers and TV tend to based in the New Yorks and LAs of the world. WWE also blamed Angle and Lesnar for not drawing. Wrestling pundits on the other hand put the blame on Hogan/Vince for not drawing as they had most TV time in the Mania build up.

Yeah I'd go with Hogan/Vince being pushed the hardest and also Rock & Austin returned the previous month at No Way Out and did a whopper buyrate. Also the raw main event with HHH vs Dance for me Booker surely turned many off,

Shame because XIX is my favourite manias; probably more interesting backstage storylines than on-screen! Review-a-Wai podcast covers it very well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Are TV ratings a good way to gauge what Mania's buy rates could be.

I ask as its so easy to watch RAW or Smackdown without seeing it live or replayed on TV. Hulu have full episodes, You Tube has full episodes and even WWE.com show lots of what happened on its own site. Its very easy to catch up with what happened and watch the stuff you are interested in.

I would imagine the core audience watches eack week regardless, while casual viewers watch online after reading about what heppened. This mania would have got the attention of a lot of casual viewers who in the past paid for PPVs and may have took a punt on this mania.

i'm fairly sure pre-Mania last year, ratings jumped to 3.4-3.5 whilst this time around they practically stayed at 3.0-3.1; which doesn't vote well.

I remember the false reports of MITB coming out, i think it skyrocketed/doubled to 380,000 buys but the reality was it sold 30,000 more than normal. Pretty shrewd marketing by WWE, because people will hear "1.9 million" and think nothing of it, and won't be paying attention to WWE when the 1.1 million comes out :)

jaykhunter wrote: »
    i'm fairly sure pre-Mania last year, ratings jumped to 3.4-3.5 whilst this time around they practically stayed at 3.0-3.1; which doesn't vote well.

I remember the false reports of MITB coming out, i think it skyrocketed/doubled to 380,000 buys but the reality was it sold 30,000 more than normal. Pretty shrewd marketing by WWE, because people will hear "1.9 million" and think nothing of it, and won't be paying attention to WWE when the 1.1 million comes out :)

Kind of the like the accounced on the night attendance figures for Wrestlemania vs what get published in the financial accounts:

wm_proj_attendance.jpg

Credit: Chris Harrington

WWE announced 78363 last Sunday well above the predicted figure.

Love the 2009 figure. Ah jaysus we will wack it up 10,000 for the craic. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Aye and Youtube and hulu and the Internet was around then as well. :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Last year the voice wasn't on in the run up to mania. It started in Feb this year. Considering wwe claim 35 percent of its audience is female that must be an impact on the ratings? Maybe not!

If what I saw earlier is true, The week before mania 23 raw had a rating of 3.9. The year before 22 had a 4.2, yet there was a big gap between the buys with mania 22 getting less buys even though Raw had better ratings at that time.

I just think RAW numbers may not tell the whole story about what will catch peoples imagination and make them buy the PPV.

I don't know much about viewing habits, justt trying to figure some things out. Thanks for the replies anyway.

• Advertisement

rovert wrote: »
    Kind of the like the accounced on the night attendance figures for Wrestlemania vs what get published in the financial accounts

Where's Charisteas and the legit 93,000 :pac:

Where's Charisteas and the legit 93,000 :pac:

img_265_wwe-smackdown-2002-vince-mcmahon-introduces-nwo-promo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

WWE announced that WrestleMania XXVIII, held April 1 at Sun Life Stadium in Miami, set new records for pay-per-view buys and gross sales.

Preliminary estimates show that WrestleMania, featuring the historic “Once in a Lifetime” Match between The Rock and John Cena, garnered 1.3 million pay-per-view buys with global gross sales in excess of $67 million including the live event.

WrestleMania was seen around the world on pay-per-view in more than 105 countries and 20 languages.

Preliminary estimates show that WrestleMania, featuring the historic “Once in a Lifetime” Match between The Rock and John Cena, garnered 1.3 million pay-per-view buys with global gross sales in excess of $67 million including the live event.

Initially 1.9 million was floated about, then 1.1 million. Best call it all hearsay until the official number comes out at the WWE shareholders conference call.

TBH i'm in split minds about what I want it to do, as I want WWE to do well but I don't want any more 1 year builds.

Ah well they didn't beat the 93173 attendance figure so I'll be sleeping peacefully every night for another year :D

WrestleMania was seen around the world on pay-per-view in more than 105 countries and 20 languages.

I wonder how that works? I can picture 40 guys from 20 different countries cramped into 20 little rooms in Titan Towers calling the action for their home country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

bring WM30 to the garden and it'll sound like alot more than 93173

I'd imagine they do voice overs in their own recording booth in their own country. WWE most likely send out digital files of the ppv without commentator audio; and beats of the show. The commentators translate/summarise promos on the fly.

I imagine if it's not televised in English/Spanish live, it's post-produced in a different language. I've nothing to back that up though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

I have a feeling That the Success of WrestleMania XXVIII Was due to The Rock VS Cena match and The HIAC Match.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I have a feeling That the Success of WrestleMania XXVIII Was due to The Rock VS Cena match and The HIAC Match.

Surely it was Maria Mentos & Kelly Kelly vs Eve & Beth no?

Advertisement