Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works pending; 2024 start]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭kub

Cork County and City Council's obsession with traffic lights continue.

I have absolutely no idea why they are replacing the roundabout with traffic lights. Absolutely none. What a waste of money.

Although in the evening there is a lot of folk travelling home, by car to one of the biggest satellite towns in the country, best not to mention the lack of public transport. Anyway what I see whenever I am down that way in the evening's is most of the traffic is coming from the City side and exiting at the Carrigaline exit and the traffic from Ringaskiddy has not got much of a chance to enter the roundabout. Therefore there always seems to be a tailback on the Ringaskiddy side.
    I have to wonder though how far back the City side traffic will end up when the lights are up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Just to agree with your point about it being very hard to get on to the roundabout from the Ringaskiddy side, its always seemed to me that the shape of the roundabout has a lot to do with it. You've got the ringaskiddy and carrigaline exits over on one side and the the cork road over on the other side. Cars coming from cork can enter the roundabout at quite a high speed, making it harder to find a gap when you're coming from Ringaskiddy. So traffic lights will make it possible for the ringaskiddy cars to get on but it will have huge impact on the flow of commuters heading to carrigaline from the city in the evenings. I think you're right, there could be tailbacks for miles. Bit of a lose lose situation. Hopefully it may spur on progress on building the real project.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Baldilocks

There is an issue 2/day with commuting traffic. The only solution that will allow for freeflow traffic is to install an under/over pass arrangement. The roundabout is very effective at off peak times.

Given that the road to Ringaskiddy is due to be replaced as a result of Ringaskiddy being given the status of European Tier 1 port, there is hardly a point in spending money on the roundabout. Accelerate the main project (the new status of the port entitles the project to European funding).

Why install traffic lights which effectively ensure that people are going to be held up?? It's an idiotic solution to a problem which shouldn't exist in the first place! (God forbid the genii in Cork Co. Co. would follow best practice, or learn from their previous signalised disasters)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Baldilocks wrote: »
    There is an issue 2/day with commuting traffic. The only solution that will allow for freeflow traffic is to install an under/over pass arrangement. The roundabout is very effective at off peak times.

Given that the road to Ringaskiddy is due to be replaced as a result of Ringaskiddy being given the status of European Tier 1 port, there is hardly a point in spending money on the roundabout. Accelerate the main project (the new status of the port entitles the project to European funding).

Why install traffic lights which effectively ensure that people are going to be held up?? It's an idiotic solution to a problem which shouldn't exist in the first place! (God forbid the genii in Cork Co. Co. would follow best practice, or learn from their previous signalised disasters)
    The difference being €100,000 to €100,000,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DerMutt

The Port of Cork's managing engineer was quoted in the Examiner as saying that they think the NRA will start work on the upgrade in 2017.
    Mr Healy claimed the economic downturn had reduced traffic on the N28, which had lead to further capacity.

However, the port will have to convince locals that it can “manage” additional traffic effectively if it proceeds with parts of the project before the N28 is upgraded.

Mr Healy said he envisaged the port’s Ringaskiddy West plan would be operational by early 2018, adding it was hoped the NRA would start work on the N28 upgrade the year before. The extension of the deepwater berth in Ringaskiddy West would not become operational until post 2020.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/computer-simulations-of-port-of-cork-plan-unveiled-257658.html

• Advertisement

I noticed on my commute this morning that the locals in Shanbally have put up protest signs against putting traffic lights where the Shanbally roundabout is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Under discussion on another thread, the new road for the N28 may get bumped up the priority list as it needs to be done by 2030.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DerMutt

Spotted some work going on in the fields to the West just at the top of the widened stretch of the Slí Carrigdhoun where it meets the narrow part of the old Carr's Hill.

The scrub has been cleared and there's what looks like some drainage work or a work roadway being made. It looks to me to be on the exact alignment the new road would take.

Is this the NRA/Cork Co. Co. or is it the farmer making more of the ground?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Archaeology or ground investigation maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

A public display of the preferred route corridor was held this evening in Carrigaline. Staff from Cork NRDO and RPS were there.

