Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pacquiao v Mayweather

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

StevePH wrote: »
    It still stands that if Mayweather really wanted to keep his P4P reputation (which I believe he favours more than any belt), he would face, at the FIRST opportunity, the man who took that place.

Before the Marquez fight, Floyd has never wanted any part of Manny.

See this is the sticking point, i believe neither wanted the fight at that time as they could earn good money before that match, assuming both kept winning they'd still get the big fight anyway and what a way to sign out with the biggest grossing fight of all time.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭HovaBaby

Why do you guys think Mayweather never fought a prime Barrera or Morales?

HovaBaby wrote: »

they where not in the same weight categorary at the times, them fights where not even options..

• Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Well, because it was never a real option. Look at the timelines involved. Anyway, I have no doubt that he beats both convincingly at 130 lbs.

Those two lads were peak at 122-126. Floyd's first title was at 130 lbs. Floyd is at least one weight naturally bigger than these lads. Those lads were competing as 122-126 lb fighters when Floyd won his title at 130 lbs.

Floyd went to 135 lbs in 2001/2002 I think, these lads were still at 126 lbs then. It never made sense for them to ever meet. Floyd then moved up and up, and MAB and Morales were already on the slide by then.

Looks like The Ghost is getting a crack. Should be a great scrap, a LW vs. a WW!

http://thesweetscience.com/news/articles-frontpage/13901-floyd-mayyweather-robert-guerrero-almost-signed-sealedmarkarian

Well, because it was never a real option. Look at the timelines involved. Anyway, I have no doubt that he beats both convincingly at 130 lbs.

Those two lads were peak at 122-126. Floyd's first title was at 130 lbs. Floyd is at least one weight naturally bigger than these lads. Those lads were competing as 122-126 lb fighters when Floyd won his title at 130 lbs.

Floyd went to 135 lbs in 2001/2002 I think, these lads were still at 126 lbs then. It never made sense for them to ever meet. Floyd then moved up and up, and MAB and Morales were already on the slide by then.

Looks like The Ghost is getting a shot. A LW vs. a WW. Should be a great scrap.

http://thesweetscience.com/news/articles-frontpage/13901-floyd-mayyweather-robert-guerrero-almost-signed-sealedmarkarian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Why is Floyd taking that fight when Manny is so vocal about wanting to fight? It seems that the timing of BOTH Manny and Floyd's comments are always off.

As for Guerrero, I like him but he doesn't pose a serious threat to Floyd. He has a suspect chin IMO, he's not very powerful, he misses with a lot of shots etc.. Floyd will jab him all night long.

I like The Ghost and think he is a very very good LW fighter. Problem is that he is not big enough or strong enough to impose anything on Floyd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭HovaBaby

walshb wrote: »

Would it have been feasible for Morales/Barrerra to add on 5lbs and Mayweather to take off 5lbs?

Would it have been feasible for Morales/Barrerra to add on 5lbs and Mayweather to take off 5lbs?

No. Think of it, aged 19 or 20 Floyd was weighing 125 lbs in Atlanta '96. He was growing and maturing; no way he can stunt this and go backwards at that age (as in drop from 130 or drop from 135). He could only move up. The only way was for MAB or Morales to go to 130 lbs in 1998/1999/2000. But, at that time both were 122-126 lbs. They could have gone up, and both would have been beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Barrera and Morales were great fighters but both are tailor made for Floyd, especially Erik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Back Prince

From Mayweather's Facebook

Floyd Mayweather
    Manny Pacquiao I'm calling you out let's fight May 5th and give the world what they want to see. My Jail Sentence was pushed back because the date was locked in. Step up Punk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

lets get it on # moneyteam

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

lets get it on # moneyteam

This isn't twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Hopefully they can get over their differences to agree for the fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tryingmybestt

fingers crossed it happens and it doesn't become one of the most famous future fantasy match ups of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

From Mayweather's Facebook

Floyd Mayweather
    Manny Pacquiao I'm calling you out let's fight May 5th and give the world what they want to see. My Jail Sentence was pushed back because the date was locked in. Step up Punk.

Fantastic, although I'm not sure those FB and twitter accounts are actually ran by him. Hopefully they are.

If both want it so bad, it should be that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

moneyman wrote: »
    Fantastic, although I'm not sure those FB and twitter accounts are actually ran by him. Hopefully they are.

If both want it so bad, it should be that simple.

