Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Text service being removed from Eircom Landlines

Options
  • 28-08-2014 2:07pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads, I was sent this message and I'm sharing it as a sticky for people attention. I'll leave it there for a couple of weeks.

We have been asked by Eircom Limited to bring the following message to the attention of the National Monitoring Centre Forum.

In the coming months Eircom Limited plans to remove functionality that supports their 'Fixed SMS' service (the ability to send and receive SMS via a fixed line phone). Eircom and ourselves are aware that there is an installed base of alarms that use this technology for alerting owners and/or Monitoring centres, and possibly models on the market still being sold or installed using fixed line SMS for reporting/monitoring.

In that regard it is essential that the National Monitoring Centre Forum members are aware of the cessation of the service, so that no new installations take place that rely on this technology and also so that alternative arrangements can be made for clients of your members that currently have alarms using this technology.

Please note that mobile SIM, electronic pulse or internet based solutions will continue in place, this only applies to fixed line SMS services.

The company has not yet confirmed the date this service will cease as they are eager to liaise with the National Monitoring Centre Forum to ascertain the numbers using this service and the timelines required to allow users to find new solutions.

The company have requested the Forum's feedback/views on the issue which should be sent to :

<snip contact details removed>

The Authority is concerned that consumers and businesses would be left with alarms that are not functioning to specification after the SMS service is switched off and is determined that the message gets out as widely as possible to the industry and the general public. We would appreciate your assistance in this matter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

I am gonna be very cheesed off if Eircom drops their SMS service on my fixed landline.

I mean they are a service provider. So provide the service!

I'll no longer have a reason to stay with them if they drop the SMS service. They'll lose me as a customer and I'll go to UPC or the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Absolutely no reason for me to stay with sky so ? As they use eircoms lines they wont be able to provide text either ?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lyncher2014

And I have only gone back to eircom in the last month or two aswel.

I was thinking that all the providers rent the lines from eircom, I was with vodaphone so does that mean they won't be able to use text also?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I was thinking that all the providers rent the lines from eircom, I was with vodaphone so does that mean they won't be able to use text also?

I would imagine that is the case alright. I have never been an advocate of a security system texting someone when it activates.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

They all use the Eircom line to provide the text and Eircom bills them for it. When this is turned off it will be off for them all. It has being coming as they are losing money keeping the service up and running.

Adding a voice dialer to existing alarms using the text function should work in all cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

altor wrote: »
    They all use the Eircom line to provide the text and Eircom bills them for it. When this is turned off it will be off for them all. It has being coming as they are losing money keeping the service up and running.

Adding a voice dialer to existing alarms using the text function should work in all cases.

It was originally setup with text from landline to landline in mind. That never took off and it really was only intruder alarms that were using it.

Yeah but text is a strong point for AIO units... suppose HKC and Riscos ip services will take over. Alot of 8/12 self monitored will be upgraded i imaging as paying what €320 for the gsm - p isnt practical when they could get the 10/70 with the secure comm installed for a little more which would make more sense.

Evolution1 wrote: »
    Yeah but text is a strong point for AIO units... suppose HKC and Riscos ip services will take over. Alot of 8/12 self monitored will be upgraded i imaging as paying what €320 for the gsm - p isnt practical when they could get the 10/70 with the secure comm installed for a little more which would make more sense.

A voice dialer would be the cheaper option rather than pulling out a perfectly good alarm system. Unless of course you want these extra features :) If the 10/70 is installed then the text function can be turned off and voice activated for self monitoring.

A voice dialer would be the cheaper option rather than pulling out a perfectly good alarm system. Unless of course you want these extra features :) If the 10/70 is installed then the text function can be turned off and voice activated for self monitoring.

Yeah, that's the great thing with the DTV having text, voice and CSM.

Just to put it out there. Siemens from next month will have email notifications via SPC secure.

Only down side is the voice dialler for an 8/12 wont give exact alarm event

• Advertisement

Individual outputs from panel connected to the individual inputs on the VD. A separate message is recorded on the VD for each event.

