Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wedding Music (Band, DJ, Singer) ONE POST PER BAND ONLY! Read post #1 First!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 cat_d

my band is €1750 and said they do the DJ as well for an extra €250.

we havent started looking into DJs yet and were wondering is this a deal or will people be sick of the band members by the disco? is it a deal? or should we mix it up a bit by getting a separate DJ? We are in the munster region so we have lists of DJs from Kerry Cork and Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mummymum

Hey - anyone got any feed back on 'Springbreak' as their wedding band. I know they are an excellent band, with excellent musicians, but how are they as a wedding band? All comments welcome.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd use the band. They'll be using their own equipment so you'll be straight into the DJ's tunes after the band finishes, no waiting around while the gear is getting it's final jiggery pokery.

I would imagine you'd pay a separate DJ around €400 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Hi there,

Check out our site below. Friendly professional service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 earmuff

That's a good idea - I would use the band. As Mr Magnolia says the gear is already in place and should make it more seamless.

And for €250 it's not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hells bells

Anyone heard of the ratzingers wedding band?

yea seems like a good deal. have you priced others to do the same job?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

any dj worth their salt will be ready to start the minute the band are finished.
    I have seen a few bands doing dj over the years and basically, most of them
    play a mixed cd whilst they are taking their gear apart. A lot of money for little
    effort. Most djs will let you choose the exact choons you do and don't want
    to hear. But hey, obviously I'm biased! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Petrolium Hat

I've seen them before, they're excellent. Go check them out. Theyre abit jazzy but can cater for different tastes im sure.

thanks for reply. Have u seen them at a wedding? recommended to me by a friend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Petrolium Hat

Seem them elsewhere, but know a couple who have booked them for their wedding.

Find out when theyre playing and go see them for yourself is your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 CDUK

I went to a wedding last weekend and the band did the DJing. They used a laptop balanced on top of the amp placed on a chair! Not very professional and they just used media player! A couple of times it went quiet when they were in the jacks and couldn't mix in the next track! The bride paid E1300 as she knew them, but they usually charge E1500. Can't remember the name of the band as was a bit drunk by then! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 45 EyeOnTheBall

eoin_s wrote: »
    Other things I have been told to look out for:

Make sure you are paying for a 3 hour set - some bands will charge what seems like a reasonable rate, but this only covers 2 hours. This can leave you with an hour gap between the band and the DJ, which can dampen the evening.

Check if the band will set up before the whole reception - if they do, it will mean less delay between the meal & the music. The venue may not always be able to cater for this though (the band area may be where the head table is).
    There are very few bands that will play a full 3 hour set. In general, bands start at 9.30ish and play until 12 with a 30min break in between.

Also, it's not always easy for a band to set up in advance. It depends on 2 things, firstly it may not be possible to access the room due to the wedding seating arrangements. Generally, the band area is located at the top table (bride and grooms table) as you have already pointed out.

Secondly, if the venue is located a good distance away from the band's point of origin then they cannot be expected to travel early in the day to set up and remain there until late that night. That's too much to ask.

You should ensure that the DJ is ready to go straight away as soon as the band finish. Many bands have a DJ that they recommend, it's worth asking.

But golden rule. Never request the band playlist. Bands go mental when couples ask for this. Bottom line, if you book a band, you must have liked their type of music. Asking them for a set list makes you look like a control freak. This will not make for a happy band. Trust me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I don't agree with all of that - they are not playing a gig to their fans, they are providing a service that they are being paid for. If they are given a bit of notice, I don't think it's too much to expect them to play a couple of songs that the bride and groom may want.

If the venue allows for it, then I would expect them to be set up beforehand. Our venue had a separate dance floor and dining area, so they were all good to go before the guests entered the room for dinner.

If they are travelling a while, then I would expect an extra cost involved for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

'Little Creatures' agre great. My brother had them at his wedding. they played for over 3 hrs, and not too lound. The range of music was good too - something for all ages.

If you are around the Limerick area they play in Clohesseys on the quays quite often

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

There are very few bands that will play a full 3 hour set. In general, bands start at 9.30ish and play until 12 with a 30min break in between.

