Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N21 Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

This is great news, but this is just giving more reasons that Adare and NCW need their bypasses now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

The only overbridge on the scheme opened yesterday
    The overbridge on the pound rd en route to the Maum opened today! Good news for Curranes school users and the locals who were cut off from town!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Oh Lord, the way that newsletter was written:
    In the beginning of the new year, it is
    expected that all aspects of the job
    will be back in full swing.
    The drainage and road works will be
    due for completion before the
    summer.
    The construction of Golf Course Road
    Underpass off the Limerick Road will
    be undertaken in the coming weeks
    and traffic restrictions will be in
    place to allow for this.

Someone needs to proof-read it next time. :cool:

Is the Limerick end interchange a flyover. It better be not a bloody roundabout again! lazy rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The greens cancelled this and 93 other N road projects for as long as they are in government. Can we lock this thread until they are gone please.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The greens cancelled this and 93 other N road projects for as long as they are in government..
    I guess that really helps the people of Newcastle-West who have a set of traffice lights in the middle of their town. Also the people of Abbeyfeale, which constantly seems to have a tail back...

Only about 5 N road projects are alive in any form, the four large proposed PPPs including Cork Limerick and the Adare bypass (that is in a deep coma but alive) and the Galway Bypass ...or part of it.

All you can do west Limerick is complete the route selection. No further work will be funded such as detailed design or EIS . Ask John Gormley and Eamon Ryan why they killed the project.

The N21 is in real need of upgrading from the Kerry border to Attyfln (J4 of the M20).

It has been ignored for years, very bad bottlenecks at Adare, Newcastle-west and Abbeyfeale. After the PPP's this road should be prioritized as well as the N24, N5 and N17 north of Tuam.

The traffic on the route is very heavy from Limerick to NCW. I have yet to see any traffic counts though from south of Adare to NCW, but it's recorded at 25K passing through Adare town itself. I would estimate 15-20K AADT at least.

South of NCW has a lot less in the region of 9 or 10K. 2+2 is not really needed here but the NRA are going to build it that regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The greens cancelled this and 93 other N road projects for as long as they are in government. Can we lock this thread until they are gone please.

There's no use having that kind of attitude about it. I for one don't believe that they will be allowed to prevent all these projects except during the current period (hopefully a trough of only months before at least enough of a recovery to go ahead with a couple of smaller projects) when it is not financially feasible to go ahead with much. I think the "giving in to the Greens" is just a political stunt that costs FF little - they had to postpone all these anyway (or intended to) and this way they can blame the Greens.

In any case, I fail to see the issue in at least some discussion of *planned* road projects (and regardless of the hold-up - they are planned at some stage).

Plus this government will not be around forever, and however much FF may manage to avoid a complete bloodbath (I still worry they'll recover in the polls a bit) the Greens have NOT A HOPE of avoiding complete and utter annihilation (and despite having some environmental sentiments myself, I cannot *wait* until this happens).

• Advertisement

mysterious wrote: »
    Is the Limerick end interchange a flyover. It better be not a bloody roundabout again! lazy rubbish.

There is no compact GSJ's on the scheme. 3 at-grade roundabouts are being built for these junctions.

Zoney wrote: »
    There's no use having that kind of attitude about it. I for one don't believe that they will be allowed to prevent all these projects except during the current period (hopefully a trough of only months before at least enough of a recovery to go ahead with a couple of smaller projects)

We have up to 2.5 years more of this lot and they will hang on until the bitter end ( and of course the ministerial pensions after 4 years)

No new roads in 2010 2011 and 2012 .
    The Greens have NOT A HOPE of avoiding complete and utter annihilation (and despite having some environmental sentiments myself, I cannot *wait* until this happens).

I agree. The FF vermin are too deeply embedded to go away.

Regardless of what the greens think... simple fact is that the n21 tralee to limerick requires investment. (i'll also argue that the n22 tralee to cork requires investment).

if the greens prioritise the building of the metro north ... doesn't that just contribute to the marginalisation of what they call the regions (i really, really HATE that term!!!)?

Greens are too incompetetent to be listened too.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Merged threads.

We only need one N21 thread.

Edit: Reason: Not many N21 schemes are likely to start, there is only one under construction at the moment, so there's no point spreading the discussion too thin.

The N22 is sadly in the same state, may as well throw that in with the N21 seeing as the greens also got FF to cancel the Ballyvourney Macroom Ballincollig section and the Killarney Farranfore bit.

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Merged threads.

We only need one N21 thread.

Edit: Reason: Not many N21 schemes are likely to start, there is only one under construction at the moment, so there's no point spreading the discussion too thin.

Hey, 2 suggestions...

There are 2 N21 threads:
    1 in infrastructure (this one)
    1 in Region > South > Kerry .. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055481893
    Maybe you want to consider merging these also?

Also, there are two N22 threads...
    this one is on the Tralee bypass..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055692714
    and this one is on the Macroom to Ballyvourney stretch
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055297495
    As both threads have limited entries, would you consider a merge also?

Thanks.

I have also posted these photos in the alternative n21 thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055481893.

photos taken on the 28th dec 2009.
    n21_01 is of the new bridge on the pound road
    n21_02 & n21_03 are views from the bridge looking south
    n21_04 is a view from the bridge looking north

as you can see, all the work has really focused on getting the bridge complete and the road open to ease access for local residents. (fair play to contractors!!!)

n21_05 is of the underpass located a few hundred meters south of the bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

fresca wrote: »
    I have also posted these photos in the alternative n21 thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055481893.

photos taken on the 28th dec 2009.
    n21_01 is of the new bridge on the pound road
    n21_02 & n21_03 are views from the bridge looking south
    n21_04 is a view from the bridge looking north
    I don't understand the last photo, why would they purposely make the bridge so narrow that the road underneath can never be widened to allow two vehicles pass under the bridge at the same time, maybe the road is to be one-way. Maybe its just the lens, but the road looks awful narrow, wouldn't like to meet an artic close to that bridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

It doesn't seem too narrow to me, just the minimum required i would think.

• Advertisement

I don't understand the last photo, why would they purposely make the bridge so narrow that the road underneath can never be widened to allow two vehicles pass under the bridge at the same time, maybe the road is to be one-way. Maybe its just the lens, but the road looks awful narrow, wouldn't like to meet an artic close to that bridge!
    The road itself is quite narrow.
    2 cars would probably not pass side-by-side on it.
    but i take your point...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It looks wide enough for two vehicles to me. It's already a lot wider than the road which passes through it. A boreen like this will likely (and quite rightly probably) never need widenning, unless we persist with the awdul urbanisation of the countryside that has basically destroyed huge parts of our country.

according to the department of transport press release... the N21 adare bypass will proceed to cpo during 2010.

http://www.transport.ie/pressRelease.aspx?Id=170

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its lumped in with the northern M20 scheme under a PPP that has been long-fingered, so wont be touched until that is. Think 2015 before diggers are on the ground, at the earliest.

February photo updates on the Castleisland bypass here

is there anyway that these 2 castleisland threads can be merged, please?
    ... this one in infrastructure...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055776672
    ... this one in region -> south -> kerry
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64543239

we're repeating the information across these threads.

Thanks.

fresca wrote: »
    is there anyway that these 2 castleisland threads can be merged, please?
    ... this one in infrastructure...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055776672
    ... this one in region -> south -> kerry
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64543239

we're repeating the information across these threads.

Thanks.

I originally put the Castleisland bypass thread in the Kerry forum because I thought it would gather more interest there. It's a great thread (Castleisland bypass) so far so dont see why we should merge them tbh.

This thread is for general N21 updates which covers a lot of road but there isint much updates on here.

Some protesting about the N21 Adare to Abbeyfeale scheme. The quicker people realise that the N21 is primarily needed to link Tralee with Limerick the better.

The bypasses are a little offline but there will be a good link road to access the 2+2 sections. I cant find any information re the Abbeyfeale and NCW junctions. For the towns of their size, surely both warrnat LILO's and not roundabouts. Templeglantine locals have been whinging for the last number of years about a proposed bypass now they have stepped up a gear with the route selection stage. Finally I hope they realise eventually it's not a motorway.

Protesters call NRA's proposal for N21 an economic bypass of Limerick

TH1_192201045Road%20Protest.JPG

THE N21 Abbeyfeale to Adare dual carriageway is an economic bypass of West Limerick and a boom for Kerry tourism and industry believes Ger Kearney of the N21 Group Action Association.
    Mr Kearney was speaking at a special meeting of Limerick County Council on the "N21 Abbeyfeale to Adare road improvement scheme".

Over 100 people from West Limerick travelled to the council chamber in Dooradoyle to voice their anger at the proposals.

The N21 Group Action Association wants to see bypasses of Adare, Newcastle West and Abbeyfeale straight away at a cost of around €40 million compared to a 42km dual carriageway which Mr Kearney says will cost €400 million.

