Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Siemens SPC 4320 - inertia sensors and firmware

• 18-07-2015 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, Thanks to the interesting discussions I have read on here I am self-installing a Siemens SPC4320 and I have a few queries.

The old system (which I inherited when I bought the house and appears to have been out of commission for many years) was wired with Aritech 611 inertias that I plan to reuse. The windows have a small upper pane and a large lower one. Only the lower pane has a reed sensor on; is this a typical arrangement and what is the best practice strategy for these openings?

I found an old PDF from Altor showing how to wire inertia sensors (I can't post a link but the file was "ALTOR DUAL PLUS SINGLE WIRING.pdf" and was on thread 2056653196 "Best use of a 4 core cable"). In this scheme, normal resistance is 4k7, tamper results in an open circuit and either shock or reed opening result in a 9k4 resistance. Is this an acceptable way to wire them for a Siemens panel? Since the inertia and reed sensor are indistinguishable from the wiring am I correct to assume that the panel is calling rapid fluctuations as being due to the inertia sensor but a stable 9k4 resistance as the window opening?

Finally, I am currently on firmware version 3.45. Is there anywhere that a self-installer can get SPC panel firmware upgrades from or is do you have to be registered with Siemens?

Thanks in advance... Z

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi
    Yes the best practice on the windows would be to wire contacts to all openings. These can be seriesed into the existing loops.
    Your understanding of the duel wiring and how it works is correct. The Siemens Panel can configure what resistor can be used. This can be programmed individually on a per zone basis.
    You can upgrade the panel yourself via the browser. I will PM you the new firmware files.
    When you upgrade to and beyond 3-6-0 the browser compleatly changes and you then use the new app and portal Spc Connect.
    In the coming weeks SPC Connect.com will also upgrade giving you polling and notifications in the event of network fails.
    This is server end. You will not have to upgrade further.
    Before you upgrade the panel make sure you download a backup of the config file.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 zagadka

Thanks for the help KoolKid. Sensors on the smaller windows is something I will add when I have the system up and running then.

Thanks... Z

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That's fine. It's easily done at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

KoolKid wrote: »
    giving you polling and notifications in the event of network fails.

When is this being released? Any date?

Testing at the moment. The next couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭altor

zagadka wrote: »
    Hi, Thanks to the interesting discussions I have read on here I am self-installing a Siemens SPC4320 and I have a few queries.

The old system (which I inherited when I bought the house and appears to have been out of commission for many years) was wired with Aritech 611 inertias that I plan to reuse. The windows have a small upper pane and a large lower one. Only the lower pane has a reed sensor on; is this a typical arrangement and what is the best practice strategy for these openings?

I found an old PDF from Altor showing how to wire inertia sensors (I can't post a link but the file was "ALTOR DUAL PLUS SINGLE WIRING.pdf" and was on thread 2056653196 "Best use of a 4 core cable"). In this scheme, normal resistance is 4k7, tamper results in an open circuit and either shock or reed opening result in a 9k4 resistance. Is this an acceptable way to wire them for a Siemens panel? Since the inertia and reed sensor are indistinguishable from the wiring am I correct to assume that the panel is calling rapid fluctuations as being due to the inertia sensor but a stable 9k4 resistance as the window opening?

Finally, I am currently on firmware version 3.45. Is there anywhere that a self-installer can get SPC panel firmware upgrades from or is do you have to be registered with Siemens?

Thanks in advance... Z

You can also if you have enough cores split up the contact and shock to separate zones.

So, I have upgraded my panel firmware to 3.6.5 (thanks very much KoolKid) and now I am getting the following error message:

> The firmware in this panel is not supported by SPC Pro...
    > Please upgrade your SPC panel firmware before reconnecting...
    > Current Firmware version in panel = 3.6.5 - R.19700

Presumably this actually means I need to upgrade SPC Pro (currently 3.4.5). Is that correct? Is there a source where normal people can get it?

Also, I am going to change my old Aritech 611 inertias; what are peoples opinions of the mechanical inertias (Aritech 711) vs an electronic one such as the Texecom Impaq?

Thanks... Z

I will send you the newer version of Spc pro.
    I would recommend GS613 from UTC (Aritech)

Wonderful, that has worked perfectly. Thanks very much KoolKid.

Out of curiosity, what is it that you prefer the 613? Do you find them more reliable than the electronic inertias or is the extra cores that you don't like?

More reliable, easier wiring & more space.