The band I booked for my wedding were supposed to play for 2.5 hrs including breaks but started at 10 and finished at 12. I was livid. They had already been paid, my wifes brother didn't want to be holding all the cash whilst drinking, so I had no comeback. I complained after arriving back from honeymoon and they said because they brought seven people instead of the five piece we booked they couldn't refund any money. I would have recommended these guys before but no chance now. I think they could have refunded me 20 % of the fee and I would have been happy. If anyone asked me about them now I will tell the truth and that may lose them business.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 EyeOnTheBall

eoin_s wrote: »
    I don't agree with all of that - they are not playing a gig to their fans, they are providing a service that they are being paid for. If they are given a bit of notice, I don't think it's too much to expect them to play a couple of songs that the bride and groom may want.

If the venue allows for it, then I would expect them to be set up beforehand. Our venue had a separate dance floor and dining area, so they were all good to go before the guests entered the room for dinner.

If they are travelling a while, then I would expect an extra cost involved for that.
    '....If they are given a bit of notice, I don't think it's too much to expect them to play a couple of songs that the bride and groom may want.
    .....'

You're absolutely right. Every couple should be able to request their 1st song and maybe a few others. However, some couples ask for the whole setlist (this is frighteningly common). They basically want to give approval for the entire gig. That's uncalled for and the higher profile bands on the scene will not oblige.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You're absolutely right. Every couple should be able to request their 1st song and maybe a few others. However, some couples ask for the whole setlist (this is frighteningly common). They basically want to give approval for the entire gig. That's uncalled for and the higher profile bands on the scene will not oblige.

That's fair enough. As you said earlier, the idea is to pick a band based on the style of music they play, which should cancel out the whole point of having to define their set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 CDUK

But golden rule. Never request the band playlist. Bands go mental when couples ask for this. Bottom line, if you book a band, you must have liked their type of music. Asking them for a set list makes you look like a control freak. This will not make for a happy band. Trust me.

A DJ I know always asks for a playlist, he says it makes sure the couple get the songs they want and the ones they don't! Case in point is he played lady in red, he got a few boos as it was the song for the bride before she met her current H2B! Another time he played a song and was discretely asked to take it off as it was the favourite song of a family member who had passed a few days before!

He says the bride & groom should pick about 10 to 15 songs and he will throw them in during the set, also any songs they don't want he wont play even if someone requests it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lowtown

Hi

I heard that Alchemy a Galway based band are good for weddings - has anyone heard them and if so what did you think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

The Elastic band are a wedding band based in Galway http://theelasticbandwebsite.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cibro

BLACKTYE THE BAND? ANY OPINIONS?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jfcdougal

anyone ever here of the showstoppers, a cork city based band. have heard some good reports about them and i was considering going to hear them play. they ain't cheap though so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 mike99

http://www.route66bigband.com/

There are fantastic well worth checking out:) They are a 16 piece band play jazz etc check out there website for a list of the songs the play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 aideendooley

Smooth Criminals - www.smoothcriminals.info

3 piece band, 3 hour set plus DJ package @ €1800

we booked them for our wedding in '09 2 years ago and they are one of the busiest bands out there

personally i think they are perfectly priced as i have seen friends of mine pay in excess of 2K for bands that sounded like garage bands compared to these guys.

and genuinely nice guys to deal with, they really go out of their way to make sure your day goes off well and your guests have a great night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 erics injun

Hello there. has anyone had KIF for their wedding band. Heard them in pub settings but was wondering what they're like as for weddings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 helenMc

Hi All

Does anyone know if the following bands are any good for a wedding? So many bands are already booked up and I am keen to get one booked!
    - Fraggle Rock
    - Jive Buddies
    - The discovery
    - Tightrope
    - Freebird
    - The elastic band
    - Deja Vu
    - Honeymoon top ten?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bagus

Was at a wedding recently with The Elastic Band.
    10 out of 10. Really got the crowd going from the 1st song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gerod

send me an email, and I'll get you some details. gerodonnell@gmail.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 xmas09

Check out "Little Creatures" - two lads based in north cork but travel all over munster. I've booked them for my wedding next year and they did my two sister's weddings, good craic and very nice, get the crowd going everytime:p Also they do the DJ aswell

Advertisement