Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halfords coming to Galway

• 01-10-2010 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Dr McManus

Halfords is coming to Galway.
    A new store will be opening in Headford Road retail park.
    I am looking forward to it.

Comments

• headford rd retail park? Where Curry's, Aldi etc are?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

headford rd retail park? Where Curry's, Aldi etc are?

That's the Galway Retail Park.

Galway Shopping Centre is on the other side of the road.

Don't know of any area called Headford Rd Retail Park, go I'd guess it's the Galway RP they're referring to.

Job ads on the FAS website, BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Halfords is a bit 'meh' in my opinion, but if it brings some employment then that's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Good to see new jobs in the wesht.

Halfords are OK....By that I mean the stuff they stock (bikes and car accessories) are needed locally and they do run discounts regularly...

In general though the markup is steep(but this applies to most stores where the price is directly proportional to the overheads)

...keep an eye on their bargain alerts.:)

• Advertisement

• What are their prices like on average for bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Was suppose to happen 4 years ago.
    I'll probably have a look but keep buying from the usual places anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Dr McManus wrote: »
    Halfords is coming to Galway.
    Oooh! A statement rather than a question, how exciting! :rolleyes:

Does anyone have a link or is it just a rumour again?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

There is a link above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Excellent. The competition will be good for the area.

• I know the unit under the Marriott is being fitted out but I thought it was for a furniture place moving from across town.

Maybe where chartbusters used to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Dr McManus

What are their prices like on average for bikes?

http://www.halfords.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

I know the unit under the Marriott is being fitted out but I thought it was for a furniture place moving from across town.

Maybe where chartbusters used to be?

I'd say the Marriott is exactly where their store will be and not the Galway Retail Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

There Carrera and Boardman range are top value for money and hopefully it'll encourage the local shops to be more competetive.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

There Carrera and Boardman range are top value for money and hopefully it'll encourage the local shops to be more competetive.

Agree, however I think their accessories are a rip (unless on sale). It's tempting and easy to buy a bike and accessories together, you'll get better value if you buy the accessories on-line. Also I'd advise against really cheap bikes in Halfords or anywhere else. Its a false economy, you have loads of technical problems, will have to replace parts etc. you'll grow to hate rather than love your bike. Stick to Carrera and Boardman and you'll get value. GT aren't bad as far as I know. I'd steer clear of Raleigh(they're not what they once were).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'd say the Marriott is exactly where their store will be and not the Galway Retail Park.

Nope: there's an ad in the Advertiser saying that Cost Plus Sofas are moving from Liosbán to the Marriot site in 15 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Eire celticbhoy

I ve no experience is this field but would that affect my chance of getting a job there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Romulous

The new store will be base don the headford road in the same retail park as Woodies and Aldi, and will occupy the old chart/blockbusters store.

The store is due to open in December of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Romulous wrote: »
    The new store will be base don the headford road in the same retail park as Woodies and Aldi, and will occupy the old chart/blockbusters store.

The store is due to open in December of this year.

You seem to have some inside info. and just joined with one post.....
    Don't suppose you have anything to do with recruiting? Any chance of giving boardsies first pick of the jobs:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Romulous

@ redsteveireland

Afraid not on the first picks for the jobs.

Everyone has an opportunity to apply for a position in the new store which is currently being advertised on FAS with applications available from the Galway FAS offices.

And yes, i am doing the recruitment and store opening for the new store.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Their prices look pretty good but having said that i would pay the extra to support a small locally run bike shop business rather than supporting a huge UK and interntuonal chain like halfords.

That's not to say I wouldn't use them for car stuff, because there doesn't seem to be anywhere else stocking car accessories.

I assume you're clued into the bike scheme if you're buyin one? Well worthwhile by the looks of things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

dafunk wrote: »
    Their prices look pretty good but having said that i would pay the extra to support a small locally run bike shop business rather than supporting a huge UK and interntuonal chain like halfords.

That's not to say I wouldn't use them for car stuff, because there doesn't seem to be anywhere else stocking car accessories.

Um there is a car accesories shop across the road at the galway shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Didn't realise that, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭jkforde

Dr McManus wrote: »

Has anyone used http://www.micksgarage.ie for car parts? managed to catch an interview with the Wicklow fella who set it up on the radio a while back, sounded 100% genuine and well into his cars and customer service and quality. Dunnes's slogan, 'the difference is, we're Irish', comes to mind.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️ | Smart Day/Night

These are motor factors I use
    Galway shopping centre
    Next to Subway, Tuam Road
    Liosban Estate
    Monivea Road

I sincerely hope another UK chain won't be able to muscle local shops out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

jkforde wrote: »
    Has anyone used http://www.micksgarage.ie for car parts? managed to catch an interview with the Wicklow fella who set it up on the radio a while back, sounded 100% genuine and well into his cars and customer service and quality. Dunnes's slogan, 'the difference is, we're Irish', comes to mind.

I ordered something from them yesterday afternoon and it arrived by courier this morning. Amazing service!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

dafunk wrote: »
    I assume you're clued into the bike scheme if you're buyin one? Well worthwhile by the looks of things.

Ya its very useful and Halfords also participate in the scheme, saving even more money!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 aj23

Just wondering if anybody has heard anything back about interview , was hopeing for a call back .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

jkforde wrote: »

I use them all the time. Got all the stuff for my own and my missus cars last service off them. Excellent service, next day delivery and no hassle with returning parts if you order incorrectly.

Highly recommend them

Advertisement