Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

sdanseo wrote: »
    It won't be a national road surely? Won't it be re-designated RXXX?

They may keep a 100km/h limit on it though. I'd say there'd be uproar if they don't and national guidelines - widely and pathetically ignored by councils - state that if it has wide shoulders it should stay at 100km/h.
    The N17 from Bothar na dTreabh to the Kilmore roundabout south of Tuam is being redesignated the N83, which will presumably secure its 100km/h being kept.

There's plans for a bus corridor along part of the route so that part of the route will likely be reduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Jumping in here as I have tried to search the thread without sifting through the whole thing without success!

Can anyone tell me how many km it will be from Gort to the intersection with the Dublin/Galway motorway, I think its the Rathmorrisey interchange?

Also how far apart are the Killtiernan and Rathmorrisey junctions?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Damiencm wrote: »
    Jumping in here as I have tried to search the thread without sifting through the whole thing without success!

Can anyone tell me how many km it will be from Gort to the intersection with the Dublin/Galway motorway, I think its the Rathmorrisey interchange?

Also how far apart are the Killtiernan and Rathmorrisey junctions?

The answer to the first is 27km, the second hard to know exactly but probably about 16k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The m17 at the annagh hill footbridge looking towards rathmorrisy with line painting now complete 23/06/17IMAG3911_zpspkggwxc9.jpglooking towards tuamIMAG3912_zpsuhion6tu.jpgthe slip roadIMAG3910_zps25vbiqdg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

What's with the concrete section between the barrier and road?

• Advertisement

Truckermal wrote: »
    that's if they want to do work on the footbridge in the future,so the don't have to close the motorwayIMAG3655_zpsxplah4mo.jpg

The kilmore roundabout 23/06/17IMAG3916_zpsjsh7cd4o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

First time look,ing at this thread and have to say great pics by M17.

I have a few questions is the Tuam bypass opened yet? (Just the bypass section) On the N17 from Claremorris road roundabout to the other side of Tuam on the N17 to Galway.

Also anyone any idea when the full road will be opened by any dates giving yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

First time look,ing at this thread and have to say great pics by M17.

I have a few questions is the Tuam bypass opened yet? (Just the bypass section) On the N17 from Claremorris road roundabout to the other side of Tuam on the N17 to Galway.

Also anyone any idea when the full road will be opened by any dates giving yet?

A few dates have been given by M17 & explanations by marno, basically summarised as
    -bypass August Bank Holiday
    -whole road ready early September
    -whole road open early November because the department won't fund operating costs for it opening ahead of schedule.

The m17 at kilseagh looking towards rathmorrisy 23/06/17IMAG3907_zpsoirjqngd.jpgkilseagh looking towards tuamIMAG3909_zps9yti9f83.jpg

• Advertisement

RATHMORISSY 22/08/152017-06-25_02-03-15_zpsmr2tbysw.jpg25/06/17IMAG3703_zpsoewcdukt.jpg

The m17 at cloonkeen north looking towards tuam 25/06/172017-06-25_01-49-48_zpsgmcleujj.jpgcloonkeen north looking towards rathmorrisyIMAG3930_zpsavtznymm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Looks like wearing course is down at Kiltiernan southbound lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Truckermal wrote: »
    The barrier is interfering with the line of sight, so they can't have cars (other vehicles have a higher sitting position) right next to the barrier. It's more to see the road surface that to see other vehicles.

marno21 wrote: »
    The N17 from Bothar na dTreabh to the Kilmore roundabout south of Tuam is being redesignated the N83, which will presumably secure its 100km/h being kept.
    So the state is spending hundreds of millions building a motorway, but the state (not the council) will retain full responsibility for the existing road?

Galway is doing a speed limit review at the moment, so the existing N17 can be looked at anyway - it doesn't need to be a national route.

The m17 at kileelaun looking towards rathmorrisy 25/06/17IMAG3915_zpsxjzi52jy.jpgkileelaun looking towards tuamIMAG3918_zpsekq8hmqe.jpgroadbridge have only 700 metres of the wearing course left to do which the will have done by tomorrow

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Victor wrote: »
    So the state is spending hundreds of millions building a motorway, but the state (not the council) will retain full responsibility for the existing road?

Galway is doing a speed limit review at the moment, so the existing N17 can be looked at anyway - it doesn't need to be a national route.
    Yes indeed. After May 2017 you'll have a national secondary route shadowing the N17, for no apparent reason other than that it used to be the N17. Don't think this has happened anywhere else in the country once, let alone twice.

The N67 will also be extended along the current N18 as far as Galway from the junction in Kilcolgan.

Of course the real reason the N17 is becoming a national secondary is:

1. We all know the M17 isn't going to solve the Claregalway problem and Galway CoCo don't want to have to stump up for the inevitable Claregalway Relief Road.
    2. Galway CoCo complaining they can't maintain the existing N17, N18 and N66 due to fund shortages. Does that mean we'll be seeing the same situation in Wexford when the M11 and N25 open? Tipperary etc have had no issue taking on substantial sections of the N7, N8, N24, N74 & N75.

1. We all know the M17 isn't going to solve the Claregalway problem and Galway CoCo don't want to have to stump up for the inevitable Claregalway Relief Road.
    2. Galway CoCo complaining they can't maintain the existing N17, N18 and N66 due to fund shortages. Does that mean we'll be seeing the same situation in Wexford when the M11 and N25 open? Tipperary etc have had no issue taking on substantial sections of the N7, N8, N24, N74 & N75.