Individual outputs from panel connected to the individual inputs on the VD. A separate message is recorded on the VD for each event.

I know that eg alarm/fire/panic outputs but it wont let you know that the front door was tripped then an entry fault then the hall beam followed by the landing beam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

There's no reason why someone couldn't provide SMS for alarm monitoring on the landline network other than eircom.

Its just using a trick of caller ID to deliver the messages.

I'd say the issue is that they're getting no traffic over it and they're probably just about to upgrade their voice network to an IP-based system so, maybe its just not something they're too bothered with supplying anymore.

Someone doing alarm monitoring could easily buy the gear to continue the service.

It's not actually part of the exchange systems or anything like that. When you send an SMS you're making a very simple modem call to a number that recognises your caller ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Aah now, that's going back to the stone age.

Can anyone guesstimate how many Eircom landlines are used for SMS alarm messages?

I know that eg alarm/fire/panic outputs but it wont let you know that the front door was tripped then an entry fault then the hall beam followed by the landing beam.

When you stated alarm events that normally means Alarm Panic etc.

deandean wrote: »
    Aah now, that's going back to the stone age.

Can anyone guesstimate how many Eircom landlines are used for SMS alarm messages?

Not really stone age stuff Dean.

Outputs are used for many different things.

I'd say the amount of lines using sms is actually tiny and I can understand why eircom are closing it down.

I thought I heard a few years ago that HKC were working on their own messaging centre.

I'm not aware of #anyone# who actually uses the landline SMS service for anything else.

The phones never really had very good interfaces and nobody's going to send private texts to a non secure shared landline anyway. It's really a solution in search of a problem other than that it's been very handy for alarms.

I'd say either the server's too old and needs replacement or they're replacing whatever aspect of the network it runs on.

It's possible the vendor mightn't even exist anymore or pulled support too.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

They will lose even more market share I have customers who have stayed with eircom just because of the text service so if that goes they go again eircom shooting them selves in the foot

Agreed, the GSM off this system would.
    The only thing is I cant see too many people taking out a perfectly working alarm just to know what zone activated.

stuartkee wrote: »
    They will lose even more market share I have customers who have stayed with eircom just because of the text service so if that goes they go again eircom shooting them selves in the foot

That's the thing, the volume of SMS going through it might have been quite low but the number of landlines it was keeping alive might have been significant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Seq uence

I feel this move by Eircom was always going to happen. Nobody bothers with tex via the home phone. I for one am happy its going. As for voice digis? is that not a step backwards?
    Smartphone apps and IP is the future. What difference does it make if a voice alert does not give you much information of what has happened. If you log in with an app you will get all the detail you require.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I've just been on to Eircom & was told by two seperate agents (who then checked with their supervisor) that they have no plans to remove the functionality & that it would be physically impossible for them to do so :confused:

BTW: Did anyone officially announce that eircom were removing the service or is this just an unsubstantiated rumour?

I don't think they'd actively withdraw a service unless it were costing them money or they weren't keen on upgrading whatever equipment supplies it.

It's worth understanding how the voice network actually works though to understand why these services might be or not be impacted by changes.

Structure:

Core Network: You've 46 exchanges called MSUs (Main Switching Units). These are the main exchanges in every area. Many of them also connect end users, but some only talk to other exchanges. These are where most of the intelligent features of the network live at a local level and they handle all the fancier functions of routing, billing, sending traffic to other networks etc.

Some routing and intelligent network stuff is done at this level too. These are all hugely interconnected as a big mesh network that was literally built with the cold war in mind! If a town disappeared off the map, the network would work around it.

Then you've got over 1200 Remote Subscriber Units. These are usually what most people will know as their local exchange. Effectively they're just a part of the MSU remotely located near end users to avoid vast amounts of copper wiring. They're pretty simple, dumb equipment that just contains lots of line cards that connect end users. The MSU manages everything they do.
    Then you've got tertiary services delivered by switches and servers that sit on top of the network. These include things like international connectivity (International Gateway Switches), certain connections onward to other networks where they're done centrally, intelligent network services that do things like provide premium rate calls, 1800, 1890 etc.. etc... It's likely the SMS system is just a server sitting at that level somewhere.

