Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Superman Returns

• 10-02-2005 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭

JUNE 30th 2006

Bring it on!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

i dunno....

don't like the idea of kevin spacey as lex luthor, or kate bosworth as lois lane. the guy playing superman might be alright, though. have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Bryan Singer didn't do a bad job with the Xmen films so this one should be pretty good. But Hugh Laurie as Perry White? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Cool. Looking forward to it.

Don't really know what to expect tbh.. I agree with the casting concerns - Hugh Laurie in particular (!?), and I'm not that crazy about Bryan Singer either. Still, could be great.

...that poster is fan art btw - although it is quite good. See here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Goodshape wrote:
    Cool. Looking forward to it.

Don't really know what to expect tbh.. I agree with the casting concerns - Hugh Laurie in particular (!?), and I'm not that crazy about Bryan Singer either. Still, could be great.

...that poster is fan art btw - although it is quite good. See here.

Yeah, I know it's fan art but it's always nice to have a visual. I am slightly concerned with the Hugh Laurie and Spacey roles.... I liked Superman 2 a lot but I feel that there's just too much stupid camp comedy going on in it. There was talk of Richard Donner releasing what he wanted to do with two...there was a big petition and everything. Fingers crossed for a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I knew they'd do this, Chris Reeves, is still warm in his grave for Gods sake. those scabby movie studios probably killed him so they could cash in on the superman franchise again, especially with recient sucess of other comic book characters/heroes.

• Advertisement

They've been trying to get this project going for a very long time actually. Tim Burton was once attached to direct - among many others. Christopher Reeves was also going to have a cameo at one stage - and didn't he infact have a guest role on Smallville?

Spacedog wrote:
    I knew they'd do this, Chris Reeves, is still warm in his grave for Gods sake. those scabby movie studios probably killed him so they could cash in on the superman franchise again, especially with recient sucess of other comic book characters/heroes.

This has been planned for years and years. Mr. Reeve was even going to be involved in some production capacity before his passing away. I agree with you on the whole comic thing, I mean it's not gonna be too long before we see Bunty get the 100 million dollar treatment but Superman is the original and the best (my opinion - relax) so I say again...Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Woah, I like Hugh Laurie, but as Perry White? That sounds awful. But I'm willing to put some trust in Bryan Singer, the two X-men films were quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Goodshape wrote:
    They've been trying to get this project going for a very long time actually. Tim Burton was once attached to direct - among many others. Christopher Reeves was also going to have a cameo at one stage - and didn't he infact have a guest role on Smallville?

Yeh he played some scientist afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Does anybody know anything about the basic plot? I heard that they were pretty much just remaking the original film. IMO they should have stuck with the Kevin Smith script about the Doomsday character (he's the one who killed Superman).

• Advertisement

I read a plot summary somewhere... not sure how up to date it was, but I after reading it I felt it gave away a bit too much. I'll see if I can dig it up...

here it it...
    Jor-El sends his son, Kal-El, to the planet Earth, where he is taken in by Pa and Ma Kent, eventually growing up to become a hero called Superman, who soon finds himself fighting, kung-fu-in-the-sky style, other Kryptonians who share the superpowers he gets from being under our yellow sun, one of whom is his cousin. Kal-El dies in action, but then comes back. Kal-El's quest for the truth about what the other Kryptonians are doing on Earth eventually leads him to confront a CIA agent named... Lex Luthor.

If that's true, it doesn't sound too much like the original. In fact some of it sounds quite differint from what I know of any Superman.
    Maybe 'his cousin' will turn out to be Supergirl? - just think of the tie-in possibilites!! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

jomanji wrote:
    Does anybody know anything about the basic plot? I heard that they were pretty much just remaking the original film.
    Not what I heard. Apparently, in terms of continuity, it's set some time after what occured in Superman II. The writers have no interest in seeing Superman establish himself in the world because that work is being done, in some from, in "Smallville". In the new movie everyone will know who he is and he'll know about his heritage and Krypton, etc.

That sounds like a good enough idea ixoy.

Although I also heard they were planing on axing Smallville ahead of time so as not to get people confused with the two differint versions of events - ie. the film will have no ties with the TV show.

I suppose with any film that's been in development for as long as this has, there's always going to be differint and conflicting ideas as to what the storys actually is. We're just going to have to wait and see.

One thing I do know is that they are filming parts of the film in an idealic location that's gonna be smallville so I wonder what manner of a plot would bring him back there...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

Kevin Spacey always makes a good bad guy and i think he is a good chioce for a film version of Lex luthur. People who only watch films will be used to gean hackman so kevin spacey is not a million miles away from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

People who only watch films will be used to gean hackman so kevin spacey is not a million miles away from that.
    And thats not a problem? To me, Luthor was ever a serious character in those movies, he was more like a comic relief who also happened to be the bad guy... Not the way to go about it, he needs to be a proper threat.

And thats not a problem? To me, Luthor was ever a serious character in those movies, he was more like a comic relief who also happened to be the bad guy... Not the way to go about it, he needs to be a proper threat.

Here Here.

(Why does the image of his bald cameo in Austin Powers Goldmember keep coming back to me?)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Agreed re: Luthor as a threat. He's more effective in Smallville - already more menace in Lex and he hasn't even turned to the dark side yet. Lionel was far better as well, capable of doing anything and doing it magnificently. Something like that ought to work, assuming they're taking the material seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Hell, even "Lois and Clark" managed to get Luthor better than the movies did :p

I've not been following Smallville as best as I could (usually due to bad schedules by RTE) but I have really enjoyed what I've seen of it, in spite of coming in in the middle of the last series RTE had (which finished with Lionel being thrown in the slammer). Going to have to start getting it on DVD...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Wasn't sure about Spacey either, but as has been said, anyone but Gene Hackman!!!

I'm happy to trust Singer though, I can't see this being even remotely camp or stupid, he was able to make X Men dark enough while still making it mainstream (and he threw a few laughs in too)

flogen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Zoton

afaik Hugh Laurie was cast on the strength of his performance in some american show/theatre production which required him to have an america accent, so i'd say he should be ok. Apparently James Marsen (?) who played cyclops in x-men wont be brought back for x-men 3 because he's taking a minor role as Perry White's son in Superman Returns

Advertisement