Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Conversion

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

are people really converting attics for 9-12k to building standards inc fire doors etc??
    95% are our work is for architects (so we are not competing with low prices) but we wouldnt touch an attic conversion for under 25-30k inc architects costs! are things really gone that bad???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Johny 8 wrote: »
    are people really converting attics for 9-12k to building standards inc fire doors etc??
    95% are our work is for architects (so we are not competing with low prices) but we wouldnt touch an attic conversion for under 25-30k inc architects costs! are things really gone that bad???

25-30k seriously:eek: I have heard the standard is 10-14k and thats from 3 year ago. I would imagine its cheaper now.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

jesus the specs and quality must be minimal for that money!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

25-30k seriously:eek: I have heard the standard is 10-14k and thats from 3 year ago. I would imagine its cheaper now.
    No, prices are going up, new requirements etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

30k will get you a house pretty soon in this country never mind an attic conversion.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

30k??? I could get an extesion for that price.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I would imagine its cheaper now.

How do figure that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rodney1111

Hi Kceire, Just got my compliance cert today happy days, finished my attic conversion two weeks ago and we done a grate job and all came in under 8k but that's not including the time I spend on it 14 days total, and we started last week on a friend of mine that lives on my road who had a look at mine.

Rodney1111 wrote: »
    Hi Kceire, Just got my compliance cert today happy days, finished my attic conversion two weeks ago and we done a grate job and all came in under 8k but that's not including the time I spend on it 14 days total, and we started last week on a friend of mine that lives on my road who had a look at mine.

wow bargain.. can you give us a breakdown of the costs?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Did you put in fire door sets? Provide fire escape from the attic room? Upgrade the fire detection and allow for a protected escape route to ground floor exit from the attic? Then you also have to upgrade the doors from all habitable rooms that exit onto that protected escape route.

If so then you done very very well! Best of luck and enjoy!

• Advertisement

"Provide fire escape from the attic room?"

i dont quite follow that. Does that mean a fire escape at the back of the house....of course not so how do you provide fire escape. its just a standard attic stairs down to the landing isnt it.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    How do figure that one?

I figure labor costs are down. More lads more keen for work as the boom days are gone. Although I have heard building materials have gone up in price.

Out of interest, 25k was quoted earlier. Anyone in the game care to give a rough breakdown on material costs for this 25k spend. Lets imagine is a basic bog standard attic conversion, nothing fancy, Stairs, 2 velux windows & 4 basic power point installs, No toilet. How much of the 25k goes on materials?

"Provide fire escape from the attic room?"

i dont quite follow that. Does that mean a fire escape at the back of the house....of course not so how do you provide fire escape. its just a standard attic stairs down to the landing isnt it.

The attic room must have 2 fire escape in accordance with part B.
    The first is the protected stair case down to the exit at ground floor and it also must have an escape window in the room itself to Part B standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rodney1111

The steel cost 1070 fitted, stairs were 1400 fitted by a friend of mine, tool hire 350 to 400 and all other materials 2 velux windows, insulation, timber, plaster boards and plaster were around 3000, 300 for a plumber to move the water tanks 750 for the electrics with 5 down lights smoke alarm 2 double sockets and a TV point, 130 for A fire door I didn't change the other doors and my brother and brother in law helped me most days for 500 each so around 8,000 but cost me 525 for the compliance cert and my own time also not in the costs.

The steel cost 1070 fitted, stairs were 1400 fitted by a friend of mine, tool hire 350 to 400 and all other materials 2 velux windows, insulation, timber, plaster boards and plaster were around 3000, 300 for a plumber to move the water tanks 750 for the electrics with 5 down lights smoke alarm 2 double sockets and a TV point, 130 for A fire door I didn't change the other doors and my brother and brother in law helped me most days for 500 each so around 8,000 but cost me 525 for the compliance cert and my own time also not in the costs.

Brother & brother in law 500 each:eek: Pizza and a six pack if it was me:p

So it wasnt built to current Building Regulations :confused:
    I hope for god, if a fire does occur, your insurance assessor doesnt notice.

Are the Velux windows at least installed as per Part B of the Building Regulations?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Just got my compliance cert today happy days,
    what type of certification? what type of PI cover was provided? are you sure its not just a structural cert you have? or planning cert?
    130 for A fire door I didn't change the other doors
    should we assume there is only one habitable room (ie one fire door required) of the escape stairs/hall/corridor/landing?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

What would the average cost be for a attic conversion (to a bedroom) in a bog standard 3 bed semi detached house in Galway be these days?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Hale

I paid 9000 euro for mine i have a 3 bed semi just one big open plan room roof lights etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

if the attic conversion is a proper stairs etc but only used for "storage" i.e. not going to be used as a bedroom, does one still need to have the escape route through the house??

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    if the attic conversion is a proper stairs etc but only used for "storage" i.e. not going to be used as a bedroom, does one still need to have the escape route through the house??

Yes through the house and also from the attic room. You are creating an additional storey within the dwelling. It now needs to be treated as a three storey house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 asdf9999

Hi

I'm also looking to convert attic

The idea is to give two teenagers some space.

I was planning to have a pull down stairs, 2 velux windows, lights, flooring

I have those v shaped trusses so I need steel girders to replace them.

I was wondering what is minimum cost?

And is there any issue if I choose not to have a proper stairs ?

I don't want a stairs because it takes up space from existing landing or room

And because it's for teenagers I think they will enjoy the privacy of access by ladder only. M and D less likely to intrude.

And I like the idea of putting away the ladder

Thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭893bet

And in the event of a fire they may burn to death. That's the risk of the pull down ladder.

It won't meet fire regs which most see as a nuisance but are also in place to protect you.

asdf9999 wrote: »
    Hi

And because it's for teenagers I think they will enjoy the privacy of access by ladder only. M and D less likely to intrude.

Thoughts ?

With the money you save on the stairs you can buy decent coffins, although it will be a closed casket ceremony due to the extent of the burns to the people sleeping up there.

Of all weeks, its national fire week too!

Anyway, over dramatic rant done, cop on and put a proper stairs in there with proper fire alarm and detection throughout the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 asdf9999

Keep your hair on.. don't let it burn off...

Not planning on having anyone get burned.. they won't be sleeping up there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

asdf9999 wrote: »
    Hi

Thoughts ?

It's impossible to give a guess at costing without knowing the actual sizes, what trusses need changing and what reinforcement and remedial works need to be done, you should also keep in mind the possible future sale of the house. Any potential buyer will require full certification of any alteration works, so get a professional involved from the start, it will cost less in the long run.

Advertisement