Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Carthy303

Rebel Fan wrote: »
    I thought ye won that game??? If you're having a go at the Pairc I suggest you have a look at the "home of hurling's" ground before you criticise any other ground but sin sceal eile!

Cork v Mayo game is on at 4 o clock on Sunday, Kerry and Limerick up first at 2. One criticism of our own I have to make is the very small number of our supporters that were in Croke Park last Saturday. A jackeen steward was slagging me off in the Cusack stand "Jaysus there's only a half a dozen of ye here today!!!" I know alot of people didn't travel due to the unusual late start but I hope to God there will be more of us there on Sunday, expect Mayo to be there in droves as this is their All Ireland Final.

Very bad news about Goulding coming out, he's out for Sunday and the county management will monitor it on a week to week basis. He's got 4 weeks to get ready for the Kerry game presuming we win on Sunday. O Driscoll also out for the rest of the season, really starting to worry about all these injuries now. In fairness he wasn't missed on Saturday but Down just gave up after half time.

In fairness you can't expect a strong Cork crowd to travel two weeks in a row to Dublin..It aint cheap..Also as you pointed out the late start on a saturday would have put alot of people off!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I thought ye won that game??? If you're having a go at the Pairc I suggest you have a look at the "home of hurling's" ground before you criticise any other ground but sin sceal eile

Ah come on now rebel you cant defend the indefensible, Pairc Ui Chaoimh is not only a dump it is actually a health hazard and what issues have you with Semple Stadium??

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Rebel Fan

Ah come on now rebel you cant defend the indefensible, Pairc Ui Chaoimh is not only a dump it is actually a health hazard and what issues have you with Semple Stadium??

Now when did I defend the Pairc??? It's a delapidated ground I agree but to call it a dump and a health hazard is disgraceful on your part. The County Board are currently looking at ways of redeveloping the ground but with the way things are at the minute it's a long way off. Also with Pairc Ui Rinn used for alot of county games the use of the Pairc is becoming less frequent. As for Semple Stadium, well have you ever been on the Town End Terrace, it's a dump and a serious health hazard. Ever try to go to the toilet at half time?, no facilities whatsoever and fans urinating everywhere. Ever try to buy a drink or food, you have to walk halfway down a field to a series of Portakabins. Need I say more.........

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

When was the last time you were in semple rebel fan?.Its been redeveloped recently so cant see any foundation for your claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Always found semple a far nicer stadium than Pairc Ui Caoimh and I'm a Corkman.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

gpf101 wrote: »
    Always found semple a far nicer stadium than Pairc Ui Caoimh and I'm a Corkman.

The seating in Pairc Ui Chaoimh in the stand is brutally tight, a real health and safety hazard. Were the plans for the new Stadium boom dependent or will it ever get off the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I cant argue with that....Any Cork fan that thinks or stadium is any way decent has never been to another stadium.

Like I've already said I'm not defending the Pairc, I have said previously that it's a delapidated ground that needs major renovations. Last time I was in Thurles was the Munster Final last year, if it's been done up since then then fair enough, can't argue with that.

Carthy303 wrote: »
    In fairness you can't expect a strong Cork crowd to travel two weeks in a row to Dublin..It aint cheap..Also as you pointed out the late start on a saturday would have put alot of people off!

In fairness I wouldn't expect a big Cork following even if the games were 4 weeks apart. Most Cork people will now just expect us to beat Mayo and hold back for the semi, our footballers have always been poorly supported. It's a shame that such a good team will be outnumbered in support, granted it'll be Mayo's All Ireland Final and they'll travel in droves. I fully accept the point about the cost of going to games, I took my wife and 2 kids to the match on Saturday, 200 euro wouldn't have been enough, I've taken my son to Anfield overnight for the same price. I'll be going alone this Sunday (Might be able to enjoy a few pints now!!!) Couldn't take all 4 again, and I'm travelling from Belfast, can't imagine the cost of train tickets, match tickets etc... if coming from Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