Two changes from the 2008 route corridor are that the alignment has moved north to avoid Fernhill golf course and a revised route for the last section from Barnahely to Ringaskiddy, the latter which is now only proposed as a single carriageway! The reason given by one of the designers is that they had to reroute to avoid environmental issues at Loughbeg and that they could not accommodate a dual carriageway/motorway cross section through the revised route. They were saying that the single carriageway can cater for the projected traffic figures in the 2033 design year. They weren't showing a climbing lane even on the cross sections drawings on display for this section, which I would have thought as being the bare minimum you could get away with considering its connecting directly to the port. It is a lot closer to Ringaskiddy village also and runs through land earmarked for a new school! Could be quite contentious.

They are targeting submitting for planning to An Bord Pleanála by March 2015. Good to see movement on this!

Brochure can be found here www.n28cork-ringaskiddy.com
    (sorry can't post links or urls yet - can someone add the link?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

www.n28cork-ringaskiddy.com

2w6w3uc.png

While its good to see this scheme go ahead, I don't for 1 second believe there isn't enough available space to completely dual this project. Surely there's enough space for 2+2 at the end alongside the port. Can't see this going ahead as single carriageway near the end.

Most interested to see whats going to happen with the Carr's Hill Interchange. Really hoping they opt for a 4/4 dumbbell which might involve significant earthworks. Would be a huge upgrade for traffic in the area though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭cgcsb

With no provision for rail freight, what's changed? will the port be allowed move downstream without rail provision?

There was never any suggestion of rail freight from anyone but objectors to the port's plans. Irish Rail have killed off rail freight in Ireland so it was never really a runner. The port expansion was always depending on upgrading the road network (N28 and Dunkettle interchange so that the trucks could get a clear run at the M8), this is all in motion now and the government is obliged to upgrade the road network since the port was given Tier 1 status by Europe.

Interesting to see they've marked a proposed junction where the slip road to Mount Oval is, I wonder are they intending to have access going both ways?

moyners wrote: »
    There was never any suggestion of rail freight from anyone but objectors to the port's plans. Irish Rail have killed off rail freight in Ireland so it was never really a runner. The port expansion was always depending on upgrading the road network (N28 and Dunkettle interchange so that the trucks could get a clear run at the M8), this is all in motion now and the government is obliged to upgrade the road network since the port was given Tier 1 status by Europe.

Interesting to see they've marked a proposed junction where the slip road to Mount Oval is, I wonder are they intending to have access going both ways?

They won't. They are only marking the pre existing slip road.

If I had my way I'd also close the Maryborough Hill slip road, upgraded Carr's Hill to a 4/4 dumbbell and build an access road from the dumbbell to Maryborough Hill / Muneygurney road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

I don't think its the end of the world that the last section is proposed to be single carriage way. AADTs drop off dramatically after Carrigaline so its unlikely congestion is ever going to be an issue at the Ringaskiddy end of things.

They won't. They are only marking the pre existing slip road.

If I had my way I'd also close the Maryborough Hill slip road, upgraded Carr's Hill to a 4/4 dumbbell and build an access road from the dumbbell to Maryborough Hill / Muneygurney road.

I reckon you will have your wish. You might recall there is a bridge planned linking the junction on top of Grange Hill in Douglas, over the valley below and linking up with the old Carrs Hill out of Douglas. As you now this road leads up to the N28 to the area you have mentioned above.

Also to the East of the existing N28 / Carrs Hill intersection, there is an estate called Maryborough Ridge, within it there is a very wide road after being constructed and currently unused. This will link up at the intersection and terminate at the roundabout at the junction of Maryborough Hill with Moneygurney Road.
    That will take a lot of pressure off Douglas.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Front of today's Evening Echo

Storm over Port's Ringaskiddy plans

The Government has come under pressure to deliver funds for a €100 million upgrade of the Dunkettle Interchange and the development of a dual-carraigeway to Ringaskiddy.