Eircom, in common with most other telcos around the developed world is migrating from TDM (Time Division Multiplexing) networking (old style digital) to IP (Internet Protocol). This means they'll be basically sending all their voice and ISDN traffic through the same network as any other type of data and using highly managed QoS (quality of service) to ensure that the packets all come out at the correct time. The result is that you end up with a much higher capacity and more efficient network.

To do that they basically replace the tertiary services (already done AFAIK) and then the MSUs with more modern IP equipment.
    The local exchanges and the familiar services that we use on landlines are unlikely to be impacted at all and they've no particular plans to end POTS service in any plan that I've ever seen them publish or submit to ComReg anyway.

I don't see any particular reason why the upgrades would require them to ditch SMS services on landlines as they're just injected into the network from a server somewhere.

Where it might not work is if you were to move to a VoIP service delivered over your broadband line rather than using the line cards in the local exchange. Although, I can't see why not as it's just using a trick of Caller ID and a very very slow 1200 bps modem to deliver the SMS.

To send an SMS the alarm or phone just dials a number, modem answers - sends 1200 bps modem traffic very quickly. The server recognises your caller ID and sends it on and bills you.

To receive an SMS, the server rings you showing a specific caller ID, your phone/device recognises that's the SMS centre and immediately answers - modem sends 1200 bps data stream and that's your incoming SMS.

It's just a way of hacking on SMS to a network that never really supported it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Seq uence

Hi Cushie.
    To be honest I would imagine customer service agents would be the last to know or inform you of this.
    Space Time ,thats is a very impressive and informative post ,well done.
    The information was sent from Eircom to the PSA and in turn out to monitoring stations and onto installers etc. The one I seen was fully address from a department in their offices on St Johns Road . The contact details are not included in the version posted above so obviousally it would not be right for me to post that information either.
    But from what I can see both the Eircom & The PSA contact details are correct.

The most likely reason is actually the equipment vendor has pulled the plug on support. I don't think the landline SMS service has been popular anywhere in the world.

Apparently eircom know nothing about the service and don't even know how many customers use the service.

It's been left working away without any real expertise within eircom.

From what I've been told there's approx six months left of the service.

Apparently eircom know nothing about the service and don't even know how many customers use the service.

It's been left working away without any real expertise within eircom.

From what I've been told there's approx six months left of the service.

The problem is that people don't really use the service.

How often does an alarm system send an SMS?
    Maybe a few times a year at most?

They are making maybe 20 cent out of each alarm at that rate maybe every 6 months!

Perhaps the sensible solution might be to offer it as a subscription service for say €3.99/month and see if there's any uptake before they close it down.

Eircom would have no idea that you were using the service for an alarm, they might just see that you've sent 3 text messages in 2013 which wouldn't really indicate that you're actively using the service at all.

Bear in mind that there were 2,021,691,852 SMS messages sent in Ireland in the last quarter!!
    I'd doubt eircom's landline SMS service is even seeing .0000001% of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

There are a lot of people out there who have alarms set up to use this and now they will be let down and will have to go through expense and hassle.

Got this in mail today.

324360.JPG

• Advertisement

It was a pretty bad idea to become so reliant on what turned out to be a very obscure supplementary service that's not regulated by ComReg under the universal service obligation or even the licence that eircom operate under.

The reality is that eircom are seeing almost no usage of the service even if alarms use it, they don't generate much traffic so eircom makes no money out of them.

You can easily see how they concluded that nobody's using the service. Mobile SMS generates billions of messages. I'd be surprised if the landline system is even processing thousands.

The only way I could see them keeping it is if it could be subscribed to?

Would it be worth say 3.99 a month?

Advertisement