Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trying to change for the better

• 17-09-2013 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey there. I'm just wondering if someone could help me. I'm currently trying to overcome a binge eating disorder and lose the 50lbs that I gained because of it. I've tried so many times to finally lose the weight and I just end up giving up. This time I want to do it for real. I'm sick of feeling depressed and having no energy! I'm currently 5'6", female and 185 pounds. I guess I'm just looking for some advice on how to stick to a healthy lifestyle? Does anyone have any ideas on what I can eat during the day, and what exercises (I can't join a gym) I should be doing to finally shift the weight? If I don't plan ahead, then I fall off the wagon and end up gorging on junk food. It's disgusting. My home life doesn't help my situation and it's part of the reason I started comfort eating in the first place, but is there a way to get out of this unhealthy lifestyle without being able to change my living situation? I kind of feel trapped. I hope I'm posting in the right thread as I'm new here. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,095 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There is lots of great information in the stickied threads:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055963342
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055157091

and some good conversations here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056270029

Read around and come back with specific queries, good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭ninjabox

Quit sugar. Cut all sweet foods out of your diet, including foods that spike your blood sugar levels like white potatoes and refined carbs. Sugar is an addictive and unnatural substance. I managed to do this an it is truly amazing how much better you feel, you are back in control of what you eat. It was also extremely hard and I fell off the wagon more than once.

When you first try to quit sugar I would recommend cutting out all sweet things (even fruit at first, eat tonnes more vegetables instead). The first few day are horrible, you will be irritable, and might even feel a bit depressed as your blood sugar is adjusting. The next few weeks are crucial, if you manage to stay off sugar for around three months then your basically there. If you go through tough times you might fall of the wagon but its easier to get back on again once you know you have done it before.

You have to treat it like an addiction though, abstinence is the only way to do it!

Foods that will spike you blood sugar:
    Curry sauces,
    Fruit juices,
    Anything processed,
    White potatoes (these cause a huge spike in your blood sugar),
    grains (bread, pasta, rice, even wholegrain, get your carbs from starchy tubers like sweet potatoes instead),
    Low fat yoghurt,
    Anything advertised as being low fat,
    Ketchup,
    Basically all sauces, read the ingredients and check for sugar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

sej22 wrote: »
    Hey there. I'm just wondering if someone could help me. I'm currently trying to overcome a binge eating disorder and lose the 50lbs that I gained because of it. I've tried so many times to finally lose the weight and I just end up giving up. This time I want to do it for real. I'm sick of feeling depressed and having no energy! I'm currently 5'6", female and 185 pounds. I guess I'm just looking for some advice on how to stick to a healthy lifestyle? Does anyone have any ideas on what I can eat during the day, and what exercises (I can't join a gym) I should be doing to finally shift the weight? If I don't plan ahead, then I fall off the wagon and end up gorging on junk food. It's disgusting. My home life doesn't help my situation and it's part of the reason I started comfort eating in the first place, but is there a way to get out of this unhealthy lifestyle without being able to change my living situation? I kind of feel trapped. I hope I'm posting in the right thread as I'm new here. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear things are so crappy for you at the moment, but it's great that you're looking at ways in which you can try to change things and I'm 100% sure that you can :)

If your home situation is stressful and leading to the binging, then I'd suggest adding a daily walk to start off with - it'll get you out of the house and you'll feel all the better for it. Why don't you have a look at the couch to 5k programme also? There are a few threads on it here and it'd be a great way to turn the walks into runs. You can also have a look at bodyweight training that you can do at home, like short circuits with burpees, mountain climbers, air squats, push ups, jumping jacks... there are loads of threads on these here and even just typing 'bodyweight training' into google will get you tons of ideas :) If you're unsure of how to do any of them, just search them on youtube for demos.

With the food situation, I think that once you actually start doing some exercise then you'll be less inclined to reach for the junk food - mainly because it won't be worth it after busting your ass with a workout and also you'll find that exercising will lift your mood a bit which will help you to get out of that mindset.

Does that help at all? If you need any specific help on diet, it would be great if you could post up what you eat at the moment and what you like/don't like and will/won't eat. It'd be alot easier for posters to give you some advice on it then.

Advertisement