Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any update on the doolin harbour proposal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

The Examiner had a good piece on it the other day, and westcoastsurfer had a few bits on it. Its been rejected defo, new pier plan submitted now

The write up on Westcoastsurfer is pretty much a re-write of the article on the Examiner!
    PeakOutput wrote: »
    i think a counter proposal from the surfers lobby would go a long, if there was a surfer who had any sort of knowledge in this area or if the surfing association could fund raise to pay for a concept of how a pier could be constructed without affecting the wave could be a massive bonus and help the surfers image a bit

fair play to all those involved so far

This would be ideal however the funds just don’t seem to be there for such work, sure John Coady had to fund (with help of friends) his trip to Peru few months back.

Everyone working on this is doing it on their own time but if any of ye know of any expert/professionals in this area that would be willing to help out then please follow them up on this. Any ecologists, engineers, marine hydrologists, etc.
    rodento wrote: »
    CRenegade a good track to go down is for someone to study what happened with the pier on Inish Meinn. Spent loads on it but was'nt that suitable or safe, it had to be re built elsewhere, as ferries had difficulty using it in rough seas

Study may be of use next time round...

Cheers Rodento, Ill try dig some info up on this. If ya have any more info yourself can ya PM me.

Hey,

An advertisement was in the Clare Champion for the new planning application. Submissions to be made before end of February.

There has been no consultation from the Council with the surfers on the design!

Anyways not much can be done at the mo with the Holidays.

Ill try update in the new year,

Happy xmas to all.

The new pier application is available to view on the Clare Co. Co. website at: http://www.clarecoco.ie/planning/planning-applications/search-planning-applications/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=108010&LASiteID=0

To view the files click the 'View Scanned Files; button on that page. Files can only be viewed using Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Submissions can be made in respect of the proposed pier up to the 28th February. There is no fee for a submission and anyone can make one.

I'll try give an update in the coming days with a brief outline of the concerns for Crab Island and Doolin Point.

At first glance it appears the limited wave modelling carried out concluded there will be a 'slight' impact on waves and currents. However it seems that they did not have data for the area around Crab Island where waves are surfed and the conclusions cannot be seen as totally accurate.

Any questions just leave a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

That links abit dodge

post-1-1294580581.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I printed all the files to pdf and upladed them onto the net as a zip file, be warned it's 21 meg
    http://www.box.net/shared/k9atnxzamf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Cheers for that

The new application for the pier was submitted before christmas. See the links above for more details.

We now need every surfer to help fight for this by sending in their own submission to Clare Co. Co. - only costs a postage stamp!

Submissions outlining your concerns can be made (no fee required) on this new application until the last day in February to:

Planning Department,
    Clare County Council
    New Road,
    Ennis
    Co Clare

Quote in your heading: Proposed Pier Development at Doolin, Co. Clare Planning Reference 108010.

The report in the revised application from the County Council, together with its modelling plots, confirm that there will be an impact on the waves along with the currents. The proposed design WILL affect the waves in the area, and also make it substantially more dangerous for surfers accessing the water and waves due to increased currents, building on top of the paddle out slab and/ or forcing interaction / crossing of paths of paddling surfers and the ferries.

There was no consultation with surfers before the lodging of this new application.

Ive a small bit more info on my own site and will try update ye when I can - very busy with this and other stuff at the mo. BUT can all make sure they make a submission with the council before 28th Feb.

Cheers,
    CRenegade.

CRenegade wrote: »
    The report in the revised application from the County Council, together with its modelling plots, confirm that there will be an impact on the waves along with the currents. The proposed design WILL affect the waves in the area, and also make it substantially more dangerous for surfers accessing the water and waves due to increased currents, building on top of the paddle out slab and/ or forcing interaction / crossing of paths of paddling surfers and the ferries.

I've tried to read the report but it had no coulcusion and their drawing / plots didn't make much sense, just dumped results no explination. Is there a new one.

latest two press items:

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/politics/surfers-oppose-revised-6m-doolin-pier-plan-143718.html

http://irishexaminer.com/ireland/doolin-pier-plan-crucial-to-tourism-144396.html

The reporter doesn't seem to do full research and only quotes pieces from documents... Journalism???!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

CRenegade wrote: »
    latest two press items:

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/politics/surfers-oppose-revised-6m-doolin-pier-plan-143718.html

http://irishexaminer.com/ireland/doolin-pier-plan-crucial-to-tourism-144396.html

The reporter doesn't seem to do full research and only quotes pieces from documents... Journalism???!

Print journalism is long dead in this country, from the innane rantings of Alison O'Riordan to the real life trolling of Kevin Myers, journalists are puppets for advertisers these days.

The only way to get people moving on this is through social media/online petitions/high profile names (Mick Fanning) getting involved again.

• Advertisement

Every surfer please help fight for this by sending in your own submission to Clare Co. Co. - only costs a postage stamp!

Submissions outlining your concerns can be made (no fee required) on this new application until the last day in February to:

Planning Department,
    Clare County Council,
    Aras Contae an Chlair,
    New Road,
    Ennis,
    Co Clare.

Quote in your heading: Proposed Pier Development at Doolin, Co. Clare Planning Reference 108010.

There was no consultation with surfers before the lodging of this new application.

Submissions have to be in By 4pm on 28th February 2011.

This is the 'last Chance Saloon'.

We will not be getting people to email and phone councillors before the vote as happened last time Because: we met with some of the councillors last week and they were not happy with this and wanted a coordinated approach from the surfing community.