Dunno about FB but I reckon that he is at least partly in charge of his Twitter account. I reckon he's one of the only people in the world that flashes around money like he does. I can;t imagine it'd be the first thing that a PR man would do anyway, so as I see it it has to be him putting up some of the tweets anyway.

It's ridiculous the bets that he puts on. 400,000 to win 333,333. Who in their right mind does that. Shows that he's not short of the money anyway so hopefully he doesn't go haggling over it with Pacman.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So Bob Arum can't get his story straight but is basically saying that the fight could not happen in May and not until June when Mayweather has to do time.

Arum doesn't get on with anybody in the Mayweather camp, not the man himself, not his promoters, not his trainers. He wants as much money as he can get out of Pacquaio everytime he fights and this fight would possibly be his last if it happened regardless of the result. Thats why this fight might never happen. Not because of the boxers but a greedy promoter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

12 element wrote: »
    This isn't twitter.
    # moneyteam

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Just now from Mayweathers twitter

I'm ready to put my belt up. What about you Manny Pacquiao? Let's make history. http://lockerz.com/s/173587000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Zander1983

is mayweather heavier? he looks much heavier

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭weemcd

Manny Pacquiao Answers Floyd Mayweather, Says Fight On May 5 Doesn't Make Sense

MANILA, Philippines -- Manny Pacquiao's camp says there is no economic sense in setting up a bout with Floyd Mayweather on May 5 after the unbeaten American publicly challenged the Filipino champion via Twitter.

Pacquiao's financial adviser Michael Koncz told The Associated Press on Thursday that a 45,000-seat boxing arena being built in Las Vegas won't be finished before the end of May and staging the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight in a smaller venue is "foolish from an economic standpoint."

Mayweather challenged and taunted Pacquiao to a May 5 bout in a tweet on Tuesday.
    huffingtonpost

weemcd wrote: »

The real money is made on sponsorship, Television PPV etc, this is a bluff to put the fight off and get Manny another 2 or so pay days before Floyd retires him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭weemcd

Really getting to the point of not caring now. I had stuck up for Pac in the past, but this fight loses appeal by the day, Floyd fights again, then goes to the slammer, another year will easily pass without this fight happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

cowzerp wrote: »
    The real money is made on sponsorship, Television PPV etc, this is a bluff to put the fight off and get Manny another 2 or so pay days before Floyd retires him.

This is precisely it.

How anyone can claim it does not make financial sense is beyond me.

If this fight doesn't happen the sport of pro boxing is a complete laughing stock.

Arum is the major problem here, his cash cow will grind to a halt.

they will fight in another 2 years when Manny is totally shot and it will mean nothing only more $$$$$ for Arum.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭rich1874

Q. You’ve also trained actors and other athletes, including Mickey Rourke, who tried boxing as a career; Shaquille O’Neal; and Mark Wahlberg, for movie and television roles. Which celebrity had the most potential to succeed in boxing?

A. I’ve been making some noise about Wahlberg and Mario Lopez fighting each other. They both train in my gym. They’re both very good. Mario has fought six exhibition fights in my gym. He’s 6-0 with six knockouts. He trains everyday, just like a fighter. Wahlberg has his own gym. I would like to get them together for a charity bout. That would be fun.

Screw Pacman-Mayweather, i wanna see a Lopez-Wahlberg fight!

Why the sudden urge now with Floyd?

What about drugs, do those tests that Floyd wants still apply?

Guerrero I hear is out of the reckoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

eagle eye wrote: »
    Arum doesn't get on with anybody in the Mayweather camp, not the man himself, not his promoters, not his trainers. He wants as much money as he can get out of Pacquaio everytime he fights and this fight would possibly be his last if it happened regardless of the result. Thats why this fight might never happen. Not because of the boxers but a greedy promoter.
    I'm pretty sure we'd be seeing a Pacquaio V Mayweather rematch and maybe even a third installment so long as the fights weren't completely one sided. Plenty of money to be milked from this cow yet.

Pighead wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure we'd be seeing a Pacquaio V Mayweather rematch and maybe even a third installment so long as the fights weren't completely one sided. Plenty of money to be milked from this cow yet.

It would be though. All in pbf's favour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭colly10

In another year even fewer people will care and if their both shot I will be boycotting it, so it will loose even more money due to stalling.
    I couldn't give a **** about either of them, the sooner they retire the better in my mind.
    They're a circus act now, nobody cares anymore and i'm sick to death of reading about them

Advertisement