• Advertisement

Good to know, thanks... m

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Frank Tp

Hi koolkid,
    Just finished installing one of these with some help from a knowledgeable electrician friend of mine and all is nicely up and running with the exception of registering it with the portal.
    I spotted your post on the newer GE and portal changes and was wondering if you could pm me the new FW for both the panel and the SPC PRO ( looks like I need both judging from the thread)

Btw, I have a sizeable z-wave installation that is growing and plan to use my Home Center 2 to arm and disarm the alarm as well as report notifications. If anybody is in the same space please PM me your interest and I'll let you know how I get one.

Secondly ( and this might be common practice but I have never seen it so forgive the post...)
    I spray painted the door and window sensors to match the respective colours of the frames and surfaces and you can hardly see them now. I got the two RAL colors and got the spray paint made up from a company in cork. If you are starting a installation it may be worth the effort. I'll try and attach pictures.

Thanks
    Frank

I will send you the newer version of Spc pro.
    I would recommend GS613 from UTC (Aritech)

If you have the panel up and running on 360 or higher you can just register the panel to your spc connect account. What problems are you having there?

I have pmed you the latest spc pro.

Hi,
    Was the upgrade process straight forward enough ?
    Any tips/tricks I should watch out for .. currently running 3.4.5

Thanks

zagadka wrote: »
    So, I have upgraded my panel firmware to 3.6.5 (thanks very much KoolKid) and now I am getting the following error message:

> The firmware in this panel is not supported by SPC Pro...
    > Please upgrade your SPC panel firmware before reconnecting...
    > Current Firmware version in panel = 3.6.5 - R.19700

Presumably this actually means I need to upgrade SPC Pro (currently 3.4.5). Is that correct? Is there a source where normal people can get it?

Also, I am going to change my old Aritech 611 inertias; what are peoples opinions of the mechanical inertias (Aritech 711) vs an electronic one such as the Texecom Impaq?

Thanks... Z

Easy enough. Do you have engineer access?
    Remember to download a backup of the config file before you start. 345 to 360 is a major rewrite of the browser.

thanks

I have engineer access and will perform a backup and will download a copy as you suggest.
    looking forward to see how the new UI looks

I'll try and give it a shot this evening
    Easy enough. Do you have engineer access?
    Remember to download a backup of the config file before you start. 345 to 360 is a major rewrite of the browser.

No bother. If you get stuck give me a shout.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi
    Yes the best practice on the windows would be to wire contacts to all openings. These can be seriesed into the existing loops.
    Your understanding of the duel wiring and how it works is correct. The Siemens Panel can configure what resistor can be used. This can be programmed individually on a per zone basis.
    You can upgrade the panel yourself via the browser. I will PM you the new firmware files.
    When you upgrade to and beyond 3-6-0 the browser compleatly changes and you then use the new app and portal Spc Connect.
    In the coming weeks SPC Connect.com will also upgrade giving you polling and notifications in the event of network fails.
    This is server end. You will not have to upgrade further.
    Before you upgrade the panel make sure you download a backup of the config file.

Hi, would you be able to send me the firmware and new version of spc pro too?

PMed you that.

Hi Guys, All is working pretty well except for the external bell (which I deliberately left until last to fit). I can't get it work...

There is no voltage between either EX+ / EX- or IN+ / IN-. There is ~13V between each of the positives and the auxiliary 0V and a few mV between each of the negatives and the auxiliary 0V; it looks like the 0V is floating. Is there a setting or bridge I need to make to get an output on these terminals or is it duff?

Thanks... Z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 toffimeister

PMed you that.

Just received a SPC4320 with old firmware. Can you PM me latest firmware please?

Thanks,

toffimeister

No problem.:)
    I PMed you everything you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gavoh

Hi Koolkid
    You've helped so many people, I wondered if you could help me?
    I have a Signet 200 with 1.4b firmware and would like to upgrade to SPC firmware and get the 4220 to the latest Firmware as well.
    Could you supply the files I would need as you have for so many.
    Many Thanks

PMed you everything you need.
    Any bother give me a shout.

you're a hero KoolKid.
    thank you very much for your help.
    😊

Your welcome. Did you get all set up with SPC Connect?
    Remember to enable network in notifications and edit the SPC Connect ATS polling to Category 4 for 3 minute notifications on network fail.

All upgraded to 3.6.6 with no problems.
    I can connect via SPC Connect on PC and mobile apps.
    ATS polling set to Cat 4 as you adviced, great for notification of bband down and up.
    Again thanks for the help.

Your welcome. That panel has some excellent features.Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lauvring

Hey Koolkid - can you help me with the firmware and new version of spc pro too?

• Advertisement

Hi
    I sent you a PM with everything you need.

Advertisement