Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship Qualifiers

• 04-04-2012 7:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

With just under three weeks to go until the final and biggest event of the season, The World Championship, tomorrow sees the qualifying rounds for players ranked outside the top 16 begin their quest to get their name in the draw for the first round proper.

Here is the draw and schedule.

Qualifiers match schedule:

Thursday April 5

11am

Round Q1
    Q1) John Parrott v Patrick Wallace
    Q2) Joe Delaney v Stephen Rowlings
    Q3) Philip Minchin v Ian Stark
    Q4) Ali Bassiri v David Singh
    Q5) Jamie O'Neill v David Gray
    Q6) Les Dodd v Justin Astley

6pm

Round Q2
    Q7) WINNER OF MATCH Q1 v WINNER OF MATCH Q2
    Q8) WINNER OF MATCH Q3 v WINNER OF MATCH Q4
    Q9) Stephen Ormerod v WINNER OF MATCH Q5
    Q10) Del Smith v WINNER OF MATCH Q6

Friday April 6

Round 1

11am
    1) Igor Figueiredo v Qualifier 3

6pm
    Igor Figueiredo v Qualifier 3*

Saturday April 7

Round 2

10am
    2) Tian Pengfei v Adam Wicheard
    3) Joe Swail v Daniel Wells
    4) Liam Highfield v Matthew Couch
    5) Andrew Pagett v Aditya Mehta
    6) Li Yan v Paul Davison
    7) Yu DeLu v Qualifier 1

2.30pm
    8) Kurt Maflin v Cao Yupeng
    9) Andrew Norman v WINNER OF MATCH 1
    10) Ian McCulloch v Luca Brecel
    11) Sam Craigie v Qualifier 4

7pm
    2) Tian Pengfei v Adam Wicheard*
    3) Joe Swail v Daniel Wells*
    4) Liam Highfield v Matthew Couch*
    5) Andrew Pagett v Aditya Mehta*
    6) Li Yan v Paul Davison*
    7) Yu DeLu v Qualifier 1*

Sunday April 8

10am
    12) David Gilbert v Stuart Carrington
    13) Rod Lawler v Dechawat Poomjaeng
    14) David Morris v Kacper Filipiak
    15) Passakorn Suwannawat v Qualifier 2
    16) Sam Baird v David Grace
    17) Adam Duffy v Lucky Vatnani

2.30pm
    8) Kurt Maflin v Cao Yupeng*
    9) Andrew Norman v WINNER OF MATCH 1*
    10) Ian McCulloch v Luca Brecel*
    11) Sam Craigie v Qualifier 4*

7pm
    12) David Gilbert v Stuart Carrington*
    13) Rod Lawler v Dechawat Poomjaeng*
    14) David Morris v Kacper Filipiak*
    15) Passakorn Suwannawat v Qualifier 2*
    16) Sam Baird v David Grace*
    17) Adam Duffy v Lucky Vatnani*

Monday April 9

Round 3

10am
    18) Anthony McGill v WINNER OF MATCH 2
    19) Ben Woollaston v WINNER OF MATCH 3
    20) Andy Hicks v WINNER OF MATCH 4
    21) Xiao Guodong v WINNER OF MATCH 5
    22) James Wattana v WINNER OF MATCH 6
    23) Michael White v WINNER OF MATCH 7

2.30pm
    24) Dave Harold v WINNER OF MATCH 8
    25) Liu Song v WINNER OF MATCH 9
    26) Barry Pinches v WINNER OF MATCH 10
    27) Tony Drago v WINNER OF MATCH 11

7pm
    18) Anthony McGill v WINNER OF MATCH 2*
    19) Ben Woollaston v WINNER OF MATCH 3*
    20) Andy Hicks v WINNER OF MATCH 4*
    21) Xiao Guodong v WINNER OF MATCH 5*
    22) James Wattana v WINNER OF MATCH 6*
    23) Michael White v WINNER OF MATCH 7*

