Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Studying in Italy.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

I got Bari too but unfortunately I have to stay in Ireland. Crimes like that occur in all big cities. You just have to be very careful. Bari is suppose to be lovely (the weather, scenery etc) but do keep in mind it's the south of Italy, I'd say its hard to get jobs without knowing little italian (ok maybe it's the opposite.. I don't know). And heard the uni lecturers aren't that helpful check out the med school(it) website about Bari and the university it's written by a current student.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cedivad

I got assigned to Bari last year but turned it down. You'll have to do your own research but the city is meant to be riddled with crime...
    Wise decision. You would have ended up in a mostly corrupted institution that is discriminated by the same italians (as basically is every university from Rome, included, to Sicily).

Due to an unfortunate and unwise decision from our minister of education, starting next year there won't be an access test anymore to study medicine in Italy. There is gonna be a flood of enrolments and many universities will apply restrictive entry requirements, but they won't be able to assess you with a test.

I don't know if this applies to Italians only, but it wouldn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Kadiv

cedivad wrote: »
    Wise decision. You would have ended up in a mostly corrupted institution that is discriminated by the same italians (as basically is every university from Rome, included, to Sicily).

Due to an unfortunate and unwise decision from our minister of education, starting next year there won't be an access test anymore to study medicine in Italy. There is gonna be a flood of enrolments and many universities will apply restrictive entry requirements, but they won't be able to assess you with a test.

I don't know if this applies to Italians only, but it wouldn't make sense.

Where did you find this out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cedivad

http:// www .repubblica. it/scuola/2014/05/20/news/addio_numero_chiuso_medicina_ministro_giannini_annuncia_modifica_entro_luglio-86708296/

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Nocofee

Hi guys I'm thinking of doing the imat. Do you have to go to London to do it or can you do it in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 oisinp

Hi, im thinking of studying medicine in Italy as a first choice as I am eager to discover foreign cultures and lifestyles. However, I'm concerned about the imat exam as I am not studying chemistry for leaving cert. I am confident regarding all other sections of the exam. I was wondering roughly what score out of 80 would more or less guarantee a place at one of the unis. Any other information is welcome. Cheers

The test is out of 90 (that was the case this year and last year also) it's not that easy to get 80/90 the highest this year was probably in the late 70s or early 80s (can't remember exact figure). Scores are different for every university but for Milan and Pavia it's slightly higher. You should aim high but I think you would be okay with 50+ It doesn't sound like alot but bear in mind people score as low as -5!

miissjuly wrote: »
    The test is out of 90 (that was the case this year and last year also) it's not that easy to get 80/90 the highest this year was probably in the late 70s or early 80s (can't remember exact figure). Scores are different for every university but for Milan and Pavia it's slightly higher. You should aim high but I think you would be okay with 50+ It doesn't sound like alot but bear in mind people score as low as -5!
    I don't study chemistry and I'm also sitting the leaving cert this year so I don't have time to take it on. Aagh it's a pain. Are there many Irish people over there?

You could get a chemistry revision book maybe? Focus on biology and general knowledge section there isn't as much chemistry or maths/physics as Bio and General section.

miissjuly wrote: »
    You could get a chemistry revision book maybe? Focus on biology and general knowledge section there isn't as much chemistry or maths/physics as Bio and General section.

Thanks for your advice! Ill probably do that. The test date is usually around April so there's plenty of time anyway. I looked at a past exam, and the biology appears to be to a higher level than leaving cert..

• Advertisement

It actually looks very easy but trust me when you go and sit there with that amount of time it's tough and the questions look very difficult and some are indeed difficult some biology questions are very easy and for some you'd need at least 2nd year college level science. I was in 6th year preparing for the test and I remember saying omg this is 5th year stuff but no you only think that in reality it's harder. There was a group on Facebook of all the irish people wanting to do the imat and I was the only leaving cert student most were doing degrees like chemical and pharmaceutical science/general science/biology or they were already graduated and some people even had 10 years experience of working in the pharmaceutical sector!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 catmister

Im currently in a looking into medicine courses in Italy is there anyone who is currently studying medicine in italy? If so any advice, tips on absolutely anything would be appreciated :)

catmister wrote: »
    Im currently in a looking into medicine courses in Italy is there anyone who is currently studying medicine in italy? If so any advice, tips on absolutely anything would be appreciated :)
    I got into Bari turned it down then again in Pavia later on when a place opened up. Third year now... a late reply but hope it helps rumor is that the exam is on in september for english IMAT and you can find the past papers online on the accesso programmato miur website. The website below is an example... I just went through all of them and then took my exam. There are 5 places 1 private and one to new one to open in bologna. Pavia, Milan, Rome tor vergata, Rome La sapienza, Bari. Bologna is said to be starting their programme soon and Milan has the Humanitas private university.
    http://accessoprogrammato.miur.it/2016/IM_HP.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Daggermouth

Are you happy with your decision about going to Pavia? If now you had a choice out of any of the Universities, which one would you choose?

I would choose pavia... I've been to milan and I'm not a fan of intercity. Also milan is quite expensive. Rankings wise pavia is supposed to be better for medicine in Italy. Some of the people in my class are also got in milan but turned it down because of the price. Bari is supposed to be a rough city and the course itself is not good apparently. Rome I'm not too sure I've never been there or heard much other than one guy in my class transferring in from there saying the quality of teaching is similar to paiva but more self study oriented, so the exams are equivalent but the teachers don't provide anything.

Advertisement