Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAC Anti-V / Spyware

• 08-09-2005 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Is there a requirement for this kind of stuff on a mac with broadband, or does the Firewall in the netwrok control panel sort all that out?!?!?!
    thks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

should be safe enough - you are using a Mac afterall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Macs are a lot more secure than Windows machines, and besides hardly anyone bothers writing malicious software for them. I'd say you'll be grand with just a router between you and the Internet.

Teeth.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Dr_Teeth wrote:
    I'd say you'll be grand with just a router between you and the Internet.
    Teeth.

Pardon the ignorance, whats a router?

I just bought a new mac there a few weeks ago and I still havent hooked it up to the net for fear of downloads. I thought it must have came without an Anti-virus, cause nothing pops up when I start up the machine like it does on Windows.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There's no viruses or spyware out there that affect Macs afaik... so don't worry about getting online. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I believe that there were a few theoretical viruses writen for OS X... just to see if it could be done. But there is nothing harmful out there.

In my 6 years of using macs I've never encountered a virus once.

But there is a version of Norton available for OS X.. but I can't for the life of me tell you what it actually does other than cost you money.

There was a good article in The Register recently that is well worth a read:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/21/apples_big_virus/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

adonis wrote:
    Is there a requirement for this kind of stuff on a mac with broadband, or does the Firewall in the netwrok control panel sort all that out?!?!?!
    thks

The Firewall will keep you safe as houses. Just don't forget to keep it switched on!

The only thing that I've come across that can be a problem is if you're running an Apache server (webserver) on the Mac and you start getting DoS attacks, but your router / modem / whatever should have some in built protection for that. You switch Apache on and off in the Services tab of the Sharing System Prefs by enabling / disabling "Personal Web Sharing".

I also leave "Remote Login" checked because it means I can login to the machine, uhhh, remotely and reboot or whatever.

Huhg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭endanagle

the last serious thing was a worm for os 8 back in 1997/98 which brought mac users to a standstill coz nobody had any form of av software.. suffice to say that the developers of the AV software 'Virex' make a fortune with all the purchases in that year!

you can get norton but tbh its totally crap.. and as far as i know they're stopping development. the best is virex if you're thinking of getting something. its developed by macafee and is pretty solid.

that being said, you don't really need it on a mac esp under os x.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Worth knowing that .Mac accounts have virus protections included in their annual fee, as well as the e mail service and servers etc. Pop a look at it if you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I think we may be being a little complaicent here. If you deal with companies whereby you exchange emails and word documents in .doc format it's a good idea to have something that will scan them for you.

It's more to protect the people you deal with who use Windows (or other such susceptible OS's) than yourself. I just think it's a good habit to get into as you never know when it could happen.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

dory wrote:
    Pardon the ignorance, whats a router?

I just bought a new mac there a few weeks ago and I still havent hooked it up to the net for fear of downloads. I thought it must have came without an Anti-virus, cause nothing pops up when I start up the machine like it does on Windows.
    Your Mac did come with anti virus installed on it, it's called OS X. Just keep your firewall on and you'll be OK. Anti virus software on a Mac is a waste of space and money. I know this sounds crazy coming to an ex windows user, but it's true. I've had a Mac for three year now without any anti virus software. I've had no problems and am a huge download whore. Just stay on top of the Apple updates and keep an eye out on the many Mac web sites for news info.
    Relax and enjoy your new Mac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

The problem with the complacency in the Apple world re security is that because it's not so much an issue users simply don't learn anything about what should and should not be done. I'd be willing to bet that almost nobody has a root password on their box, much less a user password. A little bit of user error (or ignorance) will see an enabled sshd or httpd and no firewall is going to protect you from getting owned in that situation.
    Sure, you have an OS that is not as vulnerable or targeted as others, but that doesn't mean you should rest on your laurels. Since the inception of OS X, Mac users have had a much more powerful tool in their hands, but with that comes more risks.

gerryk wrote:
    The problem with the complacency in the Apple world re security is that because it's not so much an issue users simply don't learn anything about what should and should not be done. I'd be willing to bet that almost nobody has a root password on their box, much less a user password. A little bit of user error (or ignorance) will see an enabled sshd or httpd and no firewall is going to protect you from getting owned in that situation.
    Sure, you have an OS that is not as vulnerable or targeted as others, but that doesn't mean you should rest on your laurels. Since the inception of OS X, Mac users have had a much more powerful tool in their hands, but with that comes more risks.

Anyone who owns a Mac running OS X will have an Administration password(root password). You have to give one when you first install OS X or it wont install. The administration password is one of the big reasons unix based operating systems are more secure. OS X won't install anything into the root of your system without you first typing in the admin password.
    Why do you presume there is complacency in the Apple world? Because few Mac users find that they need to install anti virus software? Within the first week of Tiger being released, a developer informed Apple and posted on a Mac website that there was a potential security flaw with Safari auto installing Dashboard Widgets. The flaw could have allowed websites that you visited to install spyware on your Mac (though not penetrating into the root of the system). The developer also posted a way to fix this by going into system preferences in Safari. This news spread like wild fire across the Mac community. Within two days Apple had a fix and the last two OS X updates have cemented a fix to this flaw to the point were its now very anal when you go to download and install Widgets. This doesn't sound like a" complacent Apple world" to me, It sounds more like a very proactive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

First off, you can simply press enter when prompted for a password. I've come across a number of macs over the last few months where that was the case. I've also come across macs with broadband connections, open ssh ports and no passwords. That's asking for a rooting. If it was a PC, the number of worms etc floating around would have the machine on its knees in a matter of minutes, but, being a mac, this won't happen, and the user will continue to coast along, blissfully unaware that his box is a spam relay or some such.
    I certainly wasn't trying to imply that all mac users are complacent... your example illustrates quite will how nonsensical that idea is. What I am saying is that due to the lower threat level felt by the average user (graphic designer, muso) they rarely take the time to understand the potential risks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

gerryk wrote:
    First off, you can simply press enter when prompted for a password. I've come across a number of macs over the last few months where that was the case. I've also come across macs with broadband connections, open ssh ports and no passwords. That's asking for a rooting. If it was a PC, the number of worms etc floating around would have the machine on its knees in a matter of minutes, but, being a mac, this won't happen, and the user will continue to coast along, blissfully unaware that his box is a spam relay or some such.
    I certainly wasn't trying to imply that all mac users are complacent... your example illustrates quite will how nonsensical that idea is. What I am saying is that due to the lower threat level felt by the average user (graphic designer, muso) they rarely take the time to understand the potential risks.

As far as I'm aware, the root account is disabled be default. you have to enable it by opening netinfo, then you have to specify a password.

Think of it this way : how many windows boxes have you come across with no virus scanner / firewall / outdated virus definitions ?

Yes Mac users are complacent, but we can afford to be

gerryk wrote:

Well, it's looks like you are correct gerryk. You can have the return key as your Administration password. I was speaking to a friend of mine who works for Apple over the weekend. He said he has also come across Mac's without Admin passwords. OS X will worn you before you set up the return key as the password though. It's like having the worlds best lock and leavening the key in it. It's just crazy. Although, I don't think it's as wide spread as you may think.

Advertisement