Tuesday April 10

10am
    28) Jimmy Robertson v WINNER OF MATCH 12
    29) Liu Chuang v WINNER OF MATCH 13
    30) Mark Joyce v WINNER OF MATCH 14
    31) Peter Lines v WINNER OF MATCH 15
    32) Alfie Burden v WINNER OF MATCH 16
    33) Adrian Gunnell v WINNER OF MATCH 17

2.30pm
    24) Dave Harold v WINNER OF MATCH 8*
    25) Liu Song v WINNER OF MATCH 9*
    26) Barry Pinches v WINNER OF MATCH 10*
    27) Tony Drago v WINNER OF MATCH 11*

7pm
    28) Jimmy Robertson v WINNER OF MATCH 12*
    29) Liu Chuang v WINNER OF MATCH 13*
    30) Mark Joyce v WINNER OF MATCH 14*
    31) Peter Lines v WINNER OF MATCH 15*
    32) Alfie Burden v WINNER OF MATCH 16*
    33) Adrian Gunnell v WINNER OF MATCH 17*

Wednesday April 11

Round 4

10am

34) Anthony Hamilton v WINNER OF MATCH 18
    35) Steve Davis v WINNER OF MATCH 19
    36) Jamie Jones v WINNER OF MATCH 20
    37) Robert Milkins v WINNER OF MATCH 21
    38) Gerard Greene v WINNER OF MATCH 22
    39) Matthew Selt v WINNER OF MATCH 23

2.30pm

40) Nigel Bond v WINNER OF MATCH 24
    41) Joe Jogia v WINNER OF MATCH 25
    42) Michael Holt v WINNER OF MATCH 26
    43) Liang Wenbo v WINNER OF MATCH 27

7pm
    34) Anthony Hamilton v WINNER OF MATCH 18*
    35) Steve Davis v WINNER OF MATCH 19*
    36) Jamie Jones v WINNER OF MATCH 20*
    37) Robert Milkins v WINNER OF MATCH 21*
    38) Gerard Greene v WINNER OF MATCH 22*
    39) Matthew Selt v WINNER OF MATCH 23*

Thursday April 12

10am

44) Mike Dunn v WINNER OF MATCH 28
    45) Jimmy White v WINNER OF MATCH 29
    46) Alan McManus v WINNER OF MATCH 30
    47) Rory McLeod v WINNER OF MATCH 31
    48) Jack Lisowski v WINNER OF MATCH 32
    49) Jamie Burnett v WINNER OF MATCH 33

2.30pm
    40) Nigel Bond v WINNER OF MATCH 24*
    41) Joe Jogia v WINNER OF MATCH 25*
    42) Michael Holt v WINNER OF MATCH 26*
    43) Liang Wenbo v WINNER OF MATCH 27*

7pm

44) Mike Dunn v WINNER OF MATCH 28*
    45) Jimmy White v WINNER OF MATCH 29*
    46) Alan McManus v WINNER OF MATCH 30*
    47) Rory McLeod v WINNER OF MATCH 31*
    48) Jack Lisowski v WINNER OF MATCH 32*
    49) Jamie Burnett v WINNER OF MATCH 33*

Friday April 13 - No play (table recovers)

Saturday April 14

Round 5

10am

50) Ken Doherty v WINNER OF MATCH 34
    52) Ricky Walden v WINNER OF MATCH 36
    53) Mark Davis v WINNER OF MATCH 37
    54) Ryan Day v WINNER OF MATCH 38
    56) Tom Ford v WINNER OF MATCH 40
    61) Jamie Cope v WINNER OF MATCH 45

2.30pm
    55) Stephen Hendry v WINNER OF MATCH 39
    57) Marco Fu v WINNER OF MATCH 41
    58) Mark King v WINNER OF MATCH 42
    59) Marcus Campbell v WINNER OF MATCH 43

7pm
    50) Ken Doherty v WINNER OF MATCH 34*
    52) Ricky Walden v WINNER OF MATCH 36*
    53) Mark Davis v WINNER OF MATCH 37*
    54) Ryan Day v WINNER OF MATCH 38*
    56) Tom Ford v WINNER OF MATCH 40*
    61) Jamie Cope v WINNER OF MATCH 45*