In fairness I wouldn't expect a big Cork following even if the games were 4 weeks apart. Most Cork people will now just expect us to beat Mayo and hold back for the semi, our footballers have always been poorly supported. It's a shame that such a good team will be outnumbered in support, granted it'll be Mayo's All Ireland Final and they'll travel in droves. I fully accept the point about the cost of going to games, I took my wife and 2 kids to the match on Saturday, 200 euro wouldn't have been enough, I've taken my son to Anfield overnight for the same price. I'll be going alone this Sunday (Might be able to enjoy a few pints now!!!) Couldn't take all 4 again, and I'm travelling from Belfast, can't imagine the cost of train tickets, match tickets etc... if coming from Cork

I wouldn't be so sure about this being "Mayo's All-Ireland", can't see a whole load of Mayo fans travelling for this one. Expectations won't be too high for the match and traditionally Mayo fans really start travelling for the semi-finals onwards! You could say that for most teams though, I would expect Croker to be about half-full on Sunday. Travelling from Belfast as well? Tis handy for the Croker matches!

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be so sure about this being "Mayo's All-Ireland", can't see a whole load of Mayo fans travelling for this one. Expectations won't be too high for the match and traditionally Mayo fans really start travelling for the semi-finals onwards! You could say that for most teams though, I would expect Croker to be about half-full on Sunday. Travelling from Belfast as well? Tis handy for the Croker matches!

Ya it's a handy journey down the road, less than 2 hours by car or train, also the train isn't packed unless there's a northern team playing, a good bar carriage on board as well and the prices aren't too strong!. Wouldn't mind travelling up from Cork on the train on Sunday though, there'll be a good mix of Cork/Kerry and Limerick fans on board and the craic and banter should be very interesting! If Cork or Kerry were to lose on Sunday it'd be some journey home!

Ya it's a handy journey down the road, less than 2 hours by car or train, also the train isn't packed unless there's a northern team playing, a good bar carriage on board as well and the prices aren't too strong!. Wouldn't mind travelling up from Cork on the train on Sunday though, there'll be a good mix of Cork/Kerry and Limerick fans on board and the craic and banter should be very interesting! If Cork or Kerry were to lose on Sunday it'd be some journey home!

Never took the train, always either drove or took the bus. Must check that bar out sometime.

You must find it annoying not being able to get TV3 in the north, only got the first half of the Connacht final over some rubbish stream. Down game was on TV3 as well?

Disgraceful how the GAA don't broadcast the games over the net to areas that don't receive the Irish channels but that's another discussion I suppose

Never took the train, always either drove or took the bus. Must check that bar out sometime.

You must find it annoying not being able to get TV3 in the north, only got the first half of the Connacht final over some rubbish stream. Down game was on TV3 as well?

Disgraceful how the GAA don't broadcast the games over the net to areas that don't receive the Irish channels but that's another discussion I suppose

Our local GAA club (Loughinisland) have TV3 so it's not too bad, depending on where you are up here you can get it on an RTE aerial, I'm near the foot of the Mournes so we have no chance, at least you get RTE on Sky so it's not all bad. Would recommend the bar on The Enterprise train, good comfortable seats, high stools and a good atmosphere on matchday. If you're taking the train on Sunday I'll be the one with the bottles of Harp lined up beside the Smirnoff and about 5 newspapers, and don't forget the home-made ham sandwiches, couldn't beat it with a big stick!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Stinicker wrote: »
    The seating in Pairc Ui Chaoimh in the stand is brutally tight, a real health and safety hazard. Were the plans for the new Stadium boom dependent or will it ever get off the ground?

I don't know to be honest. There was a lot of talk about it about a year ago but it's gone quiet again.