This follows the decision by An Bord Pleanala yesterday to grant permission for the Port of Cork's new €100m container facility in Ringaskiddy.

Concerns have been raised about the inability of the road infrastructure to cope with the thousands of heavy truck movements in and out of the proposed Port terminal.

The Port is to move operations from Tivoli and the city docks to Ringaskiddy by 2018, but the existing road network at Dunkettle and N28 are already congested at peak times.

The construction phase of the project is expected to deliver upto 849 new jobs.

Cork Chamber Chief Executive Conor Healy welcomed the development, saying it would enable the expansion of the Port and "yield significant economic dividends for Cork".

However, he added: "Government now needs to provide the funding for the N28, Cork to Ringaskiddy Road and the upgrade of the Dunkettle interchange which are key to unlocking a myriad of economic prospects."

Fianna Fáil TD Michael McGrath criticised the decision. He said: "To grant permission for a large scale expansion of Port activity in Ringaskiddy without the upgraded N28 is absolutely illogical. The new N28 is likely to take many years yet and the existing road network is simply unable to cope with the current volume of traffic."

You got to love Michael Mc Grath, the state of the N28 has nothing at all to do his party of course :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Apparently the M28 is 'one of the highest priority projects in the country'.

Cork Minister Coveney is 'hopeful' that the road will be delivered 'a lot sooner' than the six to seven years currently being quoted.

Announcement in time for the election perhaps?

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/funds-remain-an-issue-in-corks-traffic-chaos/

Cork Minister Coveney is 'hopeful' that the road will be delivered 'a lot sooner' than the six to seven years currently being quoted.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/funds-remain-an-issue-in-corks-traffic-chaos/

Amazing. As shown yet again, this government couldn't care less about Cork. Only for that container port getting planning would this even be on the table.

• Advertisement

As shown yet again, this government couldn't care less about Cork.
    Get over your self.

Victor
    Cork Person / Moderator

Victor wrote: »
    Get over your self.

Victor
    Cork Person / Moderator

I'll cool the rhetoric once this government actually provides a road infrastructure project for Cork (well at least one that isn't just 2 flyover which should have been done 10 years before).

Pure waffle out of him, to think i voted for him :mad:. He disappears into a ministry, an election comes along and suddenly he seems to care about the place he lives.

kub wrote: »
    Pure waffle out of him, to think i voted for him :mad:. He disappears into a ministry, an election comes along and suddenly he seems to care about the place he lives.

To be fair he's brought a huge amount of investment to Cork Harbour. I'd be hopeful of pre-election announcements on the n28/Dunkettle

Can we keep the politics for the politics forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

My experience of the n28 is getting ferries from Ringaskiddy.

What is the issue with it? It is like most things in Cork, Peak commuting time delays?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

My experience of the n28 is getting ferries from Ringaskiddy.

What is the issue with it? It is like most things in Cork, Peak commuting time delays?
    Peak time traffic, port expansion in the works, no right turns permitted at several junctions along the route.

The only good thing about the N28 at present is the fact that it ends at a trumpet interchange rather than a signalised rounadbout.

AADT on the section between Carrs Hill and Carrigaline is 23,000 vehicles a day for a single carraigeway, compared with 20,000 on the M8 between J18 and J19

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

This is Carrigaline, the most car dependent town for commuting in Ireland? Not to wanna be a hurler or anything, but how about ramping up/subsidising PT in the very near future?

This is Carrigaline, the most car dependent town for commuting in Ireland? Not to wanna be a hurler or anything, but how about ramping up/subsidising PT in the very near future?
    Said PT is going to need a road on which to travel.

Also containers from the port aren't going to be able to access the N40 and beyond on a bus

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I thought this road was funded through some EU scheme therefore its a definite go ahead? Of course the whole SRR and this scheme which feeds into it all lead to the Dunkettle bottleneck which has to be fixed before this is complete.

By the looks of it, the Dunkettle scheme is priority number 1 for Cork.

Advertisement