Sunday April 15

10am
    51) Dominic Dale v WINNER OF MATCH 35
    60) Fergal O'Brien v WINNER OF MATCH 44
    62) Barry Hawkins v WINNER OF MATCH 46
    63) Andrew Higginson v WINNER OF MATCH 47
    64) Peter Ebdon v WINNER OF MATCH 48
    65) Joe Perry v WINNER OF MATCH 49

2.30pm
    55) Stephen Hendry v WINNER OF MATCH 39*
    57) Marco Fu v WINNER OF MATCH 41*
    58) Mark King v WINNER OF MATCH 42*
    59) Marcus Campbell v WINNER OF MATCH 43*

7pm
    51) Dominic Dale v WINNER OF MATCH 35*
    60) Fergal O'Brien v WINNER OF MATCH 44*
    62) Barry Hawkins v WINNER OF MATCH 46*
    63) Andrew Higginson v WINNER OF MATCH 47*
    64) Peter Ebdon v WINNER OF MATCH 48*
    65) Joe Perry v WINNER OF MATCH 49*

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

1 JOHN PARROTT 0 v 5 PATRICK WALLACE
    2 JOE DELANEY v STEPHEN ROWLINGS
    3 PHILIP MINCHIN v BARRY STARK
    4 ALI BASSIRI 0 v 5 DAVID SINGH
    5 JAMIE O'NEILL v DAVID GRAY
    6 LES DODD 0 v 5 JUSTIN ASTLEY

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

After each losing their matches yesterday both Joe Swail and Ian McCulloch are now off the main tour next season?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Do you think David Norris has any chance this year?

Do you think David Norris has any chance this year?

Davy Morris has everything you need to be a top pro, the only thing that holds him back is the ammount of qualifying rounds he must play to reach the first round proper of events, I suppose it's the same for all pros but thats just the way it is now for players of a lower ranking.
    He still needs to win 3 more matches to reach the Cruicble and they don't come easy, today he plays Mark Joyce, something of a journeyman pro whos been around quite a while, if he wins next up will be Alan Mc Manus , no introduction needed there as McManus seems to have been around forever and has been recently practicing with John Higgins in preparation for his qualifying matches. Win those two and his final qualifying match will be against Shootout champion Barry Hawkins.
    It's a tough way to qualify but once there at the Cruicble as we all know anything can happen, he could draw a top seed, beat them and all of a sudden Davy Morris is box office!
    Good luck Davy.

Watching Norris play at the moment. Only the second time I've ever seen him play. He looks seriously good. Joyce has him under presseure in a lot of shots but he's not crippling under pressure or snookers. I hope he makes it to the televised rounds. He looks an all round great player, definitely top 32 material anyway in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Joyce is cracking atm. He looks seriously annoyed. He missed a relatively easy red to the left corner, missed and whipped his cue against the table. Must have cracked. I wouldn't mind but this year is seen as a breakthrough year for Joyce, making his first TV appearance and toppling some great players in the process.

I'm really enjoying this match. Morris seems like an excellent safety player.

Watching Norris play at the moment. Only the second time I've ever seen him play. He looks seriously good. Joyce has him under presseure in a lot of shots but he's not crippling under pressure or snookers. I hope he makes it to the televised rounds. He looks an all round great player, definitely top 32 material anyway in my opinion.

Morris currently 5-1 up and looking good for a meeting with Alan McManus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Nuts102

Watched the last session tonight and it was a poor match. Either Joyce backed himself to lose or his confidence must be gone never seen a pro so poor. Moriss will need to improve to beat McManus but hopefully he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Thanks lads - are ye at the qualifiers themselves, or is it being broadcast somewhere?

Muppet Man

Awesome maximum by Robert Milkins! That's 2 now so far.

Also I agree with the Morris match. I reckon the pressure was just getting to them. I personally thought the afternoon session was great. Evening session was just poor.

• Advertisement

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Thanks lads - are ye at the qualifiers themselves, or is it being broadcast somewhere?

Muppet Man

Muppet Man i dont think i can send you a link so i will PM you a site too watch the snooker on.

