Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Longboard suggestion

• 28-02-2014 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi, Im looking into getting a longboard and was wondering if anyone could make any recommendation of makes / models to go for or to avoid.

I am hoping that whatever I buy will last me as long as I can surf so I don't mind spending a bit more for this.

Cheers,
    Ronan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Get all my surfboards from glide these days, can't fault them at all. He's also having a 10% sale on new boards according to magic seaweed

• Registered Users Posts: 29 sul10

Cool I will check them out

Just to say if you have the cash, glide also has a licence to shape board design Isis & F2B longboards, absolutely class boards

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

ya, glide makes great boards as long as you don't mind the long wait.

If it's a standard longboard he has a glasser coming in two weeks so will be a fast turnaround this time

I've a f2b longboard and a 6'10 quad on order :D,the 6'10 is shown on his discount ad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Ian Johnson from cequential surfboards in lahinch makes some lovely longboards. I got mine 7 years ago and it's still perfect. When (if) it breaks, I'll be going back for another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Make sure you are getting ahand shaped board if you are going with Glide, he's got a shaping machine these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

gerk86 wrote: »
    ya, glide makes great boards as long as you don't mind the long wait.

Hi gerk

Yes in the past there has been a wait as I was way too busy for 1 person I wasn't able to keep up with the demand and there was no one in the country good enough to work on my boards
    Now my business has moved on and I have one of the best production glassers and sanders in Europe working with me and we are doing 10 boards minimum each month now! For the first time ever I even have stock boards lol )

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Make sure you are getting ahand shaped board if you are going with Glide, he's got a shaping machine these days...

Hi cpoh

I still hand shape even though I have a machine but I use the machine for consistency to get the rocker deck roll bottom foil and outline all perfect then I finish the board by hand
    It means every single board is the true to the start point of my design

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

It all depends, are you a beginner or have you done much surfing

If you are a beginner get some lessons and see if it's for you. After that I'd go with a second hand board or a durable epoxy board like a bic or circle one. You want something simple an all rounder or ordinary Joe board that will catch lots of waves and get you moving.

After that you are in trouble because there are any amount of boards you should own but the best board is one hand crafted for you

• Advertisement

After that you are in trouble because there are any amount of boards you should own but the best board is one hand crafted for you

I'd agree to disagree :D

https://bingsurf.com/2011/04/07/shaping-hand-vs-machine

Some of the best boards I've ever had we're machine shaped, like the bing synchronizer

Really looking forward to my new F2B from glide, machine shaped but hand finished after the other one took a complete battering off a harbour wall

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bof

Just adding my 2 cents here,

Glide makes excellent boards and has done for a while now but if the OP wants just one board to last forever
    then an all round tried and tested epoxy board like like a McTavish Fireball or a Takayama In the Pink might be more
    suitable. However that route would probably be as expensive than getting a high end designer board from Glide

OP said >I am hoping that whatever I buy will last me as long as I can surf so I don't mind spending a bit more for this.

bof wrote: »
    Just adding my 2 cents here,

Glide makes excellent boards and has done for a while now but if the OP wants just one board to last forever
    then an all round tried and tested epoxy board like like a McTavish Fireball or a Takayama In the Pink might be more
    suitable. However that route would probably be as expensive than getting a high end designer board from Glide

OP said >I am hoping that whatever I buy will last me as long as I can surf so I don't mind spending a bit more for this.

The funny thing is that my boards are the same price as the Chinese ****e you find in all the shops ! Lol

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Moved the last few posts to a seperate thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057162114##

Lets keep this thread about the OP's query :)

Did you get anything ????

Glides got a couple of stock boards ready to go if your interested.

He's also doing a surfing movie thingy in Dublin on Saturday so getting the board will be handy enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭wibago

So, I’ve finally decided that there is no way I can go the whole summer without boarding so it's time for me to get a longboard. I'm 150lbs and there are plenty of hills around here that I could take it to. I wouldn’t want something that goes super fast down the hills, but fast enough for me to carve and get low. But also I would need to skate with it easily because I'll be taking it to school with me in a year to get to classes. But then again, maybe all skateboards are easy to skate with, I really don’t know anything about them so any help or suggestions on boards would be great.

Advertisement