1. This road will be built after the Motorway opens. That's old news. As for
    2. That's nothing more than politicking for more funding. This is nothing new when councils have to take on more work. Just look at the grass cutting mess

1. This road will be built after the Motorway opens. That's old news. As for
    2. That's nothing more than politicking for more funding. This is nothing new when councils have to take on more work. Just look at the grass cutting mess
    Yes, but what I'm saying is the State are paying around €250m for a motorway to bypass Claregalway along with the €593m Galway bypass to solve this mess. Given the urgent roads needs elsewhere, Galway CoCo should be told to jog on and fund their own Claregalway relief road if they want. I don't see why the National Roads Authority has to maintain and upgrade a regional road shadowing a motorway, serving a small village on the outskirts of Galway city.

It hasn't happened elsewhere so I see no need for it to happen here.

It seems to be a Galway thing. Wanting an airport with 2 within 45 minute drives, railways and motorways to here there and eveywhere so that people can live in massive ribbon developments along approach roads and expecting the State to stump up for all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I use the N17 to get to Galway but when the new M17 is built I will more than likely take the M17 from Tuam and then take the M6 into Galway. I will travel both ways one day old N17 and M17 and time and calculate the distance and see which one is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Victor wrote: »

Yes indeed. After May 2017 you'll have a national secondary route shadowing the N17, for no apparent reason other than that it used to be the N17. Don't think this has happened anywhere else in the country once, let alone twice.

The N67 will also be extended along the current N18 as far as Galway from the junction in Kilcolgan.

Of course the real reason the N17 is becoming a national secondary is:

Does that mean the R446 from Roscam to Oranmore (old N6) will be redisgnated N67 as well?

I use the N17 to get to Galway but when the new M17 is built I will more than likely take the M17 from Tuam and then take the M6 into Galway. I will travel both ways one day old N17 and M17 and time and calculate the distance and see which one is better.
    I'll expand here a little. Given the likelyhood of major traffic issues at the Coolagh roundabout on the N6, it may be felt by many that there's little advantage to using the M17 to go to Galway at peak times, especially with the extra difference and the guaranteed lessening of traffic in Claregalway (there will no longer be N18 originating traffic going through Claregalway so it will def be lighter).

Does that mean the R446 from Roscam to Oranmore (old N6) will be redisgnated N67 as well?
    Likely so. Here's what we know so far.

* N18 from Kilcolgan to Gort will be a continuation of the R458 which currently runs from Shannon to Gort (old N18)
    * N18 from Kilcolgan to Oranmore will become N67. I presume this will continue to the N6 at the Coolagh roundabout.
    * N18 from Oranmore to Claregalway will become the R381.
    * N17 from Bothar na dTreabh to Tuam will become the N83
    * N17 through Tuam will likely be now an L road
    * N63 from Annagh Hill to Loughgeorge will become the R354.
    * N66 from Gort to Loughrea was planned to be detrunked entirely owing to it being a glorified boreen along most of its length. I haven't heard anything about it in a while although Galway CoCo may be kicking up a stink about this one too seeing as they probably want a realigned bridge near Kilchreest but "can't afford it". For all N18 -> N6 traffic not just Gort-Loughrea traffic (which in fairness would be deserving a regional road, neither are large towns), it's faster to use the M18 and M6 via Rathmorrissey (for example going from Ennis to Athlone).

Note that the motorway will be much better for fuel consumption - less braking and acceleration.

At the moment the n17 kilmore roundabout to galway city 31.8kms,in November when the m17 opens the kilmore roundabout to galway city m17/m6 will be 45.2kms

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

m17 wrote: »
    At the moment the n17 kilmore roundabout to galway city 31.8kms,in November when the m17 opens the kilmore roundabout to galway city m17/m6 will be 45.2kms

Jaysus the 14K extra will really eat into the cost-benefit. Even with decent speed on most of the journey, your hitting Parkmore traffic in morning if you use the m17.

I can't see a significant move to this for city-centre or westbound traffic. I guess this is not news to anyone. Bring on the bypass.

The m17 4kms form tuam looking towards rathmorrisy 26/06/17IMAG3928_zpshi3hsbpb.jpglooking towards tuamIMAG3927_zpstpp6h06y.jpgthe jersey barrierIMAG3926_zps3idlufyd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

* N18 from Kilcolgan to Gort will be a continuation of the R458 which currently runs from Shannon to Gort (old N18)
    * N18 from Kilcolgan to Oranmore will become N67. I presume this will continue to the N6 at the Coolagh roundabout.
    There are Wild Atlantic reasons why the N18 should stay an N road. No such reason exists for the (soon to be) N83 though. In fact the whole N83 (including the new section) should be detrunked.
    Tipperary etc have had no issue taking on substantial sections of the N7, N8, N24, N74 & N75.
    Maybe, but what are the traffic volumes like on those roads now?

And compare that to what the traffic will be like on the N83 (old N17) when the motorway is finished. A few mornings of sitting in traffic on the M6 on the outskirts of Galway (possibly as far back as Oranmore) will result in people using the old road again.

In the absence of the Galway Bypass, Galway Co Co obviously successfully argued that the Tuam->Galway road will still have substantial volumes.

I could imagine that TII might have agreed to the N83 designation until the Galway Bypass is built, but that's speculation on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

serfboard wrote: »
    In the absence of the Galway Bypass, Galway Co Co obviously successfully argued that the Tuam->Galway road will still have substantial volumes.

I could imagine that TII might have agreed to the N83 designation until the Galway Bypass is built, but that's speculation on my part.

I'd say it would be easier to progress on the Claregalway bypass if it remained an N road. I think Lusk is the only example i can find of an R road getting one in the whole country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sallins (starting imminently). Graiguenamanagh. There are others too

Advertisement