Awesome maximum by Robert Milkins! That's 2 now so far.

Also I agree with the Morris match. I reckon the pressure was just getting to them. I personally thought the afternoon session was great. Evening session was just poor.

He is going to have to improve to beat McManus. I noticed when he missed a ball he was making faces and showing signs of frustration and things like this give your opponents confidence. Joyce had a chance in almost every frame i watched in the last session but was awful. If he does the same against McManus he hasnt a hope. At amatuer level he was an unbelievable break builder but he doesnt score heavily enough on the pro tour. I think he needs a good run or he could be off the tour so hope he wins his next match.

I'm heading over on Fri eve for Kens match on Saturday, he could face Anthony Hamilton to qualify for the Cruicble.
    I hope he fairs better than when I went last year when he lost 10-6 to jimmy Robertson when leading 6-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

zack01 wrote: »
    I'm heading over on Fri eve for Kens match on Saturday, he could face Anthony Hamilton to qualify for the Cruicble.
    I hope he fairs better than when I went last year when he lost 10-6 to jimmy Robertson when leading 6-3.

Yeah dont jinx him again or your off the traveling circuit!. GL over there. I presume Ken steps up his practice regime before the qualifiers?. What type of time does Ken seem to be putting into practice at a time like this nowadays?.

Yeah dont jinx him again or your off the traveling circuit!. GL over there. I presume Ken steps up his practice regime before the qualifiers?. What type of time does Ken seem to be putting into practice at a time like this nowadays?.

He went to Sheffield this morn to prepare, plenty of practice partners over there this week.
    I'd imagine 5-6 hours a day this week.

Things beginning to heat up in the qualifiers and some well known names went out yesterday.Six times champion Steve Davis fell to Ben Woolaston who now meets Dominic Dale to qualify, although we'll still see Davis in Sheffield anyway working for the BBC, previous cruicble semi finalists James Wattana and Andy Hicks both went out while Anthony Hamilton finally saw off Anthony McGill 10-8 to earn a tie with Ken Doherty for the right to play in the Cruicble.

Highlight of the day was arguably Robert Milkins making a 147 during his victory over Xiao Guodong.

Today sees Davy Morris continue his run against Alan McManus, while i'm sure all eyes will be on the Whirlwind as he plays the first of his two possible matches to qualify, his first today is against a dangerous opponent Liu Chuang.
    A match that i'll have my eye on today will be Jack Lisowski v Alfie Burden, two exciting young players, albeit Burden seems to have been around a long time, a career that has seen him lose his place on the main tour , then win the world amateur championship to gain his card back versus Lisowski who practices daily with Trump and O'Sullivan at the Grove in Essex.
    One match i would'nt fancy watching is Rory McLeod v Peter Lines, i don't expect that to be too exciting!!

All matches play to a finish today with no play tomorrow as the tables are recovered in time for the final round of matches on Saturday and Sunday.

I had only seen a small bit of Luca Brecel before today and i thought he was overrated and a bit petulant. Watching him today what a talent. His bottle and nerve under so much pressure was sensational was for a player only turned 17 a few weeks ago. I actually fancy him to beat Mark King and become the youngest player to play in the World Championships.

Another legend falls tonight and this time it's six times finalist Jimmy White as he loses 10-8 to Liu Chuang.

Ireland's Davy Morris is currently level at 7-7 with Alan McManus.

Morris wins 10-7 and plays Barry Hawkins for a place in the Cruicble draw on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭spirit_77

morris any good?

• Advertisement

Great win for Moriss tonight wasnt a classic but you got to battle tough to beat Alan McManus. Well what an exciting tournament with so many young players into the last stage.

Jamie Jones, Yu De Lu, Moriss, Cao Yupeng, Luca Brecel, Lui Chuang and Ben Woolaston. Be great if a few of them could qualify. Would be great to see new players qualify. Qualifying for the biggest tournament of the year is only going to bring these players on and benefit the game.

spirit_77 wrote: »
    morris any good?