We hope to meet with the councillors again.

We WCSC/ISA are lodging a comprehensive submission this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Good post Crenegade,

Just to simplify for the lazy take one (or more) numbered topic from below and write a few sentences around it then post it to the address above quoting that planning ref.

1. Council has no addressed surfers concerns

2. Health and Safety
    • Access and entry to surf zones
    • Changing currents
    • Paddling alongside ferries

3. Impact on waves
    • Wave modelling
    • Different heights of waves
    • Reports too general
    • Not sensitive enough to changing heights of waves

4. Pier Review
    • Independent review of modelling

Go on, it'll take 5 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭runman

Doolin tourism group want this to go ahead..Theyre not concerned about the revenue generated from surfing, suppose its smaller than what will be created by truck loads of tourists passing through..

runman wrote: »
    Doolin tourism group want this to go ahead..Theyre not concerned about the revenue generated from surfing, suppose its smaller than what will be created by truck loads of tourists passing through..

Doolin Tourism is operated by a person who owns a B&B specifically targeted at tourists visiting for the Doolin and aran islands experience i.e. americans. Her B&B website has a list of activities in the area including walking, horse riding, ferries to Aran islands etc. but not a mention of surfing.

The doolin tourism website is the same http://www.doolin-tourism.com/activities.html

Her and her friends income does not come from surfing or surf tourists and the construction of a new kick ass pier will increase her 'Type' of tourist to the area and more money in the back pocket.

Doolin tourism does not even recognise surfing as an activity in the area :rolleyes: Slightly biased if you ask me. Failte Ireland is not biased and their submission is impartial and accurate and should be given serious consideration.

While the pier may bring more of that type of visitor to the area it should not be at the expense of another activity and another stream of tourism. I prepared a surf economic report and found that surfing was worth approx. €33 million to the Lahinch area (Doolin, lahinch, doonbeg, etc.) in one year from irish surfers alone!

This prob sounds like im attacking you runman - im not but your post just let me get some steam off! :)

Put you've hit the nail on the head, the pier will create a huge increase in tourism to and from the islands, much more tourism of Doolin. Unfortunately doolin does not have the infrastructure to cater for this demand:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

They even plan to close a massive car park at the harbour

runman wrote: »

Do you keep your word? I always try to. Clare CC said it would do a proper wave model, it hasn't, it's a white wash. If they are allowed to get way with it then what next?

They are advocating that 6 million euros of your's and my money gets spend on a pier so that they can make somemore money? Not a living but more money, and that's what this is all about. So what if they trash a world class wave in the process.

Bit of revenge me thinks:eek:

The Doolin Coast Guard Unit has urged Clare County Council to continue its €6 million development plan for Doolin Point.

The pier plan has faced opposition from surfers who argue that the development will ruin the popular waves in the area.

The Irish Examiner reports that in the latest submission to the council, the Doolin Coast Guard Unit supports the development, claiming the current pier is "regularly over-congested" in peak tourist periods.

"This, in turn, can make it very difficult for our members to launch our boats in an efficient manner where time is of the essence," states the unit's officer in charge Mattie Shannon.

A separate submission by Doolin Tourism and Doolin Community Harbour Co-op, backed by 150 signatures from locals, called on Clare County Council to go ahead with the plan.

They dismissed surfers' concerns, stating that "the proposed pier and breakwater will not create a back wash effect" on the surfing waves at Crab Island and other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

Where is this funding coming from for the new pier, eu?

hollysf wrote: »
    Where is this funding coming from for the new pier, eu?

A lot of it is yea

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

doubt it will get the go ahead with the new 200 million harbour being built in Galway soon, plans for a new pier in Rossaveal got the bin because of the new harbour

On what grounds can you say that, funding is in place, all they need is the permission:rolleyes:

Funding has been approved and is waiting, it is ESF so local politics etc will not impact.

Permission granted for the pier today unfortunately.

I have a post up on my site about it if anyone wants a gander.

Looks like they want to start construction soon :(

There is still a substantial 'design and build' procurement process to be undertaken by CCC first, this will take months; ie advertise across EU, period for preparation of submissions by candidates, period for assessment of submissions by CCC, approval / award of contracts. Minimum of 3 - 4 months before works commence on site I reckon if they follow the route previously advised.

As far as I can see they have no fore shore license applicaon made either.

What are the WCSC planning are they going to keep trying? Or do they believe it's over.

They aren't keeping people up to date it's difficult from the outside to see what's going on or if any help can be given.... please regular updates to keep this alive.

• Advertisement

As far as I can see they have no fore shore license applicaon made either.

What are the WCSC planning are they going to keep trying? Or do they believe it's over.

They aren't keeping people up to date it's difficult from the outside to see what's going on or if any help can be given.... please regular updates to keep this alive.

Sorry Spacehopper - its hard to keep everything going at once. There is a facebook page just after been setup last night to gather support, if you click on my facebook page or Emerald Surfwear FB page you will find the link.

Yes, no foreshore licence applied yet but that will be coming and we will be making a substantial submission.

The WCSC are keeping this going, we will continue to fight to save the waves. A lot of work is being undertaken behind the scenes since the decision and we will continue until its resolved.

I will make a substantial post on my own site within the next 24 hours of the current situation. As you can imagine, keeping up to date with facebook, Boards.ie, magicseaweed, surfaroundireland.com, etc. and working on our submissions takes time. :)

let me know if there is a specific line of work you may be able to help with.

Appreciate the support for this guys, and stick with us as we are sticking with the cause.

Advertisement