Our local GAA club (Loughinisland) have TV3 so it's not too bad, depending on where you are up here you can get it on an RTE aerial, I'm near the foot of the Mournes so we have no chance, at least you get RTE on Sky so it's not all bad. Would recommend the bar on The Enterprise train, good comfortable seats, high stools and a good atmosphere on matchday. If you're taking the train on Sunday I'll be the one with the bottles of Harp lined up beside the Smirnoff and about 5 newspapers, and don't forget the home-made ham sandwiches, couldn't beat it with a big stick!!!

Won't be getting the train Sunday, will most likely be driving, will probably end up in the Hill 16 pub trying to get in ahead of all the langers shouting for their Beamish. Enjoy the match and bring plenty of the ham sandwiches, price of a hot chicken baguette in Croker is shocking!

Won't be getting the train Sunday, will most likely be driving, will probably end up in the Hill 16 pub trying to get in ahead of all the langers shouting for their Beamish. Enjoy the match and bring plenty of the ham sandwiches, price of a hot chicken baguette in Croker is shocking!

Ya prices in Croke Park are ridiculous, 4.30 for a stone cold hot dog, 3.00 for a slush puppy for the kids, 2.50 for a bottle of water. Can't beat The Metro on matchday, it's a great Cork pub and the banter is great, Jonty and co provide the pre-match entertainment and its crubeens all round! You appreciate it more when you don't live in your native county!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Semple is a wonderful stadium - though parts were in bad need of development , especially at the Town End as was pointed out, ht there was an absolute joke if you wanted to go to the bog - crazy would be an understatement. Haven't been there this year so I can't comment on and work done. It is still miles ahead of the Park though, which is of course badly in need of development.
    Their ticket shop was vastly overwhelmed a few years ago as they decided to print a ticket when someone asked for it - instead of having them at hand to sell. The queues were an absolute joke that day. I missed the first 15 mins of the Clare match - the one where it kicked off coming out of the tunnel - not impressed I can tell you.
    Still love Thurles though - my favourite trip for a big match.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Semple is a wonderful stadium - though parts were in bad need of development , especially at the Town End as was pointed out, ht there was an absolute joke if you wanted to go to the bog - crazy would be an understatement. Haven't been there this year so I can't comment on and work done. It is still miles ahead of the Park though, which is of course badly in need of development.
    Their ticket shop was vastly overwhelmed a few years ago as they decided to print a ticket when someone asked for it - instead of having them at hand to sell. The queues were an absolute joke that day. I missed the first 15 mins of the Clare match - the one where it kicked off coming out of the tunnel - not impressed I can tell you.
    Still love Thurles though - my favourite trip for a big match.

Ya you can't beat the trip to Tipp on Munster Final day, I love the atmosphere in the square before the game, especially Cork/Tipp games. Because Thurles is a small enough town everything is pretty central, unlike Dublin or Cork where the crowds are all over the city. I've said it many a time to my northern brethren up here that a Munster final in Thurles is better than an All-Ireland Final in Dublin, it's a no contest IMO

Unfortunately I'd have to agree with you.Cork football fans will only travel in their droves to Killarney and The AI Semi-Final and Final.Even as AI champions we couldnt draw decent crowds to league games this year.

And as for taking your son to Anfield?Now why would you put him through that?:eek::eek::p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

I think a lot of the problem about the Cork football support is that it's stronghold is west Cork and I for one wouldn't fancy an 8 hourish round trip if not more to see a qualifier game from Bantry to Croker.

• Advertisement

Browney7 wrote: »
    I think a lot of the problem about the Cork football support is that it's stronghold is west Cork and I for one wouldn't fancy an 8 hourish round trip if not more to see a qualifier game from Bantry to Croker.

Very good point there..If your driving from Bantry to Dublin,Mitchelstown is about your half way mark..Long day!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Very good point there..If your driving from Bantry to Dublin,Mitchelstown is about your half way mark..Long day!