A poor match but thats just going by live scoring. Not many breaks but McManus is famous for matches like this. He cleared up 50 odd and 60 odd in the last two frames so showed good bottle. Going to have to score heavier to beat Hawkings but his confidence must be high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

disappointed to see jimmy and davis beaten. jimmy did have a few chances against chuang. i saw a bit of the game where jimmy took the lead at 7-6 and was looking good at one stage. he would have a great chance against cope. :(

Nuts102 wrote: »
    A poor match but thats just going by live scoring. Not many breaks but McManus is famous for matches like this. He cleared up 50 odd and 60 odd in the last two frames so showed good bottle. Going to have to score heavier to beat Hawkings but his confidence must be high.

it will be tough for davy but he has a good chance. hawkins is in decent form unlike some of the other qualifiers this weekend.

I had only seen a small bit of Luca Brecel before today and i thought he was overrated and a bit petulant. Watching him today what a talent. His bottle and nerve under so much pressure was sensational was for a player only turned 17 a few weeks ago. I actually fancy him to beat Mark King and become the youngest player to play in the World Championships.

yeah luca is the real deal and he looked so impressive against holt, like a seasoned pro he was.

Any news on how Ken is playing Zack. Thinking of doing a coupon and Doherty looks decent at 10/11. Hamilton struggled to overcome Anthony McGill. Also Ryan Dyan has had a poor season but 8/13 to beat a poor Gerard Greene. Looking at Milkins to beat Mark Davis at Evs also should be buzzing after that 147. I know this is not a betting forum Zack but you seem to know a bit about the pro game.

disappointed to see jimmy and davis beaten. jimmy did have a few chances against chuang. i saw a bit of the game where jimmy took the lead at 7-6 and was looking good at one stage. he would have a great chance against cope. :(

I think he would have beat Cope. Cope has been terrible all year and i fancy Chuang to beat him.

I think he would have beat Cope. Cope has been terrible all year and i fancy Chuang to beat him.

same here, cope has gone backwards big time this season. i just can't see him getting it together this weekend. chuang looked very solid agains jimmy. jimmy didnt actually play that bad, but liu upped his game in the last few frames

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Davy has everything necessary to become a top 32 player. He can score heavily, good safety and has a good temperament. I dont think head-shaking can be a gauge of temperament - John Parrot was infamous as a head-shaker and had a great career!!

It's the same with all of them - they all need that bit of luck to push up the rankings. It was the same with Martin Gould, Judd Trump, Shaun Murphy....they all dropped off the Main Tour at various times until they got that 1 good run to propel them up the rankings. It's a lot harder to get up to the top 32 than it is to stay there.

Hawkins is a tough match but they all are, anybody who thinks there is an easy draw these days is deluded! No easy draws anymore, those days are long gone!!! He'll be 2nd favourite to win but more than capable of doing it!

• Advertisement

Davy has everything necessary to become a top 32 player. He can score heavily, good safety and has a good temperament. I dont think head-shaking can be a gauge of temperament - John Parrot was infamous as a head-shaker and had a great career!!

It's the same with all of them - they all need that bit of luck to push up the rankings. It was the same with Martin Gould, Judd Trump, Shaun Murphy....they all dropped off the Main Tour at various times until they got that 1 good run to propel them up the rankings. It's a lot harder to get up to the top 32 than it is to stay there.

Hawkins is a tough match but they all are, anybody who thinks there is an easy draw these days is deluded! No easy draws anymore, those days are long gone!!! He'll be 2nd favourite to win but more than capable of doing it!

He doesnt have what it takes to be a top 32 player imo he doesnt score heavy enough. He is also not playing better players that will improve your game. Lisowski, Trump, Jones and all the Chineese youngsters are far more likely to reach the top 32. They are playing in the academy every day against top pro's. Lisowski practices with Trump. The Chinese players practice with Ding. Michael White and Jamie Jones practice with Williams. I hope im wrong but i think the players playing in England are far more likely to make the big breakthrough. Who knows if Moriss beats Hawkins and gets on tv it may be the start of him moving up the rankings and i hope he does.

Advertisement