Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Floyd Mayweather Vs Miguel Cotto

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

While I'm not sure Floyd is still at his best at 35, I think those who said Floyd's legs are gone should reassess their opinion. I was impressed with cotto's endurance, he did seem to get rocked in the 12th but overall I thought he was about as good as I've seen him.

I was one who thought Floyd had lost that leg speed, now, still it is not as quick as years gone by, but mostly due to weight. He still has great legs for a WW. Yes, Floyd last night boxed and moved and punched as good as I have ever seen at WW and above. Plus, his output and stamina looked better too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

makl wrote: »
    Didnt watch it live but got a replay earlier.

went lookin for links but barred here now? i didn't see any notice of that.

no worries cowzerp but what is an official link? plenty of youtube vids of previous fights all over this forum.

how long has this been in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

Are download links not allowed here anymore, it's bad news for boxing if thats the case. You have the option of watching on boxnation but it's terrible

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Anyone have any links to the post fight press conference? I assume that's allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

Good fight .......... was very close in my eyes.

Floyd threw the usual pitter patter bullshtit , with all his nuthuggers shouting 'oohhh's and aahhhhs' in the crowd every time he lifted an arm .

Cotto worked harder , threw harder and chased him down.

A few months in jail wont do Mayweather any harm, think of the interest he'll earn on all that cash.

• Advertisement

Floyd threw the usual pitter patter bullshtit , with all his nuthuggers shouting 'oohhh's and aahhhhs' in the crowd every time he lifted an arm .

A few months in jail wont do Mayweather any harm, think of the interest he'll earn on all that cash.

I think Floyd worked harder, threw more and landed more. Cotto was far too reluctant at times. In the kill zone, and idle. Crouched, and idle. It was Floyd who was throwing more shots throughout.

As for the pitter patter. Well to me I saw Floyd put venom into a lot of his shots. More venom than I have seen in a while. That long range right hook was a key punch for Floyd. It landed a fair deal to the left side of Cotto's head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Do you ever stop bitching about Mayweather? The better fighter came out on top, Cotto did well but he's just not on the same level as Floyd.

You probably had money on Cotto, some people just never learn... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Gotta see that fight - sounds awesome

efb wrote: »
    Gotta see that fight - sounds awesome

Wasn't awesome. Good fight I thought. Nothing great. Canelo-Mosley was very enjoyable. Mosley showed great heart, toughness and ability for a faded man.

Anyone have any links to the post fight press conference? I assume that's allowed.

twitter is a good source for most stuff now.

colly i didnt see anything posted about this in this forum but maybe there was some notice on main page.

where is the line drawn if clips are allowed, a day or a week after fight? not a good thing imo

• Advertisement

Anyone know what Justin Bieber was doing in the ring with Floyd? Story behind that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

walshb wrote: »
    Anyone know what Justin Bieber was doing in the ring with Floyd? Story behind that?

Marketing I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

The 2 of them seem to be friendly enough and I think Justin is a big fan of Floyd. Floyd probably just invited him to add to his celebrity/showbiz/star-power appeal.

floyd-bieber-wayne-fight-5.jpg

practice cellmate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Good fight, Floyd deserved to win by about 3 or 4 rounds. I don't understand where all the Floyd bashing is coming from, he deserved the win, had some of the stronger shots, clearly was looking to mix it up with Cotto though he'd have easily coasted through the fight if he kept the fight at a distance.

Cotto did well enough, but with Floyd wise enough to tie up when he got close, a lot of Cotto's inside work looked awkward and ineffective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Marketing I'd say.

Exactly, bieber didn know where to look. The looks 50pence was givin him was funny. All nervous and when they walked out he couldn stop smiling at the crowd. Dont think he even realised they weren for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I thought it was a sick child that Floyd was bringing along at first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

What would people think of a fight between Floyd and Alvarez?

I couldn't catch the fight last night so can't say how well Alvarez performed although i know he beat Mosley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Best they be kept apart for another few fights yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

What would people think of a fight between Floyd and Alvarez?

I couldn't catch the fight last night so can't say how well Alvarez performed although i know he beat Mosley.

Alverez performed well and at 21, looks like he'll be a great fighter but it's too soon to be taking on Floyd yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

colly10 wrote: »
    Alverez performed well and at 21, looks like he'll be a great fighter but it's too soon to be taking on Floyd yet

Probably never happen so because at 35 I don't think Floyd has a whole lot of fights left. It's crazy that he is only 21 with 41 fights.

It's hard to see what meaningful fight is left for Floyd because i think Manny vs Floyd will never happen and i can't see Floyd hanging around in the sport to much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭megadodge

I thought Mayweather won by 4-5 rounds. No doubt about it. But Cotto performed quite well and also proved to me that one of the key things to beating Floyd is a good jab. When Cotto let go combinations he usually missed with the rights and left hooks but usually seemed to land the straight lefts when they were thrown as part of a combination. Dela Hoya's jab caused Mayweather a lot of problems too.

I truely feel that Mayweather is not as good as he was. When watching it I thought of Walshb's comment a while back about his legs not being as good as they were and there's no doubt he spent far longer on the ropes last night than I've ever seen him. I don't believe for a second it's because he was "toying with" Cotto as the terrible sycophantic commentary team kept saying. He just doesn't have the legs to keep moving away anymore. It happened Ali, Jones, etc. and now it's happening to him.

After that display I feel Pacman has a better chance than I thought previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Mayweather is the greatest boxer in the history of the sport, and he proved that last night. Anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Mayweather is the greatest boxer in the history of the sport, and he proved that last night. Anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.

Really?

I mean, he beat someone who he was meant to beat. I think he boxed very well, but beating Miguel Cotto in the manner he did doesn't change my opinion of Floyd. Great fighter Mayweather is. Not the GOAT, and will never be. I would even pick several WW fighters to beat him thru the years.

As for lower weights, no, he is one of the best ever at these lower weights.

megadodge wrote: »
    After that display I feel Pacman has a better chance than I thought previously.

Not so sure. Floyd's size and strength last night were quite impressive. Now, I know he will be 147 vs. Pac, but he has that size, strength advantage, as well as the speed and brain and style to be very problematic for Manny. A similar sized fighter with a good jab will test Mayweather. Cotto neglected his best weapon last night, the jab. I can't see Manny really testing Floyd. I have changed my view on this. Manny seems to have regressed that bit more. The fight is two years past it. Manny in late 2009-2010 had the best chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Really?

I mean, he beat someone who he was meant to beat.

Name one person with a more impressive career than Floyd Mayweather. Just one. Cotto was no bum - he is one of the greatest boxers alive today, and Mayweather made it look easy beating him.

Name one person with a more impressive career than Floyd Mayweather. Just one. Cotto was no bum - he is one of the greatest boxers alive today, and Mayweather made it look easy beating him.

He is undefeated. Several other champs were too. Anyway, I'm not saying that if one thinks he's the greatest then they are wrong. You are saying that if anyone thinks he in not the GOAT then they are wrong. Don't see how.

And, Cotto is no bum. Who said he was?

Manny made it even easier looking than Floyd, and that was a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭megadodge

Mayweather Roy Jones is the greatest boxer in the history of the sport. Anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.

Fixed that for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Roy Jones? Eh no.
    PBF>RJJ

PBF is deff an ATG- the greatest??? Not yet convinced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

He's not even the greatest welterweight of all time. Sugar Ray Leonard, Tommy Hearns and Sugar Ray Robinson would beat him for starters.

Advertisement