I completely agree and to think that maybe Cork and Kerry or Limerick may have to meet in an All-Ireland semi-final in Croker is tough for both sets of fans, the train takes 4 hours from Tralee and you could be looking at a 4.5 hour journey for supporters from say Castletownbere or Valentia Island. Semple stadium in Thurles would be the logical venue for the All-Ireland semi-final between Cork and either Kerry or Limerick, providing Cork beats Mayo. It can hold over 50,000 and has held All-Ireland finals before, this idea of going to Dublin for every big match is a joke and is all geared towards the businesses in Dublin and screw the country man every time. An All-Ireland semi-final in Thurles would be unique and the sort of thing the GAA used to be about until it became a corporate cash cow blinded by political correctness and greed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Stinicker wrote: »
    I completely agree and to think that maybe Cork and Kerry or Limerick may have to meet in an All-Ireland semi-final in Croker is tough for both sets of fans, the train takes 4 hours from Tralee and you could be looking at a 4.5 hour journey for supporters from say Castletownbere or Valentia Island. Semple stadium in Thurles would be the logical venue for the All-Ireland semi-final between Cork and either Kerry or Limerick, providing Cork beats Mayo. It can hold over 50,000 and has held All-Ireland finals before, this idea of going to Dublin for every big match is a joke and is all geared towards the businesses in Dublin and screw the country man every time. An All-Ireland semi-final in Thurles would be unique and the sort of thing the GAA used to be about until it became a corporate cash cow blinded by political correctness and greed.

At a guess, that's the first of 2668 posts that I could agree with from you.:D

Unfortunately I'd have to agree with you.Cork football fans will only travel in their droves to Killarney and The AI Semi-Final and Final.Even as AI champions we couldnt draw decent crowds to league games this year.

And as for taking your son to Anfield?Now why would you put him through that?:eek::eek::p

Now now, I'm as passionate about LFC as I am about Cork GAA, that's a can of worms ya don't wanna open!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Obviously Cork GAA fans suck when it comes to supporting their teams, but it should be remembered that the CCB schedules games to clash with Cork matches all of the time, and have done likewise for both the Down match, and for the Mayo one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Orizio wrote: »
    Obviously Cork GAA fans suck when it comes to supporting their teams, but it should be remembered that the CCB schedules games to clash with Cork matches all of the time, and have done likewise for both the Down match, and for the Mayo one.

A now in fairness our hurling support has been very good down through the years..The only time I remember ever been really outnumbered was against wexford in league final in 93..

Now now, I'm as passionate about LFC as I am about Cork GAA, that's a can of worms ya don't wanna open!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

A severe case of +1 :D

No they are not.

They have the football and the hurling ( and for some Ladies football and Camogie) - a shít load of games which individually incorporate a shít load of expense. We have to be somewhat selective in the current economic circumstances - I certainly am and have no problem admitting it!
    Give me a blank cheque and my single life back again and I'll go to every Cork match. My brother still goes to nearly every match in both codes but he's single with a job.

SO, "obviously Cork fans suck when it comes to supporting their teams" - is not accurate as far as I'm corcerned, but you are of course entitled to your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Of course I am, and considering the population of the county, our attendances at both hurling and in particular football events is shocking, unless its a home game or a AI final or semi. Obviously money is a huge issue for lots of people, and if you can't afford to go then fair enough, but support was still poor years ago.

As an aside, we were well out-numbered in Limerick for the Galway match, for example.

• Advertisement

Of course I am, and considering the population of the county, our attendances at both hurling and in particular football events is shocking, unless its a home game or a AI final or semi. Obviously money is a huge issue for lots of people, and if you can't afford to go then fair enough, but support was still poor years ago.

As an aside, we were well out-numbered in Limerick for the Galway match, for example.

You have got to take into consideration that the Gaelic Grounds is a bit of a hole for that one.Not the ground itself but the location.I know plenty of people,myself included, that wouldnt travel to Limerick even for a Munster hurling/football final.Its just a pain to travel to and from.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement