Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Abandoned shopping trollies

Options
  • 07-03-2014 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Unsure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes..

If you notice a shopping trolley abandoned on a car park, ditch, stream or a beach, what is the process of getting rid of them?

Is there service similar to http://www.trolleywise.co.uk/ here in Ireland? Would the original supermarket be interested in getting them back? Or are there any private parties who would take them? Or is it the councils job to remove them?

Just curious!

Comments

:D

*Parental Advisory: rude language*

EDIT: Mod's please delete if deemed inappropriate. No offense intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭minibear

The original supermarket would be very interested in getting it back. A couple of years ago a Lidl trolley was abandoned at my place of work and I rang Lidl to tell them. They asked me the colour of the trolley handle so they could identify which local Lidl owned it and the manager came over and collected it later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

minibear wrote: »
    The original supermarket would be very interested in getting it back. A couple of years ago a Lidl trolley was abandoned at my place of work and I rang Lidl to tell them. They asked me the colour of the trolley handle so they could identify which local Lidl owned it and the manager came over and collected it later.

The hell they would - I regularly used to report the presence of trolleys to Super Valu (sponsors of the National Tidy Towns Competition) in the River Slaney at Enniscorthy. I even offered to recover them in return for a donation payable to the RNLI....but no, it would be an insurance risk.....There seem to be less of them recently but they may have migrated downstream in the recent floods. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭positron

Thanks minibear. In this particular instance it's a superquinn trolley. It's a bit sad if we really don't have a system comparable to Trolleywise - their twitter feed even says they are getting many requests from Republic and that they don't unfortunately cover here.

Just demonstrates German forward thinking in contrast to Irish stoic fob-offery imho.

Last resort?
    supermarket-trolley-bbq--on-wheels-the-flying-tortoise.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

A training group in cork got sponsership for an aluminum dingy (that they needed anyway) to go up and down the river channels in the city fishing shopping trollies,life buoys ,and other large items out of the river... Think they get a few bob from city council and port of cork as well... Think the life buoys cost the city council 40 plus euros a pop(could be wrong ) but I doubt they'd reuse them after they've been in the river, same with the trollies...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭positron

I thought trollies cost considerably more. Anyway, as an update, I rang Superquinn/value thrice and despite all the sugary promises fro them to to arrange someone to pick it up, two weeks have gone by and it's still there! :(

Looks like I might have to walk it "home" myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Ring your local authority or use the e.p.a. App see it say it, or use www.fixyourstreet.ie

Advertisement