"If it goes ahead it will sound the death knell for tourism in West Limerick as well as putting a lot of farmers out of business unnecessarily.

"Also if it is not built for the next 10 to 20 years because of our present economic climate, and if a route is selected in the meantime then the land that the carriageway will be built on will be sterilized for that 10 to 20 years. That will stagnate farming and business and depress the economic situation in West Limerick and the general public will still be faced with traffic jams in Adare, Newcastle West and Abbeyfeale," said Mr Kearney.

David Leahy, senior executive engineer of the Mid-West National Road Design Office, Limerick County Council, who opened the meeting, said the dual carriageway, or improved N21, from Abbeyfeale to Adare would reduce accidents, fuel consumption, travel times and through traffic for Abbeyfeale and Newcastle West town centres.

He said they were working in consultation with the NRA to progress the N21 improvement scheme in accordance with NRA project management guidelines.

Following a constraints study report six route corridor options were chosen and currently the Mid-West National Road Design Office is choosing the preferred route.

"This may be any one of the three options from end to end or an amalgamation of any of the three options. The NRA will carry out an independent assessment of the preferred route corridor," said Mr Leahy.
    While member of the N21 Group Action Association listened to Mr Leahy's presentation they don't want to see it realised.

Mr Kearney said the dual carriageway will cost €400 million with no European money available.

LIVELY DISCUSSION AT MEETING: Opposition to the proposed new N21 motorway is growing in the locality as was evidenced at last week's large meeting of parishioners. Even people who would not be affected directly by any of the proposed routes are strongly of the opinion that the expenditure of such vast sums on the project in a depressed economic climate is not justified. The alternative of bypasses close to the neighbouring towns and upgrading of the present N21 is in the opinion of many, a far more realistic and suitable option. It has been noted also that there has been a marked drop in the volume of traffic, coinciding with the downturn in the economy. After last week's meeting the local action group issued the following statement, "TEMPLEGLANTINE MOTORWAY – NO WAY" - On Tuesday 2nd February a large crowd attended a meeting in Halla Inse Bhán in relation to the proposed motorway. This motorway will split the parish in two with absolutely no benefit to the parishioners. In fact the meeting concluded that it would be detrimental to our local shops and hotel and to the farming community and all present were unanimously opposed to the motorway. A number of people were nominated to attend a follow up meeting in Knockaderry on the following night 3rd February. At this meeting it was decided to have a protest outside the County Hall, Dooradoyle on February 15th at 2.30pm. It is vital that we get good support for this protest. All parishes and towns along the proposed route are asked to support the protest in large numbers. When sufficient numbers are available a bus will be provided. Names will be taken at the next meeting which will be held on Thursday 11th February at 8.30pm in Halla Inse Bhán where it is hoped that many more people will show their support.

And ..... Abbeyfeale have been shouting aswell
    OPPOSITION in Abbeyfeale to plans for the major redevelopment of the N21 through West Limerick as proposed by the National Roads Authority is expected to be voiced at a public meeting on Sunday night.

Currently at routeselection stage, the National Roads Authority are hoping to develop a 45km section of dual carriageway from Adare to the Kerry border outside Abbeyfeale, bypassing both Newcastle West and Adare.

However, the plans are meeting with opposition in the town of Abbeyfeale where locals are concerned the town would be left 'completely isolated' by all three of the proposed routes — which they say would bypass the town too far to the south.

"Under NRA policy itself no town is to be left isolated by a bypass, but this is exactly what would happen with Abbeyfeale," objector James Hartnett told The Kerryman.

" The whole project will come in at an estimated cost of €400 million, which is exorbitant, and we will be looking at a project that might not get off the ground for at least 10 years," Mr Hartnett said.

He claimed that a majority of townspeople are opposed to the plan, despite the town's problems with traffic congestion at peak times.

" Rather than having this golden road begin in 10 years time, we need to see the congestion alleviated now through two ring-roads with upgrading works to the existing roads. The proposal simply doesn't make sense and Abbeyfeale would probably be one of the worst affected of all the towns concerned as the three proposed bypasses of the town will take the road out by Tournafula, much too far away to facilitate easy access to the town," Mr Hartnett said.

Link

ah sure, god help us!!!

an upgrade of the n21 is not a by-pass of west limerick!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its a shame the M20 crowd cant do as much shouting. Noone in Buttevant, Charleville etc has ever said a peep.

Advertisement