Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Batteries - Deep Cycle Rechargeable

• 10-01-2006 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hi,
    New to this forum, I'm building a wind generator (approx 500W) need to source 12V circa 110ah deep cycle batteries in Ireland if possible, anyone any experience/knowledge where to look?
    I have a UK source £45.00 each + £56.00 shipping.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

LMK wrote:
    Hi,
    New to this forum, I'm building a wind generator (approx 500W) need to source 12V circa 110ah deep cycle batteries in Ireland if possible, anyone any experience/knowledge where to look?

Have you checked www.surfacepower.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭LMK

Yes tried Surfacepower they cost €400 for a 270ah, so more expensive but better spec. I don't want to over spent initially, just get a basic system up & running & understand the fundamentals.
    I guess that there aren't many outlets for this, I was hoping someone knew of a truck/forklift battery supplier that also dabbled in suitable batteries.
    Rgds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

i think one of the members on boards here said they were going to try getting the batteries from mobile phone masts that were being swapped out for new ones... might be worth looking into?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kulababa

Looking for used 12Volt 100Amphr deep cycle batteries.Can anyone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

LMK wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

Not possible. Your UK source is pulling your leg. It cost about £25 to ship a cheap "deep cycle" 110ah battery to Ireland if the courier will take it. If it costs £56 it is not a sealed battery or you are being conned on shipping. I do not know of any couriers who will knowingly ship wet lead acid batteries due to the implications of leakage. Even sealed are usually required to be shipped on a pallet or packed according to EU regulations.
    Many cheap batteries are badged deep cycle and 110ah but in fact are not 110ah. How will you tell? Only when it fails to perform. Is there a guarantee? This will also be worthless I can guarantee that much.
    You cannot buy a proper deep cycle battery at 110ah for £45. Trouble is you have to find out the hard way.
    Good luck.

• Advertisement

kulababa wrote: »
    Looking for used 12Volt 100Amphr deep cycle batteries.Can anyone help?

I wouldn't buy second hand 12v...at least not without a hydrometer inspection. Most people who have them don't know how to maintain them. Better off with 6v in series, more durable, better looked after. Large golf resorts, scissor lift suppliers might be chucking them.

Other places to look are forklight providers for 2v cells, any public building will have emergency power batteries that get thrown out long before their time, or telecom's float service batteries are quite good too.

@ Freddy that post was 8 years old...inflation :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Yep, done that more than once! :D I'll get my coat ....again.

Advertisement